Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Help with (suspected) UTI

(13 Posts)
HoosierDaddy Wed 13-Dec-17 09:44:58

Hello- hope this isn't TMI....

last week I had the urgent feeling of needing a wee frequently, going to loo for nothing to happen, and then (while sitting on loo) the "area" - is that the uretha? Where wee actually comes out? - would feel sore/tender/exposed. It was quite sore, but would pass after I sorted myself out. During the day (between gallops to toilet) I felt like I was stinging a bit.

It passed after a few days. I drank buckets of water to flush it out. Now it's bloody back. Any hints on home remedies? Or does it need an antibiotic? Thanks!

Dowser Wed 13-Dec-17 10:33:28

You can try potassium citrate.
Not on an empty stomach though. It neutralises the acid.
My friend who has 1 and a third kidneys takes bicarbonate of soda, again should receive the sting as it neutralises acid.

Drinking lots of water all the time if you’re prone to this is a good idea
If urine becomes concentrated the salts in urine start to crystallise and can cause teeny tears in the lining of the urinary tracts.

Vogel’s echinaforce with uva ursi is promoted as a herbal remedy for cystitis

Dowser Wed 13-Dec-17 10:34:17

Sorry not on an empty stomach as it might make you feel queasy.

KurriKurri Wed 13-Dec-17 10:34:51

I would go and see a doctor/nurse/walk in - take a urine sample with you as they will need to test it obviously.
It might be an infection or it might be some kind of irritation, - you can get over the counter remedies for cystitis (which is inflammation sometimes caused by infection) - so you could ask the pharmacist. But if it were me I would get it checked.

Are you a man by the way? (your user name suggests you could be) - if so definitely go to doc, as cystitis/pain etc can be caused by prostate problems in men.

Drinking plenty is good, avoid coffee, alcohol and fruit juice. Go to the loo when you need to - (don;t try to hold it in because yout hink it will be sore when you go, the water you drink will make sure there is something in your bladder and dilute your urine) take pain killers if it is very sore.

spiderlight Wed 13-Dec-17 10:34:58

Potassium citrate is by far the best over-the-counter cystitis remedy - Boots etc. sell it as Cystopurin (it'll be with the condoms confused).

RatherBeRiding Wed 13-Dec-17 10:37:41

Cranberry juice is also good, but if it's a UTI they can be very persistent and honestly a course of antibiotics is often the quickest and least painful way of shifting the little buggers! Take a urine sample to your GP - if you have the kind of GP where it takes 2 weeks to get an appointment, ring the receptionist and explain. Often you can leave a sample and come back to pick up your prescription without the hassle of trying to see a GP.

nhsworker123 Wed 13-Dec-17 11:01:32

I'd go see the GP. Having gone and come back, it might be that it never really went away and will get more persistent and uncomfortable. Better to bite the bullet and get antibiotics now IMO.

HoosierDaddy Wed 13-Dec-17 11:31:42

Oh, should have said I am female 😊 thanks for the tips, I will look for recommended items in Boots at lunchtime. I never thought about taking a sample to Doc, which now seems so bloody obvious! Getting an apt isn't a problem here, it's the €55 visit fee I was hoping to avoid, but obviously I will spend it if I need to go!

Loz90333 Wed 13-Dec-17 11:34:10

Hey OP, I have to use a catheter and have repeated UTI's - other than Antibiotics I would recommend D-Mannose tablets (was recommended these by a urologist). Think you can get them from Holland and Barrett. Made my bladder feel great!

CigarsofthePharoahs Wed 13-Dec-17 12:33:37

I'm dealing with a UTI right now. Sodium citrate sachets are good for neutralising the symptoms, but not a cure if it's an infection.
I took them for two days, then I thought it had gone away. Alas not, my wee is now very cloudy and full of blood.
You can try the sodium citrate if you like, but if you've got an infection it's much quicker and easier to treat in the early stages. You don't want it progressing.

Dowser Wed 13-Dec-17 12:47:17

I took a sample and it came back negative despite fishy smell and cloudy
So pot cit and I made myself some homepathic remedies, which as we all know don’t work
and I’m feeling 100 per cent better

Dowser Wed 13-Dec-17 12:49:01

You can get dmannose from sweet cures but it’s mainly for E. coli infections and I rarely get E. coli
Cranberry works on E. coli as well

HoosierDaddy Wed 13-Dec-17 13:02:59

Since posting, the frequency has reduced but it still feels a bit sore after a wee... while I am sat on loo... when I am finished and dressed again I don't have discomfort. There is no pain in my abdomen or back at all. Not sure if that makes any difference! I will try to speak to pharmacist in Boots

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now