Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why does this time of year cause panic in me?

(10 Posts)
cjt110 Tue 12-Dec-17 10:30:23

I get this over-awing jittery feeling this time of year. Pressure(?) to make sure we have everything we need for Xmas without having to trudge to the shops at 11pm on Xmas Eve. That stuff is organised in advance so there isn't any last minute rushes.

And DH just says "Stop whittling"

Tactics to help me chill out please?

Allwashedup Tue 12-Dec-17 10:34:12

I understand and feel the same flowers. I hate the pressure for everything to be perfect.
I try to do a little preparation (e.g wrapping, cleaning) each day and most shopping online.
Get DH to do his share in helping too.
Remember it will soon be over smile

specialsubject Tue 12-Dec-17 10:39:53

There is no pressure for everything to be perfect. It is just a meal or a family get together.

Stop all adult presents, give kids less, remember you don't actually need very much.

cjt110 Tue 12-Dec-17 10:39:58

allwashedup Im panicking over whether to pay £5 to have my shopping delivered or go and collect it on 22nd. Which is also my birthday. Fucking ridiculous.

I've overdone it on our foodshop to be delivered today so that we have 3 weeks worth of evening meals seeing us through to thwe new year. This shop for 22nd is just milk, bead and things for christmas lunch. But then I panic... what if they don't have the shit I want? I cant handle going to the supermarket.... ARGH!!!!!!!!

cjt110 Tue 12-Dec-17 10:40:27

specialsubject I think the only thing thats stressing me is the bloody food shop!

Allwashedup Tue 12-Dec-17 10:44:26

OP get it delivered if possible, or go late night the week before - supermarkets surprisingly quiet in my experience 8pm onwards.

Sorry to hear you are fretting - think lots of people are in the same boat.

TheMasterNotMargarita Tue 12-Dec-17 10:45:06

I used to be like this and then I gave myself a shake.
I do not need to make homemade mince pies if I don't have time.
I don't need to feel horrifically guilty if I forget to send one of the neighbours a card.
A frozen turkey is just as tasty as fresh and means there is less cleaning up.
I've got to a point now where we really take Christmas for what it is (to us). A time for eating nice, of sometimes mismatched, food. Time with family and not worrying if the house is upside down.
As long as the kids are sorted and there is wine it's all good!

WipsGlitter Tue 12-Dec-17 10:52:37

As I trudged round M&S yesterday getting crackers I remembered that I always get pissed off at this time of the year about how much money I spend!!

VioletCharlotte Tue 12-Dec-17 10:54:03

I feel the same OP. There's just too much to think about isn't there? Juggling a busy life - work, kids, home and animals is hard enough, Christmas adds so much extra pressure. This weekend I felt completely overwhelmed, like my head was about to explode!

I fell a bit better now, I've deleted Facebook and Twitter from my phone as all the 'noise' was cluttering up my brain, and I went to yoga last night which always makes me feel more chilled.

cjt110 Tue 12-Dec-17 11:23:07

I think thats it Violet Noise. Fuck it. I'll get it delivered. What's £5 in the scheme of things?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now