Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Are schools allowed to do this?

(65 Posts)
Starlighter Wed 13-Dec-17 13:50:24

My dd is in Year 1 and her school is not the best at communication!

Twice this term (that we know about!), they have taken them out on short local trips (shops and church) without telling the parents. Is this allowed?

It makes me feel uneasy that she’s not in school when I think she is?! Also concerned about adult/child ratios without parent helpers.

Enko Wed 13-Dec-17 13:52:26

Most schools have parents sign a permission slip for thia o entry. Providing this was done yes they are allowed to do so.

Also very good for your child to have such experiences

Enko Wed 13-Dec-17 13:52:37

Most schools have parents sign a permission slip for thia o entry. Providing this was done yes they are allowed to do so.

Also very good for your child to have such experiences

LIZS Wed 13-Dec-17 13:53:07

Have you signed a general permission slip for trips etc?

Pigeonpost Wed 13-Dec-17 13:53:19

We have to sign a form at the beginning of each school year for this.

CleanHankie Wed 13-Dec-17 13:53:46

Do you remember signing a global consent form when she started? There is a chance that you did which means you have given permission for them to take her on short local trips.
Not sure what the exact ratio is at that age but this could be covered with TA's and regular volunteers

dementedpixie Wed 13-Dec-17 13:53:57

We signed a consent form at the start of the year that covered all trips. If it's a big trip involving buses, etc then we get advance warning. I'm sure the school will be able to sort out ratios without needing parent helpers

SparkleFizz Wed 13-Dec-17 13:58:41

The private nursery we used to use had us sign a blanket consent form when our DC joined, saying that it was okay for them to take our DC out on short walks near the nursery, without having to sign additional consent forms for each trip.
Any bigger trips that involved transport by buses or cars needed extra consent forms.

Are you sure that you didn’t get a similar consent form to sign ?

softkittywarmkitty28 Wed 13-Dec-17 13:59:54

We signed a form when they started school giving permission for walks and local trips

Buxbaum Wed 13-Dec-17 14:07:52

This is very normal and as others have mentioned you were probably asked to give your consent for the duration of the year for short local trips. If you're sure that this is not the case, however, then there may be a problem.

Starlighter Wed 13-Dec-17 14:11:33

No problem with the actual trips, Enko, totally welcome them. I just wanted to be informed of them.

Yes, I probably did sign a blanket form, there was lots of paperwork. No issue with permission, just thought we’d be told about when they were actually going on trips. Or at least tell the children the day before or something, so they know what they’re doing.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Wed 13-Dec-17 14:13:43

You'll have given consent in advance. Why do the children need to know the day before so they know what they're doing?
There's no particular advantage to that confused

Buxbaum Wed 13-Dec-17 14:14:32

Our permission form specifically stated that we wouldn't be informed of specific trips.

WRT parent helpers, our class rep has a WhatsApp group of class parents with a valid DBS. When a trip is coming up she puts out a request for help, so if you weren't in the group you wouldn't be directly informed about the trip.

I think it's highly, highly unlikely that they are taking children off-site without the required ratios of adults to children.

NotAnotherJaffaCake Wed 13-Dec-17 14:15:05

AFAIK in England, schools do not have to seek parental permission for trips which occur during the normal school day. The school will (or should be!) ensuring ratios etc are maintained.

Starlighter Wed 13-Dec-17 14:18:41

Well, for instance, last week they went on a 20 min walk to the church in the pouring rain. Some kids didn’t have gloves, hats or wellies as none of us knew about it. (We walk to school, so luckily my dd was kitted out properly) but a little heads up about things like this would help.

I just find it odd the school wouldn’t even casually mention it? I think these trips are a good thing and would be welcomed by the parents, so don’t understand why it’s not public knowledge...

DancingLedge Wed 13-Dec-17 14:23:36

What difference would it make if you knew?

As others have said, rest assured the professionals will be all over adult:child ratios and risk assessments. I'd be glad that DC are in a primary where the staff are prepared to wade through the paperwork necessary for a single child to put a single foot outside the school gates.

MiaowTheCat Wed 13-Dec-17 14:23:42

We signed a permission slip when we started school. They've been on walks up the local nature reserve in the woods, around the local park, to the library etc and all sorts since they started there.

ivenoideawhatimdoing Wed 13-Dec-17 14:25:30

I would not be happy one bit with someone taking my child out of school without my knowledge.

What if there was an emergency and they needed to be picked up immediately?

Yes they have a consent form but I don't imagine any parent would be particularly happy if something happened to their child.

What if they fell and broke their leg on a slippy road? Or by a fluke, probably would never happen, would get left behind? Or got hit by a car. Chances of which are severely reduced when they are where they are supposed to be - school.

Aside from that, it's general common curtesy! How long does it take to send a text to the parents. God knows we get enough already. I think people would maybe want to know where their children are?

Starlighter Wed 13-Dec-17 14:26:49

Ok, well this seems to be the norm then!

Just to clarify though, it’s not the permission side of things that worries me, it’s the not knowing.

underneaththeash Wed 13-Dec-17 14:29:45

DS2's nursery used to do this! I turned up a couple of times and no-one knew where they were.

I just withdrew my blanket permission for trips and they had to ask me on a case by case basis.

Starlighter Wed 13-Dec-17 14:31:26

Thank you, ivenoideawhatimdoing!!!

Yes, I’d just like to know if my child is leaving the school premises. No permission slips needed, no objections, I would just like to know, that’s all.

My dd hasn’t been very well lately, but ok for school. (Cold, cough, etc.) but I might’ve kept her home if I’d known there was a 40 minute (round trip) walk in the rain!

Rockandrollwithit Wed 13-Dec-17 14:32:16

At the school I teach in parents have signed a blanked consent form for local trips (within walking distance).

However, we send a slip home a few days before each trip to inform parents. I do think the school could do this.

TheHungryDonkey Wed 13-Dec-17 14:32:33

My kid’s school take them out all the time which is great. I only need to sign if they are using transport but they often walk everywhere because they’re in the centre of a large city.

However, I would want to know in advance if they are not on school premises. We are always told in advance. Sometimes there are family emergencies. Sometimes shit goes down locally.

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Wed 13-Dec-17 14:34:24

Completely normal and there really would be no need for any prior knowledge on where they were going just as they wouldn't inform you if they had visitors into school.

As for this Well, for instance, last week they went on a 20 min walk to the church in the pouring rain. Some kids didn’t have gloves, hats or wellies as none of us knew about it.

Truly this is the parents fault do they not expect the children to go outside if it rains? Do they not think they might need wellies or hats or gloves for lunch time? Surely it is up to the parents to send their child to school prepared and that means hats and gloves etc in winter whether they know there is a trip or not they should know the children will be outside at some point in the day?

Starlighter Wed 13-Dec-17 14:34:34

Thank you, underneaththeash, I might look into that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now