Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Hysterectomy and hoovering

(6 Posts)
cakedup Tue 12-Dec-17 10:34:20

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy almost 4 weeks ago. Dr gave the standard 6 wks before attempting hoovering but I honestly feel fine and able to do it. Anyone else done this and lived to tell the tale? Or regretted it?!

Youngmystery Tue 12-Dec-17 10:44:45

My mum was told if she had a hysterectomy she'd be not allowed to even make a cup of tea for 6 months. She has some extra issues though, but I'm guessing hoovering for you is out of the question for 6 weeks. I maybe wouldn't, they have just done major surgery on you. You're allowed to just chill out and relax.

cakedup Tue 12-Dec-17 11:35:19

Wow Youngmystery - I'm guessing the complications had a huge impact. Surely you meant 6 weeks though?! Even so I was making tea in week 1. However I should point out I'm 45 whereas mu mum had hers at 55 and her recovery was much longer. Even 10 years makes a lot of difference.

Youngmystery Tue 12-Dec-17 12:30:12

No I meant 6 months haha. She is older too, in her 50s and there are extra issues, but I can't remember what. She's already had her gall bladder removed as it poisoned her pancreas and nearly killed her too so think there's something from that that's made it worse but I can't remember. The doctor does want it done though as it will help her health a lot but she won't do it because of the time off. She'd have to be in hospital for 2 of the months I think as well.

Ridingthegravytrain Tue 12-Dec-17 12:32:00

I wouldn’t. Even if you feel fine you should wait the full 6 weeks. What’s the point of risking it and possibly ending up with other prolapses or complications

cakedup Tue 12-Dec-17 22:53:21

Oh your poor mum Youngmystery . I only had to stay in hospital for 3 nights which is usual. I hope she is able to make the best decision for her health.

Oh my goodness Riding I didn't even know vaginal prolapse after hysterectomy was a thing until I just looked it up after reading your post. That really has put me off hoovering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now