Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Christmas after they stop believing in Santa

(21 Posts)
Fiona1984 Wed 13-Dec-17 09:57:11

This year will be the first year that DSC no longer believes in Santa. He lasted longer than expected, since he's a clever, very logical child. We just left him to figure it out on his own.
I still want to make it a memorable time for him, although we are not religious.
We moved house not too long ago and are still in a state of disarray, so we can't even decorate like we have in previous years sad
Although we will find a way, somehow?
Any ideas?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 13-Dec-17 09:58:31

I'm not quite sure why anything would change? Presumably he'll still get presents and a stocking and thats the important bit wink

DubiousCredentials Wed 13-Dec-17 10:01:35

Just carry on as before with added winks when FC is mentioned. Once we’d has the initial “it’s all lies” conversation with ds it was never mentioned again tbh. He knows. We know. It’s still Christmas.

blackheartsgirl Wed 13-Dec-17 10:12:24

We still leave the mince pie and carrot and a drink out for Santa for my lot even though they don’t believe anymore. It’s still fun and it’s become one of our traditions

Fiona1984 Wed 13-Dec-17 10:12:45

He's made a list, although he did need encouraging to do that lol, I think he just can't think of much this year, and at 10, he's outgrowing toys as such.
He is getting some surprises that he hasn't asked for from his dad.
He gets loads of presents from our side, his mum and his grandma, its less that I was thinking of though. We're going to try and start some new traditions now we're sort of settled (moved twice in 3 years).
It's the little things I remember from Xmas being young.

Hulder Wed 13-Dec-17 10:14:01

Why would anything change? I carried on leaving mince pies out years after I stopped believing because it's fun. Presents that arrive in the middle of the night are fun too smile

Sarahjconnor Wed 13-Dec-17 10:14:08

We just id everything exactly the same and still do now they are teens. It's all just part of what we do. Including jingling sleigh bells in the middle of the night and making DH eat the carrot for Rudolph. The kids love it smile

Sarahjconnor Wed 13-Dec-17 10:15:35

PS 2 years ago we moved on 19/12 and it was chaos. We made a Xmas den in the living room and decorated and had our dinner in there - it was fun and they talk about how much they liked sitting on the floor watching Home Alone on Xmas Eve

MrsHathaway Wed 13-Dec-17 10:16:59

Things like:

* driving round after dark to look at lit up houses
* hot chocolate at a Christmas market if you're near a big city
* panto
* tea at the pub on Christmas Eve

That last one is something my 9yo now insists on grin

Fiona1984 Wed 13-Dec-17 10:25:04

I can't remember ever actually believing in Santa. I recall pretending to be asleep while my parents crept around getting presents out and putting some in my stocking at the foot of my bed. I daren't move a muscle until they'd gone back downstairs, then I'd just very gently rustle the stocking to hear the gift wrap, trying to guess what I'd got smile
I just don't want him to be sad, like the magic is gone. He's normally uber excited close to the day, so we'll see. Although we don't have him Christmas Eve this year.

titchy Wed 13-Dec-17 10:30:12

One of my dcs is at university, the other sixth form. DH and I still get up at 5am to fill their stocking while they're asleep, and take a bite out of the carrot we leave for Rudolph blush

BrieAndChilli Wed 13-Dec-17 10:35:21

Does he have younger siblings?
DS1 is 10 and we’ve had the conversation, he’s queried it the past couple of years but I managed to just ignore/fob him off but this year I knew the jig was up.
He has a younger brother and sister though so he’s now my little helper- helps move the elf, makes sure advent calendar is filled up etc. He’s finding it fun to say things like he thought he saw an elf etc, in fact I think he’s enjoying Christmas more this year as he doesn’t have that nagging question of whether it’s real or not (whereas DD and DS2 completely believe without question so are still at the it’s all magic and amazing stage)

Fiona1984 Wed 13-Dec-17 10:44:22

No younger siblings, his (half)sister is quite a bit older.
I think he was questioning it last year, he told us early this year that Santa wasn't real.
Might still do the mince pie and carrot thing just for a bit of a giggle. We were talking last night about how his dad eats the pie and bites the carrot.

BertrandRussell Wed 13-Dec-17 10:47:39

Nothing changes, surely? Mine are 16 and 21 and we still do the same things. My 21 year old has had a truly dreadful year, and I got a text yesterday saying how much she was looking forward to Christmas Eve and checking we were going to do all the same things we usually do......

HermionesRightHook Wed 13-Dec-17 10:50:33

Oh just carry on as usual - these things find a way of becoming family traditions even when everyone knows they're silly - show him that you don't need to believe in order to still do the fun stuff.

It sounds like decorating will be hard but could you at least do a small thing like a mini tree to help get him in the spirit?

ArcheryAnnie Wed 13-Dec-17 11:09:28

It's exactly the same as the Christmasses when they do believe in Father Christmas! We do all the same things - advent calendar, stocking, etc., just he knows I've done it, not a random bearded house-breaker.

MrsJayy Wed 13-Dec-17 11:27:50

We still did santa way past when we should have there is no reason not to. We still hid presents did stockings and had christmas children can still have a magical time.

MrsJayy Wed 13-Dec-17 11:31:07

Tbh we never did Santa brought all the presents away Santa was just a lurker in the background when mine were growing up

MrsJayy Wed 13-Dec-17 11:33:11

Dh still insists on his beer for Santa on christmas eve my youngest is 20 grin

MrsHathaway Wed 13-Dec-17 11:46:04

They still wonder how you managed to sneak in the stocking or bite the carrot even though they stayed awake all night to catch you out.

My DC have never literally believed in FC and Christmas is still full of magic and wonder.

Of course there's mad fun things like wrapping the door grin

MrsJayy Wed 13-Dec-17 11:56:10

My friend still wraps the door her children who are still at home are the same age as mine she had pictures on facebook of her sons big men breaking it open

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now