Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Blood Donation - First time on Thursday

(18 Posts)
cjt110 Tue 12-Dec-17 15:16:13

Off to give my first donation on Thursday. Something I have wanted to do for a while and not got round to.

I have my own reasons for donating. My mum, born in 1965, had a full transfusion at birth. I've also have lots of major surgery where blood was prepped for transfusion for me but not needed.

So.... here goes! Any tips for before/after gratefully received!

www.blood.co.uk/

lastqueenofscotland Tue 12-Dec-17 15:17:50

Eat lots before.
Take your time before you leave.

wednesdayswench Tue 12-Dec-17 15:21:13

Wear loose / short sleeves. Give yourself plenty of time before & after. Drink more fluids than you normally would 24 hours before donating.

You are doing a wonderful thing.

Hulder Tue 12-Dec-17 15:21:30

Don't rush out. Drink plenty. Don't plan to go shopping afterwards as it's your first time.

cjt110 Tue 12-Dec-17 15:24:28

My appointment is at 5.25 so I will just be heading home once it's done. I have bloods taken regularly because of an underactive thyroid so imagine it will be a similar process.

wednesdayswench Not wonderful. Just paying it forward in one of the only ways I feel I can.

specialsubject Tue 12-Dec-17 16:38:22

drink plenty of fluid before - they give you a big cup of water while you check in. Make sure you've eaten properly during the day.

loose clothes with a sleeve you can roll up. Fit for purpose shoes not stupid staggerers, just in case.

drink tea and eat biscuits/crisps afterwards.

slow up for the following 24 hours. If you are 25, cancel the fitness class that night. If you are 35, cancel it for the next two days. If you are 55, cancel it for a week.

good on you. But if you are outside a big city, be aware that you will have a long journey for future donations.

cjt110 Tue 12-Dec-17 16:40:30

Yes I am outside of a big city. Our town hold them regularly I believe.

dontblameme Tue 12-Dec-17 18:11:54

If you can walk to the appointment or take a brisk walk around the block before you go in, it gets your blood pumping and the donation may be easier/quicker.

Good for you and hope it goes well.

ForalltheSaints Tue 12-Dec-17 19:39:32

Good luck and I hope it is the first of many.

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Wed 13-Dec-17 02:46:01

Don't do what I did and ignore the advice about no heavy lifting afterwards.

I went straight to B&Q to buy a lawnmower. Then went from there to the tip where I had to lob the old broken lawnmower into a skip because there was no attendant to help.

I've never had a bruise like it.

AccrualIntentions Wed 13-Dec-17 03:30:15

Eat all the Club biscuits afterwards!

Babipotjam Wed 13-Dec-17 04:05:51

Eat well before hand. Have someone on hand to take you hime if needed.

I fainted after the 6th time. I couldn't get a lift from anywhere.

Babipotjam Wed 13-Dec-17 04:06:34

If it hurts or you feel ill say straight away.

Rainbowqueeen Wed 13-Dec-17 04:27:28

Drink lots - it really does make a difference!

The filling in forms, blood test beforehand take longer than the donation

And thank you!

mammmamia Wed 13-Dec-17 15:38:38

Good luck OP! Well done.
I try to do it once a year. Echo the advise above.
Might be worth mentioning but I wasn't allowed to donate a couple of weeks ago because I had mouth ulcers caused by my braces.

Fergusmum Wed 13-Dec-17 16:51:49

I worked for the service in South Africa and in fact met my husband during a promotion/recruitment drive. I must admit I am having a wee giggle at some of the advice. Just get on and do it. U will be assessed prior to the needle going in.
OP - well done - I hope it all goes well.
Oh yes and before I forget, please please do not say 'u doned' some blood - there is no such word. It's donated. Peace!

FrostyPopThePenguinLord Wed 13-Dec-17 17:03:04

Try and stay warm, hands and arms anyway, often donation sessions can be in freezing church halls etc and if you have shy veins cold can make it a bit more tricky. So gloves and a coat or jumper you can whip off.
Plenty of fluids before and eat. Sit up slowly, especially if you are tall, I've always been fine but my lanky husband sometimes needs a minute!

cjt110 Thu 14-Dec-17 09:47:41

Got a lovely text this morning remining me. Quite looking forward to it. The idea that my blood could help someone is amazing.

Does anyone know if it will definitely be used - whats the shelf life? And do you get to know if it's used?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now