Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How much did you spend getting equipment for first baby?

(36 Posts)
RitaPanda Wed 13-Dec-17 14:12:28

If you’ve had a baby recently, how much did you spend in total kitting yourself out? Did anyone make a budget they’d be happy to share? Thanks

PasstheStarmix Wed 13-Dec-17 14:40:36

Hi, we didn't make a budget as such but just tried to get the best quality items for the best price. We thought we'd get value out of them if use again for a second baby so wanted quality as well as a good deal. I took good deal alittle literally buying a whole travel system on eBay and being first time parents we don't know any better and this was a costly mistake. We've since had to buy another pram as I hated the one we'd first got and it's resell value wasn't good. For the price of the two prams together I may as well have gone out and got a whole fancy mothercare travel system with isofix with a pram that converts to tandem at the start (in hindsight I wish we had done this, they even had it on sale!)

My advice for you is go in the shop try everything out before you buy. You can even try it out then buy it cheaper online afterwards. Keep all of the receipts and make sure you can exchange if anything doesn't work out. My baby hated his bouncer (although advised as being from newborn it wasn't very good and didn't have an adjustment to let you alter position) and it's all of these little things you don't realise you need. I thought it looked comfortable so I bought it!
I used to think i don't need this or that or that'll do as we didn't want to pay a bomb for stuff and this attitude has led me to spend more money! Since having ds I realised that actually the things I didn't need I actually did as it made life much easier!

You may not need to spend a bomb but make sure you get all of the functions you need and don't settle if it means only saving a little as like me you'll regret it and be more out of pocket in the long run.

becotide Wed 13-Dec-17 14:42:20

£75, bought it in a job lot from a friend of a friend. New equipment is a complete waste of money.

RoryItsSnowing Wed 13-Dec-17 14:44:02

Spent several thousand in total. If we did it again I'd be way less precious and get most second hand!

Anatidae Wed 13-Dec-17 14:49:18

We didn’t have a budget really. Bought a pram that can cope with serious snow and a decent car seat. That was probably the biggest expense.

Some stuff we bought cheap - Ikea baby bath (used constantly even now for water and snow play) for example.

We aren’t in the uk, if we were we’d have had more hand me downs from family etc, but we had to buy everything new. Babies don’t need much and the only things you should absolutely buy new are mattresses and car seats.

You can do it for quite cheap or you can spend a lot.

What I will say is that for prams, don’t get suckered in by the big travel systems. You won’t use them. Buy a buggy that fits your needs for later on more - mine were:
Foldable
Light
Folds flat
Folds easily
Reversible seat
Bassinet that snaps on
Fits in car
Fits narrow spaces like bus aisles.

Some things people think are useful aren’t maybe for you and vice versa. Everyone told us not to bother with a baby bath but we used ours daily up to a year. Someone bought us a bumbo and that was used once.

krustykittens Wed 13-Dec-17 14:51:41

Far too much, I have to agree with Becotide, get secondhand where you can. For us, the biggest waste of money was a travel cot, we never used it.

presentcontinuous Wed 13-Dec-17 14:52:27

The only things that are worth buying new are a cot mattress for safety and a really good stroller (one that reclines) for the years of use you'll get from it. Definitely not a pram.

babynamelol Wed 13-Dec-17 14:52:33

My dd has just had her first baby and has spent thousands! A bugaboo buffalo travel system (£1200) a Cybex cloud Q car seat (£200) a 4moms mamaroo bouncer chair (although this was a gift from me, £250) a Moses basket and stand (£100) a Chicco next 2 me bedside cot (£200) a sleepyhead (£120), steriliser (£70) and a wardrobe full of clothes! I think it's a bit mad but it's her first baby so I let her get on with it!

PasstheStarmix Wed 13-Dec-17 14:53:26

I'd say if you for second hand always try it out in store first or you'll be stuck with somebody else reject...

babynamelol Wed 13-Dec-17 14:55:21

Oh and a Medela breast pump, £70.

RockinRobinTweets Wed 13-Dec-17 14:56:40

We didn't do too badly. Only advice would be to not pre buy much at all - shops are open all the time and there are lots of 'must have' gadgets that you don't need at all.

Buy a pushchair and somewhere for them to sleep and then see what kind of baby you get and what other kit you need at the time.

The pushchair is the hardest bit!

Chipsahoy Wed 13-Dec-17 14:57:09

Baby doesn't need much. Something to wear, something to sleep in, plus stroller and car seat.
I'm pregnant with dc3. I will be buying a crib, stroller and car seat, plus muslins, nappies, vests, sleepsuits and blankets.
Otherwise buy as you need once baby arrives

PasstheStarmix Wed 13-Dec-17 15:01:21

You see that's where I don't agree with some of the pps. If I'd have bought the travel system I saw in a shop it would have had car seat and all accessories included. It was a bundle also converted into tandem so you could literally use it for years as we were planning on a second close together. It was all a great price too. I didn't do this and ended up buying a system online as it was cheaper and it was rubbish; the wheels didn't swivel, the car seat was a ton weight to carry (being a first time parent I though this was normal and that they must all be this heavy which they weren't.) and the pram was huge and bulky. I managed to get a second pushchair when ds was 5 months old on sale mega cheap (either this or be stuck with current one) it's a very urban pram and he loves it, it's super comfy and an upgrade from last one but it's not the one I wish I'd got and it'll end up being an additional pushchair if I have a second baby )as I'll end up having to go buy the one I should have in the first place)!!

