Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Special birthday London restaurants?

(38 Posts)
whatsthewificode Wed 13-Dec-17 13:47:21

DD will be 21 in February. We're going for a weekend in London and I need to find a really wow place for dinner.
I think the location is as important as the food.

So far I've thought of
Drinks in Sky bar then dinner
The Gerkin
Gaucho
Savoy Grill
but I'm sure there must be better choices.
Any ideas appreciated.

Shoxfordian Wed 13-Dec-17 14:11:55

I had my 30th in M bar & restaurant in the city, was really nice.

Also Duck & Waffle is cool if you want a view

There are some nice restaurants in the Shard as well

PJBanana Wed 13-Dec-17 15:07:58

I had a fantastic experience at Dalloway Terrace last year. It’s ‘outside’ but sheltered with heaters etc, it was truly spectacular and one of the most lovely restaurant settings I’ve ever seen.

It’s also near to a few theatres, so you could combine it with a show if there’s one on that you both fancy seeing.

Erica891 Wed 13-Dec-17 15:16:41

I love Dalloway Terrace. It's just so lovely and we always make sure to go there for special occasions if possible.

PurplePumpkinHead Wed 13-Dec-17 15:21:33

The Fenchurch in the Sky Garden is really lovely.

GeekyWombat Wed 13-Dec-17 15:28:48

No view but Frenchie in Covent Garden is just stunning food and a lovely atmosphere.

I’d love to eat at any of the restaurants at The Shard, or Galvin at Windows for a special occasion.

Rainshowers Wed 13-Dec-17 15:36:36

Duck and Waffle or Sushi Samba both have amazing views and are probably suitably impressive for a 21st

GeekyWombat Wed 13-Dec-17 16:03:04

I’ve just looked up Duck and Waffle. I’m in love!

MachineBee Wed 13-Dec-17 16:04:35

The OXO restaurant.

Or:
1 Aldwych.

OhTinky Wed 13-Dec-17 16:06:01

Bob Bob Ricard has a press for champagne button? Trying to think what would appeal to a 21 yo!

GrimDamnFanjo Wed 13-Dec-17 16:17:49

Londons oldest restaurant Rules in Covent Garden. Not really one for veggies though...

TheresALight Wed 13-Dec-17 16:29:38

Clos Maggiore is really lovely, especially if you ask for a table in the conservatory which is filed with floor to ceiling flowers and greenery. It's near to the theatres Too, and you can order an unlimited gift card which they'll post to you so that she has something to 'unwrap' ahead of the day out.

Newtothismumthing1 Wed 13-Dec-17 16:33:49

Duck and waffle- food is unique and feels special, great view and not as expensive as sushi samba (which personally i find a little pretentious).
Otherwise Hakkasan.

LurkingQuietly Wed 13-Dec-17 16:37:08

Sushi samba
Coq d'argent
The Ned
Duck and Waffle
Anywhere in the Shard
The sky garden
Roka
Nobu
Roast

Off the top of my head. Any of those have wow factor for a 21st. Be prepared for ££££££ though.

NootNoot Wed 13-Dec-17 16:39:14

Gaucho was awesome, the one near Tower Bridge especially
Dishoom is lovely if you like Indian Food
Skybar excellent

Enjoy!

Svalberg Wed 13-Dec-17 16:44:21

Galvin at Windows has great food and a fantastic view (into Buck House back garden). Plus Fred Siriex from First Dates is in charge of FOH. Ask for a window table.

Rainshowers Wed 13-Dec-17 16:49:31

Ooh yes, seconding the Hakkasan recommendation. The food was lovely, but me and DH said afterwards it was a little loud...therefore that probably means we're old and a it's a perfect place for a 21st dinner!

BigGreenOlives Wed 13-Dec-17 16:50:58

Sushi Samba is great, I wouldn’t bother with Rules, but I haven’t been there since 1990 & it felt old fashioned then. Yauatcha & Hakkasan feel pretty special, both are buzzy. Hakkasan has more private spaces (not private rooms but tables with more space around them). What sort of food does she like?

whereiscaroline Wed 13-Dec-17 16:52:09

For her age, I would say Sexy Fish, lovely food and great atmosphere smile

spurtions Wed 13-Dec-17 16:56:22

Hawksmoor is much better than Gaucho
Sexy fish
Nobu
Choco Matte
Coya
Roka
German Gymnasium
Sushi Samba
Wolseley / Delaunay / Fischer’s
Chiltern Firehouse
Any of the restaurants at The Ned

RedCorvette Wed 13-Dec-17 16:57:02

I've been to the Sky Garden/Fenchurch and Oblix/Gong Bar on 52nd floor in the Shard this year.

The Shard was far and away better than the Sky Garden/Fenchurch. I would totally recommend it.

- Prices about the same, but food far better at the Shard. Service better too - I was not pleased we were made to sit at the bar at Fenchurch when there were tables available throughout the time we were there (asked politely to move and were told no).

- Fenchurch views nowhere near as good as the Shard, as you're in the centre of the building. Even if you're not right at the window in Oblix, views still breathtaking.

- Not to sound like a total snob, but we went for a drink to the Sky Garden in early evening and it was full of tourists as the viewing platform is in the same space as the bar. Much more exclusive feel to the Shard as it's all people eating/drinking and the viewing area is a separate thing. Overall, I was a bit underwhelmed in general by the atmosphere in the Sky Garden, it felt like a cafeteria with a few plants.

Shard would win every time for me!

PanPanPanPing Wed 13-Dec-17 16:57:57

Le Colombier www.le-colombier-restaurant.co.uk/home.shtml in the back streets of Chelsea. Brilliant.

Maggie Jones's www.maggie-jones.co.uk/ in Kensington. Quirky and fun (but not good for veggies)

Maggie Jones's sister restaurant, La Poule Au Pot, in Pimlico (see previous website)

whatsthewificode Wed 13-Dec-17 17:02:43

Some fantastic ideas, I'm working my way through them. Thank you so much.
The budget is pretty healthy for the right place.
She eats pretty much anything.

Loud and brash would probably be preferable to formal sadly.
We could go for cocktails at the Shard then on somewhere.

DH suggested La Capice and I loved Sexy Fish so they're in the mix.
She'd love Nobu.

Love the idea of 'press for champagne', Hakkasan and Duck & Waffle look good.

You lot are fab, this is so much better than endless googling

cheshiremama89 Wed 13-Dec-17 17:05:45

Sketch
Sushi Samba
Bob Bob Ricard

whereiscaroline Wed 13-Dec-17 17:17:54

If you're going for cocktails Windows bar is great with fab views. Zuma also does lovely cocktails.

I'm jealous OP, hope you have a great time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now