Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Fainted in Tesco

(18 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

shouldnthavesaid Tue 12-Dec-17 13:27:51

I'm so embarrassed. The staff were lovely but was awful. I was coming downstairs with trolley and felt lights going out, managed to get through the shop and get a load of crap (bread, eggs and chocolates).

Got to till and next thing they were calling for first aider on tannoy, got taken out in a wheelchair with everyone staring sad . They phoned staff at my halls of residence , organised a taxi home and all sorts.

Managed home and up 4 flights of stairs into pyjamas and bed . Feel so silly. Probably have fluey virus or something , feeling very feverish and dizzy. Awful. So embarrassed sad haven't slept well for a few nights and been so stressed and desperate to get home to my mum.

Probably isnt worth bothering GP with although have exam Thursday so might need a doctors line.. have cardiologist tomorrow too coincidentally for palpitations sad not a good few days!

shouldnthavesaid Tue 12-Dec-17 13:28:22

Oh God sorry thought this was chat, I'll report .

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Dec-17 13:33:21

Hi shouldnthavesaid,

We're moving this over to chat for you now. Whilst we hope you get some really great support and advice from Mumsnetters, we'd always recommend seeking medical advice too - especially with the added stress of exams.

We really hope you feel better soon and if there's anything else we can do in the meantime, just give us a shout.

flowers

SpeckleDust Tue 12-Dec-17 13:34:21

Don't feel silly or embarrassed, you've done nothing wrong!

Do you have anyone to look after you or at least look in on you to check you are ok?

Rest and fluids if a virus. Maybe some paracetamol/ibuprofen for fever and aches. I hope it's just a short-lived thing and you feel better soon.

INeedNewShoes Tue 12-Dec-17 13:35:37

You poor thing flowers

If you feel faint again today you must should seek medical attention!

dobbythedoggy Tue 12-Dec-17 13:36:11

Gentle hugs lovely.
I fainted in tesco at the start of the year at the pharmacy counter when I went in to pick up my prescription for antibiotics. Lights out, caught by the gentleman in the cue in front of me, open eyes to lots of faces above me and people wanting to call an ambulance.
Hope you're feeling better soon.

shouldnthavesaid Tue 12-Dec-17 13:42:57

I've had painkillers. Bought berroca , don't know if it will do anything but worth a shot maybe. If no better soon will definitely phone GP, still feeling weird.

Halls staff said they've made a note and will try to come up at some point, first aid trained staff 24/7 and just across road from A&E too. Touch wood its just a viral thing. Was sick once yesterday but put that down to lactose intolerance/stress (I'm sick a lot).

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Tue 12-Dec-17 13:45:14

heart palpitations and loss of consciousness (albeit not at the same time) warrant a checkup if you ask me.

BenLui Tue 12-Dec-17 13:48:59

Don’t feel in the least embarrassed. When I was pregnant I fainted all over the place. People are usually just concerned that you are ok.

Take care of yourself and make sure you get someone to keep an eye on you.

shouldnthavesaid Tue 12-Dec-17 13:57:35

Oh I've had the palpitations for years (ectopic beats and sinus tachycardia). I get very very anxious over it but they've told me numerous times I'm likely OK. Have had a normal 24 hr monitor and dozens of ECGs in the past. Have the cardiologist tomorrow night as new GP wanted to make sure all absolutely OK, especially as a relative needed an ICD fitted a couple of years ago . Suspect and hope it is more anxiety with me and fluy thing today. Hopefully, don't want to be told there is something wrong!

shouldnthavesaid Tue 12-Dec-17 22:20:04

Still feeling horrendous. Managed toast and egg for tea and drinking water but feel awful, head so sore. Only peed twice today sad

JollyGiraffe Tue 12-Dec-17 22:22:38

Sorry to hear you're still feeling awful. Keep having sips of water.

Maybe something with a bit of sugar? Some squash or some diluted juice?

Palavra Tue 12-Dec-17 22:28:40

Sorry you're feeling so bad! Hopefully the cardiologist is okay and it turns out it's 'just' a horrible virus. But don't feel embarrassed - I had a seizure in a supermarket and the memory of slowly waking up in the recovery position near the tills still makes me feel embarrassed. I couldn't face going back there for ages, but at the end of the day, no one thinks bad of someone fainting (or in my case, having a seizure), they just feel mildly sympathetic and forget very quickly.

LittleBirdBlues Tue 12-Dec-17 22:29:38

You poor thing. I fainted on the tube three times, each time was when I was in the earl stages of pregnancy. It's a really weird feeling, and it's odd having strangers gather around you making a "fuss" smile.

But you have nothing to be embarrassed about. I hope you manage to keep fluids down and that you get a good rest tonight.

Figment1234 Tue 12-Dec-17 22:30:06

It does sound like it could be a bug. My husband has been ill since Sunday evening - fever and extreme tiredness. Despite trying to drink lots he has barely been to the toilet.. and at 4am this morning I awoke to a crash as he fainted in the bathroom - first time in his life.

He is still not great today but is improving.

Obviously you should get checked out by a professional.. but your symptoms do sound very similar so it could well be something like that (and therefore nothing too serious). I hope you feel better soon!

Draylon Tue 12-Dec-17 22:33:05

Easily said, but everyone needs to stop feeling embarrassed! People 'looking on' are practically always just concerned, glad to see you upright again.

OP. glad you're seeing the cardiologist!

shouldnthavesaid Tue 12-Dec-17 23:54:32

I really hope so. Don't know if they will do tests or anything tomorrow as appointment isnt until 6pm. Petrified they will say I have this cardiomyopathy thing too - I haven't let myself exercise for weeks because so scared. I did after fainting manage to climb 42 steps back up to my room so thinking if it was cardiac that would have not been possible but no idea.

Have managed to drink some water and sore head easing. Worked out earlier all I'd had all day was 500ml ribena, 100ml orange juice and a few sips of water. Flatmate had this bug and she landed up in A&E getting IV fluids and antisickness drug ..

Palvra my mum takes seizures flowers (she's had tests for the cardiomyopathy and clear), she's had them in so so many places now, always says how frightening it is to be surrounded by people when she wakes up. Thankfully most people do want to help flowers

shouldnthavesaid Wed 13-Dec-17 00:50:02

Have spoken to NHS 24 and Breathing Space re anxiety as physically can't settle, been reading up on cardiomyopathy and palpitations which won't be helping at all. NHS 24 were quite helpful and said to watch film, use lavender oil or such like and see if GP can prescribe diazepam or similar in morning. Said push for medical certificare for Thursday's exam so will do that. You know when they list out all the medical conditions you have, I felt awful, all this gynae and bladder stuff and then depression, anxiety, OCD, ? personality disorder... so embarrassed over it all sad wish I was 'normal'. Have had to physically stop myself phoning mum as must have rung her 20 times tonight sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now