Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I've accidentally embarrassed someone and now everyone hates me

(271 Posts)
PingMaBalls Wed 13-Dec-17 12:19:23

That's it, really blush I'm sure they don't hate me long term but they did then!

We were exchanging gifts with BIL/SIL/BIL's wife. We said a max of £10 each for each other and had all agreed not to get each other's children this year now my DS is born, funny that

Anyway, I get handed my present and it's a box of Jellybabes... I said "Oooo grin" - Then immediately went on to say "Hold on, these went out of date in 2014" blush

I couldn't help myself, my mouth went into motion before my head. I just read what was on the box (the expiry date), without thinking.

The rest of the evening was really awkward and all just polite talk. BIL and his wife seemed really embarrassed but looked as if they knew all along that they were an old box.

Will in laws hate me forever now?

MIL says what I said is "downright tasteless" sad

MrsHathaway Wed 13-Dec-17 12:21:23

They have a two-year expiry on them usually. So they were bought in like 2012 ...

It's not you that's tasteless.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Wed 13-Dec-17 12:21:37

Jelly babies will be tasteless

alwaysthepessimist Wed 13-Dec-17 12:21:45

OMG why would they give you an out of date box of sweets - tight arsed gits.

Your MIL is wrong as well btw.

onedaywewillfly Wed 13-Dec-17 12:21:48

The only tasteless thing here is those jellybabies op.

TobleroneBoo Wed 13-Dec-17 12:22:05

Your Jelly Babies are likely to be downright tasteless, being 3 years out of date grin

Sorry, I wouldnt worry - thats a bit naff of them!

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Wed 13-Dec-17 12:22:06

And i agre with mrsh its not you that's tasteless

Cheap fuckers

youngestisapsycho Wed 13-Dec-17 12:22:06

Is that all they gave you, a box of out dated Jelly babies? I'd have certainly said something too... they have every right to be embarrassed!

Justmuddlingalong Wed 13-Dec-17 12:22:08

Not as tasteless as 3 years out of date jelly babies. Why should you be the one embarrassed? Is there a back story here OP?

LookImAHooman Wed 13-Dec-17 12:22:11

Your MIL can sod off. That’s a proper CF instance (and slightly grim, even if they’re processed to the point it probably technically doesn’t matter).

onedaywewillfly Wed 13-Dec-17 12:22:20

A mega triple cross post!

MrsHathaway Wed 13-Dec-17 12:22:47

Oh and I would assume they already hated me if I got a present like that. You've lost nothing there hmm

EspressoPatronum Wed 13-Dec-17 12:22:48

But giving you a gift 3 years out of date is the height of Taste and class??
I wouldn't worry about what they think of you op, they don't seem to care what you think of them... Hope you're not too upset.

RestingGrinchFace Wed 13-Dec-17 12:23:11

Obviously you should have said anything but it must have been so surprising that it slipped out of your mouth. I wouldn't hate you for that.

PinkHeart5914 Wed 13-Dec-17 12:23:44

I can’t believe with a £10 max budget someone only got you jelly babies, i mean blimey they put some effort in did they! And they were obviously just around the house as no shop is going to be selling jelly babies 3 years out of date.

Someone should be embrassed here but it’s not you........

GreatDuckCookery Wed 13-Dec-17 12:24:21

I think you were extremely restrained in your responses. Fucking Jelly Babies. 3 years out of date at that?

MyBrilliantDisguise Wed 13-Dec-17 12:24:32

Hang on, they were meant to spend £10 and gave you a three-year out of date box of JELLY BABIES?????

ivenoideawhatimdoing Wed 13-Dec-17 12:25:01

No, OP, the only thing wrong here is the attitude of your family.

They were embarrassed. MIL's response is because she knew and was trying to cover for her son and daughter in law.

I know highly unlikely but what if they'd made you ill? Would it be tasteless to bin the rest?

onedaywewillfly Wed 13-Dec-17 12:25:04

Your thread title should actually read 'I received a box of jellybabies possibly bought 5 years ago for Christmas and now I realise why I hate my in laws'

(Just kidding before the IL police come.)

LanaKanesLeftNippleTassle Wed 13-Dec-17 12:25:52

I'm going to be blunt here.

Fuck your in laws.

They knowingly gave you a shitty, cheap present....it is not for you to be embarrassed by this, and you were quite right to call them out.

Your in laws are the tasteless ones here.
Don't buy them anymore presents, ever.
And don't give them emotion....they clearly are horrible.

ImAMarshmellow Wed 13-Dec-17 12:25:56

Jelly babies wouldn't last 3 hours in my house never mind 3 years.

They should be embarrassed, unless they genuinely couldn't afford to buy you a gift.

PantPlot Wed 13-Dec-17 12:26:51

I've accidentally embarrassed someone and now everyone hates me

Don't worry about it, if they gave you three year old jelly babies they hated you anyway grin

StiltonForDays Wed 13-Dec-17 12:26:56

So they grabbed a box of horrible old sweets out of the back of a cupboard and presented it to you as a gift? They should be embarrassed!

BlackPeppercorn Wed 13-Dec-17 12:26:57

Well I think you were quite in order to mention it. We wouldn't want the, giving such out of date edibles to any children or vulnerable people, such as MILs....would we.
And you're not a food safety expert...are you.
You presumed they'd been 'had' by some less than honest trader...didn't you.

ijustwannadance Wed 13-Dec-17 12:27:34

Wrap them back up and give to MIL next year and see what she thinks then.

They should've been bloody embarrassed at giving you old sweets. They clearly think very little of you.

What did your DH/DP say?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now