Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

pharmacist didn’t believe I was telling the truth

(63 Posts)
Dina82 Tue 12-Dec-17 20:17:12

A car hit me from behind today around lunchtime. My car was stationary at the roundabout. Was a small impact but enough for my entire bumper to need replacing.

I felt fine initially, tiny bit sore in my lower back but thought I was maybe being over sensitive.

Fast forward a few hours, my back is sore and the pain has risen upwards as though I have had my back punched or sore like after a strenuous workout.

Went to the pharmacist to get advice as I’m scared about it getting worse as I have a heavy 2 year old at home. . Wanted advice on how to prevent further pain/ damage.

He immediately started talking about seeing a doctor tomorrow so it would be on my record for insurance purposes and didn't give advice on how to manage pain. I said I was not going to take the insurance route. Why would I? Anyhow he kind of chuckled and smirked and I left feeling embarrassed as though he thought I was lying.

He’s the second person today who mentioned making an insurance claim. My friend mentioned it also when I called
her up to cancel a lunch we had planned. I was barely sore then.
Feel so frustrated and angry.

SonicBoomBoom Tue 12-Dec-17 20:20:51

Because if you get hit from behind, you will often suffer whiplash. Which may be manageable, but might actually be quite debilitating until you get treatment for it to stop it getting worse.

You may well need physio.

Of course, if you're happy to spend hundreds of pounds of your own money on physio then go right ahead, bit most people wouldn't want to be out of pocket when it wasn't their fault.

But it's up to you.

Regularsizedrudy Tue 12-Dec-17 20:23:12

They did advise you though? The advice was see a doctor

AndhowcouldIeverrefuse Tue 12-Dec-17 20:23:41

It's your choice. Whiplash can be surprisingly difficult to get rid of. But yes the pharmacist was rude.

OlennasWimple Tue 12-Dec-17 20:24:23

I don't understand why you say he thought you weren't telling the truth? confused

moreismore Tue 12-Dec-17 20:25:52

Lots of ice and gentle stretching like yoga child pose. It would be sensible to consider insurance as if you’re that sore already you’re likely to need some treatment to make a full and speedy recovery. If you are able to self-fund then I would recommend seeing a chiropractor/osteopath/physio asap. Be aware that your insurer may not pay our for treatment taken before they approved it, however it is likely to take some time for them to assess you and get you booked in.

Battleax Tue 12-Dec-17 20:26:09

How rude. I'm guessing it was in the tone?

Is it a chain or an independent?

Ashamedandblamed Tue 12-Dec-17 20:26:19

A lot of people try and speak to as many medical people as possible to try and flare up their injurys for more $$$$$ insurance compo.

Unfortunately it sounds like he is tarnishing you with the same brush.

moreismore Tue 12-Dec-17 20:26:45

PS the pharmacist was rude and not very professional

Rainybohoho Tue 12-Dec-17 20:27:44

The pharmacist gave you advice. He advised you to see a doctor.

You’re dismissing putting in a claim when you have no idea how injured you are, that is foolish. I hope you swapped details with the other driver.

Battleax Tue 12-Dec-17 20:28:27

Oh come on Olenna you must have met someone with that eye-rolling, deeply sceptical, "you'll be wanting X then?" manner?

Really infuriating when you're ill or in pain. I met a neurologist like that early on my path to MS diagnosis.

Dina82 Tue 12-Dec-17 20:28:48

The reason the pharmacist thought I wasn’t telling the truth is because I didn't falsely go to get advice due to making an insurance claim. I am NOT that ill. I was just wanting advice.

Why do people automatically think of making money out of a false or mild injury just because they have an opportunity too. Is that not fraud?

JoJoSM2 Tue 12-Dec-17 20:29:04

The pharmacist gave you good advice. It would be unreasonable of him to give you pain killers and tell you that would be fine when that's clearly not he case.

