Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What is wrong with my hands??

(16 Posts)
SleepyHeadThisTime Tue 12-Dec-17 23:28:28

Ever since I got pregnant with my first child I have gotten terrible pins and needles in my hands at night. During pregnancy I also got pains in my wrist. I think it's getting worse - my hand went numb just talking on the phone for 10 mins recently.

I know I need to get to the Drs but I've just changed to a new surgery and can't even get through to reception to book an appointment ( rang 3 times yesterday and it just rang out each time hmm )

Any ideas? I'm trying to stay away from dr google wink

Glowinginthedark Tue 12-Dec-17 23:29:09

Could it be carpel tunnel syndrome?

becotide Tue 12-Dec-17 23:30:43

That's carpel tunnel caused by water retention. hold your hands above your head and wiggle your fingers

Asmallrole Tue 12-Dec-17 23:32:35

Yep it's carpal tunnel syndrome.

SleepyHeadThisTime Wed 13-Dec-17 09:19:21

I've just resorted to dr Google to find out what carpal tunnel is - gutted sad at least you have given me a bit of reassurance it is worthwhile getting it checked out - after failing to get an appointment yesterday I was in half a mind to not bother and hope it went away

Babyroobs Wed 13-Dec-17 10:30:05

Yes I would say carpal tunnel too. I've had quite a few friends/ collegues who have had it and needed straightforward surgery to correct it.

Glowinginthedark Sun 17-Dec-17 01:33:03

I had it whilst pregnant and disappeared after I had the baby, how old is your baby? If you're breast feeding it could be the hormones still.

Snowinhell Sun 17-Dec-17 07:56:27

Definitely get it checked, it is very common. I was given wrist splints to wear and some exercises. It really helped

olympicsrock Sun 17-Dec-17 08:17:15

Yes sounds like carpal tunnel. When you bend your wrists you compress the nerve further which is why you often notice it at night. Easily fixed by an operation under local anaesthetic to release the carpel tunnel in the hand. No great rush to see doc before Christmas though.

PoptartPoptart Sun 17-Dec-17 08:21:06

Wrist splints really helped me, they keep your wrists straight and allow the blood to flow more easily, especially at night. You can get them in local boots/pharmacies. As an interim measure I would really recommend you get some op

Snowinhell Sun 17-Dec-17 08:23:36

I doubt they will recommend an operation. It does happen in pregnancy and should go away after. I waited a long time for my X-rays and hospital appointment.I would ask the GP whether he recommends you purchase the splints yourself. I still have the hand exercise sheet if you would like it e-mailed to you.

Supermagicsmile Sun 17-Dec-17 08:58:36

I have the same symptoms. I think I'll try and get the wrist splits to see if it helps.

Snowinhell Sun 17-Dec-17 12:53:14

These were the ones that were supplied to me by the hospital. I had to wear them as much as possible for 4 weeks and the. Just a night time

SleepyHeadThisTime Mon 18-Dec-17 16:07:37

Thanks all - my youngest is 8 months so if it was purely pregnant related I would have hoped it would have gone away by now - I think pregnancy may have set it off?

I went to the GP (said I didn't need a same day appointment but they insisted!?) he thinks it's carpal tunnel too - I'm being sent for a test to confirm - doc didn't really explain what the test involved though? I was still half hoping it might've just been low blood pressure confused

NanTheWiser Mon 18-Dec-17 16:36:33

I expect it will be a nerve conduction test, doesn't take long, and mildly uncomfortable (I've had one).

TwuntingCrow Mon 18-Dec-17 17:01:12

Just be aware it might not be carpal tunnel
My GP insisted that I had carpal tunnel until it became clear it wasn't improving
Turns out I have trapped nerves in my neck - just make sure that if the treatment for CT doesn't work you go back and query more

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now