AgainPlease Wed 13-Dec-17 15:01:57

I had a spreadsheet with all items costed and I think the total was just under £3k. First baby, no friends or family around to gift us things or give hand-me-downs.
Buggy was the most expensive item at around £900.

dinosaurkisses Wed 13-Dec-17 15:03:14

Maybe about €600? Perhaps less.

We were lucky in that my parents got us a the travel system with car seat and SIL bought us a bed side cot, so that was the two biggest items taken care of which was massively appreciated.

I don't know how much I spent myself as I bought bits and pieces every pay day from the 20 week scan so it was never a massive splurge- a set of onesies, a pack of vests or cot sheets etc every month meant I gradually built up everything I needed.

Also when mothercare or marks and spencer etc had a sale on I'd pick up a few essentials as they were usually really well reduced.

I also kept a spreadsheet of what I had so I wouldn't lose track and start doubling up on things which really helped.

EssentialHummus Wed 13-Dec-17 15:03:21

The best advice I can give you is that Tesco will not shut its doors the day after you give birth grin.

I bought a heavily discounted Cosatto travel system (£240) , an Ikea cot with removable side that can double as a toddler bed (£60), mattress, Sleepyhead (regret buying) and clothes in various sizes as they came up in sales. car seat was free from a trusted friend. We bought a new ErgoBaby sling but hated it, so switched to another used sling.

DD is three months now and I’m happy with my approach. Definitely try prams and slings before buying, and go for items with longevity if you can.

HaySays Wed 13-Dec-17 15:03:27

Currently preparing for baby number one and we have just sought advice and got what we needed when we've seen it at it's cheapest. We got our Silvercross Pioneer travel system on Gumtree for under £400, given the quality of it (nearly new!) we are so happy with it! (Worth over £1000 with all the added extras.)
Most extravagant purchase is our wardrobe, cot and changing drawers which was £500 but I never wanted this second hand, wanted it all matching and had a specific idea for the nursery and this is actually cheap compared to loads of other sets!
Keeping an eye out for baby monitor we want in the sale but steriliser and little bits like bath and bottles etc. We've just been picking up as we go!

Anatidae Wed 13-Dec-17 15:04:28

That mammaroo bouncer is something I wish I’d had. Ds being utterly resistant to sleeping anywhere, in or on anything...

MiddlingMum Wed 13-Dec-17 15:04:31

A couple of decades ago, but probably more than we needed to. Most things are redundant, just somewhere for them to sleep, some means of wheeling them about and enough clothes to keep them warm. Lots of it was secondhand.

I knew someone who had triplets. Each time they were given things or bought secondhand, she put the money saved into an account. When they were 17 it paid for their driving lessons and tests grin

babynamelol Wed 13-Dec-17 15:04:59

Yeah, if you're going to splash out on one big thing then I recommend that you make sure that you get the pram that you really want.

PasstheStarmix Wed 13-Dec-17 15:05:34

Completely agree with RockinRobinTweets pram the hardest part and thoroughly test them all in store; think about whether it's to fit in boot, to go on buses, out for country walks or all 3. Make sure it does everything you want it to and how long you wish to use it for and for how many kids.

Ljgstorm Wed 13-Dec-17 15:05:54

My first born is seven weeks old now. We spent a lot of money on an egg pram/stroller but as I don't drive I wanted a pram that I could easily fit on a bus as well as one that I was comfortable using — I'm quite short! The other expensive items were a car seat and a comfort baby seven in one cot. Everything else I either got second hand or shopped around for. I bought bottles months ago when mothercare were having a sale and use a cold water steriliser system.

strugglingtodomybest Wed 13-Dec-17 15:06:00

We hardly spent anything. I borrowed loads of stuff from a friend who'd had her first child 14 months earlier, my in-laws bought us the pram we wanted, my parents bought us nursery furniture and then I bought whatever else was needed second hand. Apart from the bumbo which I bought new because I couldn't find a second hand one.

PasstheStarmix Wed 13-Dec-17 15:07:38

Look out for prams in mothercare sale as they reduce them loads as well

PasstheStarmix Wed 13-Dec-17 15:09:37

Don't buy too many of same bottle incase baby doesn't take to it. I breastfed for 6 months was stuck with a load of avent bottles didn't need and the breast pump I hated so ended up buying Medella (ds didn't like medella bottles either). I wasted so much money!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now