Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How often do you deep clean your fridge + freezer?

(34 Posts)
PaxUniversalis Wed 13-Dec-17 13:41:04

Very trivial question here but I was wondering how often do you deep clean your fridge freezer? And do you clean in between defrosting sessions, i.e. do you leave the electricity on and just wipe the inside walls of your fridge? Or do you turn it off, defrost, deep clean etc?

I regularly remove the shelves and the plastic trays and I wash them like I wash the dishes and I wipe the inside of the fridge but I don't defrost regularly I'm afraid.
Our fridge freezer is 'frost free' but there's a lot of frost building up in the freezer now so I guess it's time for a deep clean before Christmas!

Anatidae Wed 13-Dec-17 13:44:49

Thinking back, I would say, Never smile

MickeyLuv Wed 13-Dec-17 13:46:44

Same as Anatidae grin

PinkHeart5914 Wed 13-Dec-17 13:48:54

Life is too short for this......

donajimena Wed 13-Dec-17 13:48:55

When I move house. blush

Anatidae Wed 13-Dec-17 13:49:51

Posts like this trigger my ‘oh fuck am I supposed to do that??’ Response

Op if you want to, go ahead. Read the manual to see what the power on/off situation is. Safety first!

InDubiousBattle Wed 13-Dec-17 13:49:56

I wipe down the shelves and inside the fridge (and clean out the veg tray) every week before I do a big shop. I only clean the freezer when we de frost it so very infrequently!

megletthesecond Wed 13-Dec-17 13:50:27

Never.

Shelves get wiped after a spillage and that's it. Don't have meat in the fridge though.

BulletFox Wed 13-Dec-17 13:50:54

Deep clean?? What filth is this?

heron98 Wed 13-Dec-17 13:52:02

Never. Unless I forget to close the freezer door properly which happens from time to time and it gets iced up.

People must have a lot of spare time.

FluffyWuffy100 Wed 13-Dec-17 13:52:24

Fridge?

Wiped if a spillage, or if a cucumber has gone mankey in the salar drawer but cleaned out probably 1 per year.

Freezer - never.

FemaleDilbert Wed 13-Dec-17 13:54:22

Fridge, once every month or two. Freezer never

llangennith Wed 13-Dec-17 13:56:00

When it’s empty enough for me to see it looks grubby. Cleaned it properly last time there was a MN thread like this back in summer.

EnidButton Wed 13-Dec-17 13:57:37

Wipe clean inside fridge every two weeks. Just before a big shop, it's almost empty at that point so easy to do. Do inside the door shelves etc too. Wipe any spillages as they happen.

Defrost once or twice a year. It's a small freezer compartment so any ice build up takes up a lot of the space.

Fridge takes 3-5 minutes, freezer takes 10-15. Not big jobs.

teaortequila23 Wed 13-Dec-17 13:57:40

Fridge more like every 2weeks unless something spills which It mostly does so weekly. Freezer never I have them little clip things so my food doesn’t go all over the freezer

Aki99 Wed 13-Dec-17 13:57:58

I tried it on my fridge once - didn't like it. Now my mum does it when she gets horrified enough and has recently offered to buy me a new one. We've suggested in the New Year

sonjadog Wed 13-Dec-17 13:59:57

Freezer - once a year, fridge - maybe 3 times a year.

PaxUniversalis Wed 13-Dec-17 14:01:06

Fridge freezer deep clean = turn electricity off, unplug cable from socket.
Remove all food + drinks from fridge freezer, remove shelves, trays, plastic baskets, etc. Then wipe the inside of fridge freezer with a damp cloth soaked in a mild detergent. Dry. Wash shelves, trays, baskets.
Put everything back where it was and dispose of food that has gone off or is way past its sell by date.

I do this once a year.

PaxUniversalis Wed 13-Dec-17 14:02:59

Should have added: I wash shelves, trays and baskets every couple of weeks or so, but I don't turn the electricity off and I don't remove all food and drinks all at once. Fridge walls get cleaned about once a year.

danTDM Wed 13-Dec-17 14:03:45

I'm thinking of attempting this in the new year as, like Enid my freezer bit has frosted over and there is little space (even though it's no frost) hmm

Are you telling me it will only take 15 mins to defrost this?

TIA

Oh, and what do I do? Put loads of newspaper on the floor?

EnidButton Wed 13-Dec-17 14:11:05

dan Mines supposed to be no frost too. Hmph.

I have an ice chipping tool. It's just a blunt plastic wide spatula thing. Came with the 'no ice' 😏 fridge.
You are supposed to turn it off (although I forgot last time) then either hack away or, if it's a lot of build up and doesn't come off easily, put a small bowl of boiling water inside to help the ice melt slightly. I put towels down around the floor as I think newspapers would leave print when wet, but I don't know for sure. Brush the loose ice out into a large bowl and dump in the sink.

danTDM Wed 13-Dec-17 14:50:54

Fabulous, thanks Enid
My New Years project after I've finished off all the food over Christmas! Had no idea about the bowl of boiling water and yes, towels make much more sense (plus I don't have any newspapers!)

Thanks flowers

BlackSheepHasKids Wed 13-Dec-17 15:03:00

Freezer - when the drawers barely open any more.
Fridge - when something spills, goes off or it looks too bad to put new food in there.

EnidButton Wed 13-Dec-17 15:13:53

dan Might take longer 15 mins the first time I'm afraid. If you use a bowl of water, stand it on a folded towel so the base doesn't touch the bottom. A big fat car sponge (clean obv) might be handy to mop up the melted bits.

EnidButton Wed 13-Dec-17 15:14:58

dan I'm no expert at it btw. Just hack at it and hope for the best. Helps if you're annoyed about something. grin brew

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now