Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you know the size of your house in square feet?

(73 Posts)
CatastropheKate Tue 12-Dec-17 10:53:30

It's something I've been noticing more recently, or has it always been around? Are we changing the way that we describe houses? I haven't bought a house since about 2001, and wouldn't have a clue how big this house is in feet - always been described by number of bedrooms, which, when you think about it does seem a bit random.

So did you buy so many square feet of house, or by bedroom count?

LurkingHusband Tue 12-Dec-17 11:21:06

It wasn't an issue when we bought (2001). However, having looked at new builds, it's clear that modern housing is a bit of a joke.

WE have 1,400 sq. ft, across 2 bedrooms with a kitchen/diner, utility corridor + cloakroom, bin store and utility room.

You won't get anything less than a 4 bedroom to get that space nowadays. Add to that we have a garage that you can actually get a car in, plus enough space to have a caravan off the road, and we're staying put.

If we had to move, it would be square footage. As I said to one of the over-eager sales agents "If we bought this house, we'd have to decide which two rooms to lose" ... this was for a property - 3 bedrooms with just over 1,000 sq. foot.

(Having a doctor, dentist and pharmacist within 3 minutes walk is also a clincher.)

Roomba Tue 12-Dec-17 11:22:28

I have no idea, though could work it out as I know the room sizes I suppose.

I've noticed homes being advertised as being 'XX square metres' in Europe - perhaps it's caught on from there?

LaurieFairyCake Tue 12-Dec-17 11:26:33

Yes, I found it really important when buying. I was just looking at a house yesterday that described itself as a 3 bed. The two smallest bedrooms were 8 foot by 5.5 foot and 9foot by 7 foot. shock

The whole 3 bed house was under 700 foot. And it was 200k MORE than my place (my place is 1700 sq foot) - and literally in the next road to me.

So I have an extra 1000 sq foot for 200k less. confused

Most people do not look at square footage according to every agent I've spoken to in the last year - I find that so weird.

MayFayner Tue 12-Dec-17 11:26:50

It's usually mentioned if it's a large sq footage for the number of bedrooms but not so much if it's smaller proportionally.

So if lurking was selling their house, the agent would probably make a big deal of the sq footage, as 1400 sq ft is big for a 2-bed.

But my mother's house, on the other hand, is a four bed and is on 1100sq ft. Two of the bedrooms are tiny. So the agent would probably just say "4-bed" and leave the sq footage in the small print rather than the main body of the description.

onlyconnectfour Tue 12-Dec-17 11:28:20

I do because I have the floor plans. 3900 sq ft.

LunasSpectreSpecs Tue 12-Dec-17 11:29:10

No, wouldn't have a clue. It's something i've only seen on flats overseas - it was very common to describe apartments in Spain in metres squared.

BrutusMcDogface Tue 12-Dec-17 11:29:43

Ours is a 4 bed and is 1500 sq ft; they had that info when we bought it (new build).

onlyconnectfour Tue 12-Dec-17 11:33:08

Ours is 6 bed in 3900...350 years old. New builds are tiny!

Zampa Tue 12-Dec-17 11:34:42

Having just moved house, square footage was one of the first things I looked at when reviewing particulars.

Right Move details with no room dimensions of overall area are next to useless IMO.

On short, I've known the areas of all my houses over the past 12 years.

Zampa Tue 12-Dec-17 11:35:16

*or

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Tue 12-Dec-17 11:39:14

I only know because it was on the Rightmove listing.
We initially were looking for a specific number of bedrooms but the sq footage came in handy because we realised we could buy a house with fewer bedrooms (but larger in general) and still house all of our DC for £150k less.

I never go to view a house without a floor plan!

PersianCatLady Tue 12-Dec-17 11:39:40

It is handy to know area in sq ft or m2 when getting buildings insurance.

A lot of people insure their home for the purchase price but this is unnecessary.

Even if your house burns down you will etilknown the land do you just need to know how much it would cost to rebuild the same house.

Eryri1981 Tue 12-Dec-17 11:50:50

Square metres are given on the EPC (not sure how accurate though), so I guess since these have been compulsory people have had more of an idea.

We have a old stone cottage, given on EPC at 73m2 so 785ft2, 3 bedrooms, but 2 are loft rooms, so not sure how they measure for area there, and we also have massive alcoves next to chimney, and no space wasted to hallways and corridors, So feels bigger.

burntup Tue 12-Dec-17 11:56:13

I always look at sq ft. More expensive houses seem to be prices per sq ft.

LurkingHusband Tue 12-Dec-17 11:58:22

I've noticed homes being advertised as being 'XX square metres' in Europe - perhaps it's caught on from there?

One of my first jobs when working on estate agency software was to add a feature for London agents, as people in Europe start with sq. metres .... (we had a feature for sq. ft. I added the tweak to show it in metric).

Of course, commercial property is all about the area.

(My suggestion for a field for property accessibility was "too expensive". I note with interest, it still is).

MrsZB Tue 12-Dec-17 12:00:42

Ours is around 1500-1600 but I only know that because we are selling it and they measured it for the EPC.

LurkingHusband Tue 12-Dec-17 12:01:03

The other measure is total land area ... we are close to 5,000 sq. ft overall. Which does lead to the suggestion we could build two modern day houses on it, and sell for a kings ransom. Although that would take an accessible bungalow out of the housing stock.

Redcrayons Tue 12-Dec-17 12:03:27

No idea and not entirely sure what it means. Is it the footprint of the house?

frenchfancy Tue 12-Dec-17 12:03:50

Here in France all property is sold with the m2 of the house. It is a very good way of finding out whether a property is over priced - you find out the €/m2 average for the area then you add (or take away) depending on the condition of the property. There is even a law which states you can't include the floor area if the ceiling is less than 1.80m so loft rooms with sloping roofs are counted as smaller.

TractorTedTed Tue 12-Dec-17 12:05:38

No, but I'd like to know! Wasn't on our rightmove listing unfortunately.

I love the way most of mainland Europe describes houses in square metres. It makes so much more sense. Three huge bedrooms is so much better than 4 tiny ones for example. Estate agents here are obsessed with trying to label every cupboard a bedroom hmm

Square metres can't be messed with /exaggerated to quite the same extent.

I also like the idea of talking of salary in net monthly terms, rather than gross annual. Again, so much more useful!

PersianCatLady Tue 12-Dec-17 12:07:33

Go online and convert the m2 to sq ft.

Viserion Tue 12-Dec-17 12:10:10

Around 3200 sq foot for a 5 bed/4 bath house excluding double garage and restricted height areas. When we bought it, it was about 2700 sq foot according to the particulars, but we have extended it and got rid of most of the restricted height areas so this is a guesstimate.

I always look at room dimensions and sq footage, yes. I have always found it shown on the floorplan.

Dowser Tue 12-Dec-17 12:40:45

Only cos it’s a smallbungalow and is a rectangle
1000 sq feet

RestingGrinchFace Tue 12-Dec-17 12:43:19

Square footage makes a huge difference these days. Most modern houses are shockingly small so a 3 bed Victorian house will often be 1 1/2 - 2 times bigger than a new build 3 bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now