Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Describe your Playmobil storage to me

(16 Posts)
HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Wed 13-Dec-17 10:12:41

The DC are really into Playmobil recently, and I have been blithely telling various friends and relatives who ask what they might like for Christmas "Oh, playmobil! They love it all!"

However I have just realised that despite me telling myself it wouldn't take up too much space, it bloody does. It's spilling out of everywhere, there are miniature bottles and plates and little flowers all over the place. This is only the beginning! Christmas will bring a Playmobil deluge!

If you have a Playmobil addict, how do you store all the crap? At the moment I am pouring it all into an Ikea fabric box in a Kallax unit. The problem is that 1) The box is now full and 2) It's too vast for all the tiny pieces, they can never find what they're looking for. So it just gets tipped on the floor angry

Pinterest was no help. It basically suggested building a sort of Playmobil/Lego shrine out of hacked Ikea bits. I do not want a massive altar to Playmobil in my house. I don't have room for one!

Last year, the house was Lego-mad (to be fair they do still play with Lego). But storing the Lego was easy because I bought a load of those oversized Lego storage blocks and heads. Now they sit stacked on a shelf and they look neat and yet fun.

The trickiest thing is that all the sets, the little buildings, don't shrink down (whereas with Lego you can dismantle them down to tiny pieces).

HELP ME I AM DROWNING IN CRAP

doowapwap Wed 13-Dec-17 10:19:51

Ive thought about getting a really small unit with little drawers, a bit like one of those make up storage things, they look good for all the little bits (tiny guns and handcuffs in my house! Oh and helmets)

1981trouble Wed 13-Dec-17 10:31:33

In the dyson

Minty82 Wed 13-Dec-17 10:36:48

Ha, 1981! We have one of those wall units with canvas boxes that slot into the shelves, and one of the boxes is dedicated to PlayMobil. The little bits are all in a total muddle though; I don't think you can avoid that.

Puddinchops Wed 13-Dec-17 10:38:50

How about this?

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B019IGD9TU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ref=plSrch&keywords=lego+bag&dpPl=1&dpID=61dRytqiv4L&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1513161435&sr=8-1

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Wed 13-Dec-17 10:38:53

1981 grin

CoodleMoodle Wed 13-Dec-17 10:39:10

DD is getting Playmobil this year and I'm dreading it for the same reason!

I've got one of those little toolboxes for storing screws/nails/bits in. It's got lots of little plastic slides you can put in, to adjust the size of the compartments. We got ours in Poundland, I use it to store DD's extensive collection of hairclips. Craft boxes might be good as well - the ones to keep buttons and sequins in. Might be fiddly for little hands to open but if you're there to help...

Puddinchops Wed 13-Dec-17 10:42:24

You could stick some of these in the big bag thing too to separate really little bits

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/children-3-7/small-storage/glis-box-with-lid-pink-white-yellow-art-20047450/

CoodleMoodle Wed 13-Dec-17 10:42:32

These are the craft boxes I mean: www.hobbycraft.co.uk/clear-plastic-storage-box-25-x-125-cm/628955-1000

And this is a fancy version of our screw storage box: www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-11-compartment-organiser-case/1518847_BQ.prd

Callmecordelia Wed 13-Dec-17 10:43:39

Trofast. Lots and lots of Trofast.

Sorry.

befbiund Wed 13-Dec-17 11:09:25

I've tried Kallax. That's rubbish for the reasons you describe. I'm now using under bed clear storage boxes. The big stuff in one and the little pieces of crap in another. It's shallower than kallax so they can see stuff. It's still everywhere though.

Mallowmarshmallow Wed 13-Dec-17 11:14:47

Really Useful boxes.
That's what they're called...they sell them at Asda and elsewhere.
They come in different sizes and stack well. We've got some small ones for little Lego/playmobil bits and we then put them inside the kallax alongside the larger bits/stash them in any other empty space we can find

OhMyGoddd Wed 13-Dec-17 11:23:03

This table... sorry

OhMyGoddd Wed 13-Dec-17 11:23:36

Although now I'm covering this ... thing.

Littlestchristmastree Wed 13-Dec-17 11:25:05

I store the large pieces in a huge box with wheels then all the little bits in plastic food boxes like from the Chinese (you can buy these from poundland) then I can sort them into different bits for different sets, tool/craft boxes sounds like it could work but I like that I can stack all the boxes and the kids can easily find what they need. Just pop a sticker/label on to say what's inside.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Wed 13-Dec-17 17:09:21

Brilliant suggestions (except the tables, which I admire and fear in equal measure! I just don't have the floor space for a Playmobil Altar!).

I'm going to try the Lego bag thing and/or the Asda boxes, I think - I think big, but shallow, is the way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now