Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Merlin annual pass

(22 Posts)
alwaysthepessimist Wed 13-Dec-17 08:44:45

Going to buy a family one in the sales (I assume they will have a sale again this Jan) - is the standard one ok? Looked at the VIP & premium and wasn't sure if the extras really do make it worth it.

nancy75 Wed 13-Dec-17 08:46:27

Can you use the standard during the school holidays? We buy them every year & I always get the premium as you can use it all the time

alwaysthepessimist Wed 13-Dec-17 08:48:09

oh hadn't checked that nancy75 - thanks will look

nancy75 Wed 13-Dec-17 08:53:49

It’s the summer holidays that are restricted, it depends where you want to use it & when.

alwaysthepessimist Wed 13-Dec-17 08:57:12

Yes I have just read it - I think then if we buy in the sale I will pay the little extra for the summer hols as she is at school now - we only live 40 mins away from Alton Towers so we will probably be there more than anywhere else, we are also going to London in Feb half term to meet family so it would be good to have it for use then - it will save me a fortune

Only1scoop Wed 13-Dec-17 08:58:15

Standard are fine there aren't too many dates blocked just London sites in August from memory.

We use our Clubcard vouchers for the passes and always just upgrade one to get the parking.

nancy75 Wed 13-Dec-17 09:00:21

They are brilliant, we live in London & not too far from Chessington so we use it loads, one year I worked it out & we had save over £1000 over the year because we used it so much!

Brewbees Wed 13-Dec-17 09:01:04

DD works at Alton Towers, she says Standard is totally fine.

EricNorthmanIsMine Wed 13-Dec-17 09:37:54

I have a Premium as parking is included and at £6 a visit for parking at AT this can really add up! Check the exclusion dates over Summer for 2018 too as I think the Standard passes are not valid at theme parks on some dates. Def wait until just after Xmas and get them in the sale smile

Juanbablo Wed 13-Dec-17 09:52:53

We had the standard passes last year (we won them) and they were fine. Couldn't do the London attractions in the summer hols by it didn't bother us at all.

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 13-Dec-17 09:55:23

The Thorpe park , chessington and Legoloand in August are a new restriction for 2018.

Frogqueen13 Wed 13-Dec-17 09:57:09

We get one premium and the rest standard, I think it works out cheaper to by standard then upgrade?

But by doing that we get free parking and all the premium perks with out the price tag

Brewbees Wed 13-Dec-17 11:07:06

DD says there's a sale on in January where the Standard is around £70, Premium around £100, VIP around £330. She says it's worth getting Premium in the sale if you'll attend more than 3 times in the year (and gets you free parking and removes date restriction. You also get a discount at all the shops, food, restaurants, online merchandise). You also have a substantial discount when it comes to renewal.

alwaysthepessimist Wed 13-Dec-17 15:31:08

Thanks brewbees and everyone else - will wait till the sale starts and go from there - the buy one premium & 2 standard sounds like a good plan too - I might see if I can google how much they were in the sale last year to give me an idea of the cost

EricNorthmanIsMine Thu 14-Dec-17 00:08:24

My premium renewal was about £140 in the sale last year, think standard renewal was 120... probably add a tenner on if it's a new pass rather than renewal? I'm expecting 150 this year for mine

MyDcAreMarvel Thu 14-Dec-17 10:57:22

The premium pass will only remove date restriction for the person holding the premium pass though, so not worth it for that.

stella23 Thu 14-Dec-17 11:37:06

There's a Merlin annual pass face book group, it's great really helpful with info, also use a cash back site to get money back

LittleHearts Sat 16-Dec-17 21:38:12

Just place marking as I am thinking of buying a pass.

AnneEyhtMeyer Sat 16-Dec-17 21:44:18

Loads more restrictions next year with a standard pass making it really not worth it any more. Premium isn't much more and with free parking and no restrictions it is the best value.

daisybrown37 Sat 16-Dec-17 22:15:14

The T and C have changed for standard passes, so check the restrictions before you choose.

alwaysthepessimist Tue 19-Dec-17 09:06:22

I have looked into both and agree about paying the little extra for the premium - will wait for the sale to start then buy one - thanks everyone

Norma27 Tue 19-Dec-17 10:23:38

I have had Merlin passes for 3 years now and will be getting my 4th lot in the sale.
I always get premium, especially if you are thinking of upgrading one anyway as it wouldn’t cost much more to pay the initial premium price for them all.
There are more restrictions for standard now. From memory I think they can’t be used in theme parks on Fridays,Saturdays and sundays in August. Possibly other holidays. Can’t be used in London whole of August, and the standard wouldn’t be able to fast track London eye with the premium holder.
The Merlin annual pass holder page in fac book is great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now