Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Gift for diabetic nursery worker

(13 Posts)
NisekoWhistler Wed 13-Dec-17 09:11:06

My sons key worker at nursery is diabetic and we don't know her all that well. Does any one have any gift suggestions?

Any diabetics? What are your preferred chocolates for diabetics?

Thanks

tampinfuminragin Wed 13-Dec-17 09:12:47

Can your son make her something?

A picture or pasta necklace? I'm sure the key worker would love that.

irvineoneohone Wed 13-Dec-17 09:19:27

I would stay away from food related presents.

Nearlyadoctor Wed 13-Dec-17 09:20:24

Candles are always nice - diabetic chocolate is horrid, I would avoid. I always tell patients to have a small piece of decent chocolate just don't overdo it.

JessieJams Wed 13-Dec-17 09:48:14

The same as you would buy any other nursery worker! Is she Type 1or 2? Type 2 is largely controlled by diet although some T2s do inject insulin and others are on oral meds. So, a T2 probably won’t want a box of Heroes! T1’s inject or pump insulin and can eat whatever they want. Like most of us, they probably follow a reaonably healthy diet with some treats which they can bolus insulin for. So if you were getting other staff some shorbread, for example, then same for her. Other ideas ... a nice mug, handcream, candle, coffee shop voucher, book voucher, something kade by DC. Whatever you choose, I’m sure she’ll love it.

JessieJams Wed 13-Dec-17 09:48:53

Oh and no to diabetic chocolate ... it gives you the runs!!!!

SallySphinx Wed 13-Dec-17 09:56:28

Diabetic chocolate is shite! I'm type 1 and drink wine, perhaps get her a bottle.

IvorBiggun Wed 13-Dec-17 10:01:03

Yup I’d avoid food too. There are plenty of other gifts in the world.

Candles
Mug
Hand cream
Bracelet
Scarf

If you’re completely stuck then an Amazon voucher is always appreciated.

I used to get hand cream for dc’s lovely key worker because working in a nursery with lots of hand washing dried out the skin.

Caroian Wed 13-Dec-17 10:23:03

Most people with type 1 diabetes eat a completely normal diet, including chocolate and alcohol. "Diabetic" chocolates really aren't recommended. Besides not tasting that great, many of then contain the same level of carbohydrate as the real thing, so there is no actual benefit in terms of effects on blood sugars. However, all of that said, for someone you do not know well, it is best not to guess. So I would stick with non-food related gifts - toiletries, candles, photo frame etc.

cherrycola2004 Wed 13-Dec-17 10:50:29

I have type 1 diabets and i can eat or drink anything you can... so, what you'd get a person without diabetes.

cherrycola2004 Wed 13-Dec-17 10:54:33

As long as you avoid anything with 'diabetic' written on it, otherwise she'll prob do an epic eye roll haha

I got given a 'diabetic' cook book last xmas, straight to the charity shop.

Camomila Wed 13-Dec-17 11:43:49

Nice hand cream?...I got given that a few times when I was teaching pre-school and really appreciated it as I was washing my hands 1000 times a day.

NisekoWhistler Wed 13-Dec-17 12:07:52

Wonderful suggestions, thank you so much. I'll go for hand cream and get my 14 month old to "make" a necklace or something. Off to Pinterest I go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now