Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can't finish my assignment

(16 Posts)
everythingtwinklesatxmas Tue 12-Dec-17 11:27:27

It's due in today, specifically in 8 hours (submission deadline). I'm about halfway through but not at all confident I've met the assessment criteria. I keep having to stop to include citations and add to reference list.
I'm not normally so disorganised and my degree is a priority but it's been such a hectic month with one thing and another. I'm so run down and have a horrible chest infection sad sad

I'm just complaining and fed up, I've never failed an assignment or missed a submission deadline but I'm feeling really overwhelmed today.

DonkeyOaty Tue 12-Dec-17 11:31:35

Pull on your big girl pants.

Bullet point (scrap of paper) what you've got left to shovel in.
Find your refs/citations now so you're not doing that terrible 11.50 pm panic thing.
Shovel in your remaining points.

Don't give up, shoulders back. You can do it.

MyBrilliantDisguise Tue 12-Dec-17 11:32:49

Get off MN! That's the worst thing you can do.

LemonysSnicket Tue 12-Dec-17 11:34:19

When I had lots of citations I would use a note form ( so for Francis Bacon text I would write FB, 10 (page 10) ) in the foot note. Then when finished I could copy and paste the reference on all FB's and change the page number, then paste to bibliography. Not sure if this would work for you but meant i could do my referencing and biblio in about 1.5 hours at the end.

Keep going, you can do this, it may not be to the desired standard but just aim to pass. I once wrote 5,000 words in 24 hours, I got 58% so was not brilliant, but I passed.

What's your word count?

Loz90333 Tue 12-Dec-17 11:36:47

I did this on Sunday OP, you can do it! Long slog but definitely persist through it!

calamityjam Tue 12-Dec-17 11:41:27

I've got my ethics panel in 2 hours for my dissertation and I'm panicking. I've also got 10,000 words to write on other assignments before 8th Jan. I'm going to get a move on, or I will be in your position again. Sorry I'm not being helpful, just thinking aloud. Good luck op, you can do it. I have multiple times.

Kit30 Tue 12-Dec-17 11:43:54

What's your word count? Stick to your essay/assignment plan ( you did make one, didn't you?) but FIRST sort out backup - fill out and email an extraordinary circumstances form ( or equivalent) applying for extra time and make a gp appointment for stress to cover yourself in the event you don't finish. Above all, don't panic and take control of the situation - you've run out of time and you need more, do ask for some. You won't be the only one in this position.

PricillaQueenOfTheDesert Tue 12-Dec-17 11:48:03

Maybe knuckle down to the assignment rather than being on mumsnet.

LumpySpaceCow Tue 12-Dec-17 11:51:12

Ask for an extension if the deadline isn't going to be met.

Cheeseandcucumber Tue 12-Dec-17 11:55:32

I'm in a similar boat today, just no motivation at all.

Good luck, OP! You can do it!

DingleBerries Tue 12-Dec-17 13:19:44

Don’t ask for an extension. You won’t get it.
Not for being disorgnised and having a bad chest.

As the others said you just need to knuckle down.

What year are you in? Will this count towards your final mark?

everythingtwinklesatxmas Tue 12-Dec-17 14:41:37

Thanks everyone I was just having a wobbly moment and a blind panic! I'm very happy to update I'm only 200 words away from my lower word count and although it's not quite as elegant as my usual standard I think it's adequate and will get me a pass, or with the weighted module even if I get slightly less and fail the assignment I can still pass the module.
I'm really disappointed with myself for my disorganisation but sometimes life gets in the way and unfortunately this was put on the back burner, I will be careful to not be in the position again and will be starting my next assignment, due in the new year, tomorrow!

amusedbush Tue 12-Dec-17 14:59:33

Sometimes good things come out of high pressure situations! Last year I procrastinated so much I had to bash out a 4000 word assignment in a couple of days. Just as the end was in sight, I was suddenly convinced that I'd read the question incorrectly and I was weeping to DH that I'd have to rip it apart and start again. He told me to go with my instincts, submit what I had and I got a 70.

My next module starts in the new year and I've sworn to myself that I won't put off my coursework again!

HertToHert Tue 12-Dec-17 15:09:24

Use the Harvard referencing tool to do your referencing. Perhaps have a sleep break of an hour. When you wake you’ll have renewed mental vigor to tackle the rest of the assignment.

DingleBerries Tue 12-Dec-17 17:26:59

That’s if your uni accepts Harvard referencing.

Ours does Harvard Chicago which is ever so slightly different.
No idea why they changed it.

RestingGrinchFace Tue 12-Dec-17 17:31:34

A bit late now but next time you should apply for extenuating circumstances if you a very ill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now