Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

A happy doctors receptionist thread

(14 Posts)
Rockandrollwithit Tue 12-Dec-17 20:25:38

I needed to get to the doctors this morning to pick up a prescription that was very much needed. It was needed yesterday but I was snowed in and couldn't get there - I live in a cul de sac that is never gritted and have a three year old and a three month old. Doctors is not within walking distance.

Anyway, enough snow had gone this morning so was able to drive to town and push the buggy along the lovely cleared paths.

At the doctors, I forgot that I had set up electronic prescriptions to a pharmacy a short walk away. Super convenient usually but all the paths were extremely icy and it would have been really difficult to get the buggy across. The lovely receptionist and practice manager both offered to either look after the baby or go and get the prescription for me.

I was really frazzled this morning, it's amazing what a bit of human kindness can do.

jimijack Tue 12-Dec-17 20:28:04

Receptionist at my gps is an absolute diamond too, I immediately relax and smile when I hear her twinkly friendly Scottish accent on the phone. She calls me hen and pet, I love her.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 12-Dec-17 20:32:34

I went into mine with a migraine that wouldn't go a few months ago. I explained, tried not to cry, and asked whether I could be seen that week. The lovely lady said she could see the pain in my face and put me into an urgent slot that afternoon. She was so gently kind and understanding that I nearly cried with relief.

Rockandrollwithit Tue 12-Dec-17 20:34:32

Lovely to hear more positive stories.

A little kindness and understanding really does go a long way.

Tedster77 Tue 12-Dec-17 20:37:55

Years ago I took my feverish crying 2 year old in. The GP called an ambulance as they thought it was meningitis (it wasn’t but he was very ill for over a week). The receptionist brought me a glass of water and tissues and sat with me and held my hand whilst we waited for the ambulance.

OhOurBilly Tue 12-Dec-17 21:09:35

Mine are ace, they do everything they can to accommodate and help. I feel really lucky with our surgery.

scrivette Tue 12-Dec-17 21:12:27

Mine are great too - always helpful and friendly and I don't have any problems booking appointments.

CuriousaboutSamphire Tue 12-Dec-17 21:50:06

The ones in my surgery get quite a roasting on the local fb pages. I have absolutely no idea why.

If they are on the PC or phone finishing something, they make eye contact and smile a little to acknowledge you, then look away until they are ready. Locals think that is rude, they are taking the piss, they should stop typing instantly and deal with the patient in front of them!

I have used them when I was a teacher and had quite restricted access and now, self employed and much more freely available. I have never had to wait more than 4 days for an appointment (I know!). This seems to be 'unasseptable' (sorry smile) to my friends and neighbours who think tat every appointment they want to make is the only one the GPs have to see that day.

One moved into neighbouring city last year and is very vocal about the waiting times and rudeness she now has to put up with. But mainly she is pissed off because the local surgery won't keep her and her family n their lists... because she lives 15 miles away. Totally unfair, apparently!!

But I like them. And DH, who works away mostly, can always get seen in a time frame that suit him too!

Ellendegeneres Tue 12-Dec-17 21:54:47

Yesterday I went to doctors, got there and we realised I was a day early. I was having violent excruciating spasms and almost cried when we realised. I couldn't speak properly, it was horrible- the spasms had an awful overall effect on me.
Amazing lovely receptionist said 'sweetheart, sit down, you will be seen. I'll make sure of it.'
Within 20mins I was seen, given three new types of medication and a whole heap of reassurance- doc even gave me a hug, known her for years.
On the way out, I was falling over myself thanking the receptionist. She was so kind.
If you're reading, I'm bringing you chocolates on Thursday when I'm back! You're an absolute angel

GreatDuckCookery Tue 12-Dec-17 21:56:32

smile nice stories.

Ours are fab too and all the GP’s.

Lemongrass57 Tue 12-Dec-17 22:18:11

When I moved away to go to uni it took a few month to get me tied in to the local services for disabled people.

A few weeks after I moved my wheelchair broke on a Friday afternoon and my referral to the wheelchair team had been done but I’d not heard back. I didn’t know where they were, who to contact for repairs and at 18, away from home for the first time I panicked. I called the Drs and the receptionist said she would check where I’d been referred and call me back. When she called me back, she’d spoken to the wheelchair team, confirmed they had my referral then got details for the repair contractor and called them explaining the urgency and arranged for someone to come within two hours.

Elmosmum Tue 12-Dec-17 22:22:44

I'm trying, I really am but nope. Cannot think of one confused

Draylon Tue 12-Dec-17 22:27:38

I agree re our receptionists! They're always fine and professional.

A thing I don't get, which is very possibly the 'rules', is why one has to live within a 'catchment' to stay on a surgery's books, given that my group practice GP don't make any 'house-calls' whatsoever.

I guess they may farm them out to an agency, but, since that 'agency' will most likely be 15-30 miles away, does it matter?

That seems very old fashioned. As does the whole way we treat GP provision, actually.

I am a HCP and am amazed, on a a daily basis, how many of our patients with outpatient consultant referred scans believe that their local, kindly GP up the road from them will immediately get the results of say, their liver MRI or cardiac CT, and be able to guide and advise them about their diagnosis. The faith they have in their GP is touching, but misguided. But thus they berate their GP!

Twodogsandahooch Tue 12-Dec-17 22:36:43

I had just moved house. Had only been in a couple of days when a private early pregnancy confirmed my second miscarriage.
Went to my new GP surgery and will never forget the kindness of the GP receptionist who immediately ushered me into a private room, sorted out my registration and an appointment there and then. The GP I then saw was equally as fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now