Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Going straight on at roundabout- indicating?

(34 Posts)
SureIusedtobetaller Tue 12-Dec-17 19:32:52

I was waiting at a roundabout earlier, someone coming from other side coming round indicating right. They went straight over - if I’d know they were going to do that I would have gone.
My FIL indicates right when going straight on then left at the exit and insists he’s right.
I think you don’t indicate at all until just before your exit (if going straight over) - I’m right yes?!

dementedpixie Tue 12-Dec-17 19:36:14

Yes you don't indicate on entering but indicate when wanting to exit

HopeAndJoy16 Tue 12-Dec-17 19:37:38

When I was learning (only 2010ish) I was taught you don't indicate to go straight on. Dh who had lessons last year was taught the same

U2HasTheEdge Tue 12-Dec-17 19:37:43

You are meant to indicate when you turn off but no fucker seems to.

No fucker seems to indicate much at all.

MoMandaS Tue 12-Dec-17 19:37:55

You are correct. So many people just indicate in the direction they're having to turn their wheel! And a great many more don't indicate to come off.

U2HasTheEdge Tue 12-Dec-17 19:40:16

I only passed my test 4 years ago and was taught to indicate to come off.

afishnotabird Tue 12-Dec-17 19:40:17

I’ve heard older people say you indicate right then left to go straight on, it maybe used to be the done thing?

I learned in 2007 and it was no indicator to go onto the roundabout, then left to come off.

Gabs55555555 Tue 12-Dec-17 19:41:22

My mum and dad (65 &67) both this too. And they insist they are right! Maybe it's a generation thing? Perhaps they were taught differently? Everyone I have asked who is 40 or younger says no indicating to go straight over.

Tangfastics Tue 12-Dec-17 19:41:32

You don't indicate if you're going straight. At least that's what I was taught when i learnt to drive>

Tangfastics Tue 12-Dec-17 19:43:21

I'm 41

Autumnchill Tue 12-Dec-17 19:43:33

Indicate on the exit not on the approach

dementedpixie Tue 12-Dec-17 19:43:34

Signals and position.

When taking the first exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise:

signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise:

signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

*When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise*:

Select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
you should not normally need to signal on approach
stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

U2HasTheEdge Tue 12-Dec-17 19:46:20

Oh, sorry. I thought Hope was saying you don't indicate approaching it or coming off it.

I need to go to sleep.

missyB1 Tue 12-Dec-17 19:47:19

I’ve witnessed a few near crashes from people doing this. There is a roundabout near my house where people frequently indicate right to go straight on, causes loads of confusion!

KurriKurri Tue 12-Dec-17 19:48:38

No indicator going on, indicate left when leaving.

People round here have no clue whatsoever about indicating on roundabouts or about positioning - I now assume they are all making it up as they go along.

SureIusedtobetaller Tue 12-Dec-17 19:53:23

I now feel vindicated grin
I do see this now and then and wonder if it’s how it was done previously.

Tangfastics Tue 12-Dec-17 19:55:18

Why do you feel vindicated OP? You've got it half-arsed!

Tangfastics Tue 12-Dec-17 19:56:57

I mean come on - this is hardly rocket science

dementedpixie Tue 12-Dec-17 19:57:29

No she didn't. She was correct. No indicator on entry, indicate left before exiting

RestingGrinchFace Tue 12-Dec-17 19:58:29

You only indicate right if you are going right/all the way around.

SureIusedtobetaller Tue 12-Dec-17 20:01:06

I feel vindicated because the person going straight on indicated right. Whereas what I do (apparently correctly) is not indicate then indicate left just before my exit.

Marshy Tue 12-Dec-17 20:02:12

I'm over 40 and indicate to come off the roundabout. It's not a generational thing. It's a not knowing how to indicate thing.

totallyliterally Tue 12-Dec-17 20:03:40

More annoying are people who don't exit a roundabout in the correct lane.

If you start in the right hand lane you leave in the right hand lane.

It utterly indurates me. Unless it's a stupid new roundabout with lane markings that guide you round veering off to the left.

stickytoffeevodka Tue 12-Dec-17 20:03:49

I passed my test in October.

I was taught not to indicate if going straight ahead, just indicate to leave the roundabout.

Tangfastics Tue 12-Dec-17 20:04:30

Well yes, obviously the other person was wrong but if you are going straight then there is no need to indicate AT ALL.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now