Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Child with high fever vomiting calpol - what to do?

(14 Posts)
grassseedy Tue 12-Dec-17 11:14:23

We have a dr appt later today, but in the meantime...

My 6 year old has tonsillitis (his tonsils are enlarged and pussy). He's had it since Friday & has been pretty miserable, but I've been doing what I guess a dr would advise and giving him calpol / neurofen, plenty of fluids and rest. He seemed to be better yesterday, and I was fully expecting him to be well enough to be back at school today.

Since the afternoon yesterday he seems to have deteriorated, he is very hot (around 40 degrees). Since this morning he has not been able to keep anything down, calpol nor water.

I've not given him anything in terms of medication since, as it seems pointless to give him something if it's being vomited up shortly after, plus that obviously means he can't have another dose for 4-6 hours. But I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do? Advice welcomed, thank you

sausagerole Tue 12-Dec-17 11:30:59

What time is your Dr appt? I'd call 111 personally and be ready to move quickly if they told me to take him in somewhere. If he's vomiting water he could become dehydrated and if he can't keep paracetamol down then you won't be able to reduce his temperature at home either.

ohlittlepea Tue 12-Dec-17 11:32:00

paracetamol suppositories xxx

CatastropheKate Tue 12-Dec-17 11:33:23

Ice lolly for fluids and can calm the throat.

Branleuse Tue 12-Dec-17 11:41:44

paracetamol suppositories

ishouldntsaybut Tue 12-Dec-17 12:28:28

Nothing at all for an hour after last episode of vomiting, then very small sip of water every ten minutes until he is able to tolerate for an hour without vomiting. Then gradually increase fluids/give calpol. If he vomits during this then back to the beginning and repeat until his appointment. Ice lolly as previously mentioned is great for small amounts of fluid.

dazzleboo Tue 12-Dec-17 12:41:31

Please do call 111- my DS had a throat infection that went the same way- after a few days of it his temp shot up to 40 and he was lethargic and vomiting. It turned out the bacteria had got into his blood and he was very unwell and needed urgent treatment. 111 will be able to advise if this is a risk for your DS.

Backingvocals Tue 12-Dec-17 12:46:19

My children get into a vomiting cycle with these sorts of illnesses - then they can't keep antibiotics down. DD and DS have both been admitted this year simply so that they can get antibiotics into them via IV. Last time it happened I went to the GP and she sent us straight to A&E so I rather wished I'd gone there first.

So just be ready to go off to A&E if you need to. I'd take a little bag with me to the Dr. Hope you see some improvement soon.

BTW I don't mean to alarm you - it's just that I know some children start vomiting and can't stop.

Twofishfingers Tue 12-Dec-17 12:49:22

I don't think you can get paracetamol suppositories over the counter you might need a prescription. It's unpleasant but it does work. However, I would be concern that he is not keeping water down (this is what happened to DS when he was younger). There are also lots of other glands in other parts of the tummy and they might be inflamed as well. Make sure your DS isn't over heating. If he vomited the paracetamol, speak to 111 for advice (and ask for a GP call back if possible) to guide you through the procedure. But from what I remember they asked me to give DS half a dose of calpol just a drop at a time with a seringe, over a period of 10 minutes, and give 5 mils of water in between. Just a tiny bit of water at a time will help him not become dehydrated. And also they suggested very cold water, or an iced lolly (not dairy). But please confirm that with GP first.

Debby08 Tue 12-Dec-17 12:52:05

Do cold compress and immediately seek for your dc medical attention.

Quartz2208 Tue 12-Dec-17 12:57:16

How are his heartrate and breathing and are his feet and hands cold.

Same as dazzledoo with DS and needed iv antibiotics - the fact he got better than worse is a warning sign

grassseedy Tue 12-Dec-17 12:59:43

Thanks so much for the advice - I rang dr and the my saw us earlier, just back.

They have given antibiotics, his throat really does look awful :-( He hasn't vomited since about 11, so is now on the sofa with an ice lolly, I've given him a dose of calpol so we will see what happens. Fingers crossed he has turned a corner.

Dr advised to monitor urine output - he has only been once today, with instructions to take him to the children's hospital if he doesn't improve by tonight. We are really lucky to have a kids hospital close by who accept you without a referral.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be keeping a very close eye on him, the recent press about sepsis has really had an impact on me and I'll make sure to act quickly if he isn't looking good. Poor little mite :-(

grassseedy Tue 12-Dec-17 21:27:54

Just thought I'd say he seems to be a tiny bit better, has managed to keep liquid down most of the day now, 2 ice lollies, and even asked for a biscuit just before bed, although only had half. Fingers crossed he has turned a corner - it's been years since any of our kids were so poorly, I really felt quite scared...

Thanks for all the advice!

Quartz2208 Tue 12-Dec-17 21:28:54

If something needs antibiotics I find a couple of doses really starts to clear it up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now