Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What's your favourite hot chocolate?

(19 Posts)
OrangeCactus Tue 12-Dec-17 21:19:58

Which I can buy from the supermarket or high street?

I love hot chocolate this time of year but I find most of be supermarket offerings to be too sweet and watery. I like darker and a bit richer.

I know I can make it myself with some dark chocolate but I'd like a tin of something as a back up because dark chocolate doesn't last very long in this house!

glorious Tue 12-Dec-17 21:21:35

I'd use Green and Black's cocoa just stirred into milk. No sugar needed.

Cantuccit Tue 12-Dec-17 21:21:59

No idea but hope you get some good ideas.

When I'm out, I quite enjoy McDonald's hc.

MoodyMumOfOne Tue 12-Dec-17 21:43:48

Thorntons is nice x

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Tue 12-Dec-17 21:45:28

Charbonnel et Walker stirred into milk.

Ollivander84 Tue 12-Dec-17 21:52:36

Spanish chocolate company hot chocolate. Properly thick and creamy

MsHomeSlice Tue 12-Dec-17 21:52:46

get chocolate that you like and melt it into slowly into full fat (or even better, gold top) milk....it's the best way

Powders and premixes are never that good, and I also think a lot of the fancier ones that are mostly chocolate shavings are iffy too....imo because the chocolate is pre grated or chopped it get dry and dusty.

I really like a little waft of nutmeg over the milk as it starts to steam and maybe a tiny sloosh of something extra, like amaretto or whatever you fancy

Also a teeny smidge of espresso powder can give a bit of something to anything chocolatey

Ollivander84 Tue 12-Dec-17 21:54:14

Link here. Aldi sometimes have it and Asda
http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&ProductCode=296&CategoryCode=510#.WjBPzzzfWEc

Ignore the milk alternative bit, I sometimes use gold top milk grin

Cupoteap Tue 12-Dec-17 21:57:49

Green and black hot choc not the cocoa powder

LurkingHusband Tue 12-Dec-17 22:05:57

OrangeCactus Tue 12-Dec-17 22:10:26

I think I've had that Spanish one before! I used to get a good one from Ocado but can't remember what it was sad

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

AnonEvent Tue 12-Dec-17 22:11:22

This stuff, hands down: http://www.brindisa.com/store/spanish-sweet-things/spanish-chocolate/hot-chocolate-el-canario/

FloatyFlo Tue 12-Dec-17 22:13:20

Twinning Swiss hot chocolate. Its very special grin

CupcakeBabaPoo Tue 12-Dec-17 22:13:20

I can recommend the Twinings hot chocolate - it's very yummy.

Pollaidh Tue 12-Dec-17 22:14:04

I don't like sweet things and find hot chocolates too sweet. I just heat milk in microwave and stir in Green & Blacks or Van Houten cocoa powder. I don't sweeten it at all. The milk gives it enough sweetness.

If you find it too bitter initially you could add a little sugar and then reduce it.

PinkHeart5914 Tue 12-Dec-17 22:15:08

Your favourite chocolate in a saucepan with cream & milk, delicious and no shop bought will come close.

If you don’t want sweet coco powder will be fine with no added sugar

Whittard hot choclates are very good

BanjoStarz Tue 12-Dec-17 22:24:00

Favourite chocolate, hot milk, nutribullet, blend.

And that's it, alcohol may be added to taste.

The nutribullet (other blenders are available) means you can make it in seconds and it's rich and thick and lovely 😄

Dafspunk Tue 12-Dec-17 22:26:55

It’s not make-at-home but Paul and Apostrophe (both high street cafes) do delicious hot chocolates. Way thicker and more flavoursome (in a chocolatey, rather than sweet, way) than Starbucks, Costa, etc.

NatashaRomanov Tue 12-Dec-17 22:45:12

Twinings Swiss Chocolate drink. Made with full fat milk. Perfect.

It was £2.50 in Aldi recently. I am on my second tub, and have a third in the cupboard!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now