SpartonDregs Tue 12-Dec-17 20:29:32

You do need to see a doctor because you have no idea how long your injuries will last. Although you will get thousands of phone calls as a result.

Battleax Tue 12-Dec-17 20:29:41

You’re dismissing putting in a claim when you have no idea how injured you are, that is foolish.

Well you might, reflexively, mightn't you, if someone implied you were faking an injury for cash? Go easy on her smile

abbsisspartacus Tue 12-Dec-17 20:30:00

This happened to me I ended up having physio on my back

ragged Tue 12-Dec-17 20:30:10

Hold on, There's such a thing as (physio/any) treatment for whiplash?!!

No wait, I'm reading NHS. NHS physio Treatment for whiplash only offered after several weeks without symptoms getting better/tolerable.

I had a day of soreness after a skating crash recently, because I'm crazy prone to whiplash. Pharmacist can only suggest painkillers and you do your own googling. It's a ligament injury & you just have to ride it out.

PersianCatLady Tue 12-Dec-17 20:30:13

Do you mean when you are in pain and you are asking for something that actually works?

Dina82 Tue 12-Dec-17 20:31:08

ashamedandblamed. That’s exactly my point. I felt he was more interested in me wanting to make a claim rather than get proper healthcare advice.

ragged Tue 12-Dec-17 20:33:13

I don't think pharmacists know much about ligament injuries. Heck, GPs aren't great with them. Ask anyone who dislocated a shoulder or sprained an ankle. Keep mobile, take painkillers, try anti-inflammatories, support the affected areas. The advice is the same everywhere.

MummytoCSJH Tue 12-Dec-17 20:33:36

I work at a PI solicitors. It is definitely worth making a claim if you weren't as fault as soft tissue injuries like this can develop overnight or in a matter of days. It is very difficult to tell whether or not they will but they certainly can and you may find it is easier to go over the details whilst they're fresh in your mind. I agree with the info you've been given about physio, its usually one of the first things arranged and it will help you recover as soon as possible and you can usually claim back uninsured losses too.

I do agree that the pharmacist was quite rude not giving any practical advice although if you are feeling this way don't hesitate to seek advice from your doctor.

Lots of people do believe in ambulance chasers and claims culture but it's simply not true. There ARE 'firms' that cold call just in case you have been in an accident and that railroad people into making claims but injuries no matter how minor, if the injured person isn't at fault, legally can be claimed for and that person is entitled to the compensation.

Rainybohoho Tue 12-Dec-17 20:34:19

‘Well you might, reflexively, mightn't you, if someone implied you were faking an injury for cash? Go easy on her smile’

People who are faking injuries don’t tend to go to a pharmacist as first point of call.

Maybe he thought she was faking it to try and get codeine. Who knows? Regardless, go and see a doctor is good advice.

Nicknacky Tue 12-Dec-17 20:39:36

I don't think I would have even considered going to a pharmacist after being injured in a road accident, what can they offer you?

You need a doctor, and yes if you do put a claim in then medical records are required. Don't understand what he said wrong?!

BTW I got 4.5k after being injured in a similar accident with almost identical injury and damage to my car.

OlennasWimple Tue 12-Dec-17 20:39:43

I still don't get how he implied he thought you were lying - if you were faking whiplash, you wouldn't have gone to the pharmacist rather than the doctor in the first place. He was possibly annoyed with you deciding to ignore his advice (go and see a doctor, consider making an insurance claim if it gets worse)

BTW it's not fraudulent to receive money for an injury sustained through no fault of your own at a level determined by an insurance company. It's fraudulent to invent or exaggerate an injury, and whiplash is notorious for this because it's so hard to disprove (I believe)

Penfold007 Tue 12-Dec-17 20:43:19

So the pharmacist gave you good advice but it wasn't what you wanted to hear. You've now jumped to the conclusion that they thought you were lying. You need to report the accident to your insurance company and you would be wise to make an appointment with your GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now