Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What are you the family expert on, despite....

(36 Posts)
ShotsFired Tue 12-Dec-17 09:36:47

Inspired by a couple of comments about what people liked once, 20 years ago, on the Shit Christmas present thread...

In my family I am the expert on Greek holidays because I went on a 2 week package holiday to Corfu in 1996. Never been there since, yet anytime anyone is considering a trip there I am consulted.

I am also some kind of super-authority on green tea because I went through a phase of drinking it for a brief period back in the late 90s. To this day they still ask if I want a cup of that “funny stuff”…

FellOutOfBed2wice Tue 12-Dec-17 09:42:31

Did A Level RE so my family always ask me Bible related questions confused it was 15 years ago and I got a B so their faith (pun intended) in my retained knowledge is a bit misplaced!

BackBoiler Tue 12-Dec-17 09:45:17

I get asked what time buses run to certain places, even though I only use public transport to the city centre for work and I have a car!

Youngmystery Tue 12-Dec-17 10:36:34

I'm supposed to know everything in the world and more because I have two degrees. That's not how it works... I'm not even sure I know the subjects I did my degrees on.

MaroonPencil Tue 12-Dec-17 10:40:45

The definitions of words, because I have an English degree. In fact, while I do have a wide vocab and can use words correctly, I struggle to define them specifically - I know what a wry smile is but would struggle to define "wry" accurately without looking it up.

exLtEveDallas Tue 12-Dec-17 10:42:35

Setting up people's TVs. Because I set my mum and dad's tv up once back in 1996 when they got a new Video/DVD player. Now I am the expert apparently.

Stompythedinosaur Tue 12-Dec-17 11:29:26

I am a mental health nurse. Mainly dp's family want to consult me about any healthcare issues from a heavy cold to erectile dysfunction.

No amount of saying I have no experience in those areas works, now I just read them whatever the nhs website says.

PJBanana Tue 12-Dec-17 11:33:02

Spelling. To be fair I am a writer but I use a computer all day so my spelling isn’t what it once was.

French. Whenever people are speaking French on TV, everyone looks at me expectedly as if I understand every word. This is because I studied French at GCSE.

ShotsFired Wed 13-Dec-17 08:33:46

Well now I know where to come for all my Bible, Bus, Everything, Definitions, Audio-Visual, Medical and Spelling needs grin

<makes notes in address book>

Handsfull13 Wed 13-Dec-17 08:37:44

To my mum I'm the fount of all knowledge as I like to look random stuff up if I come across something I don't know. It's taken me years to teach her to just google it as most of the time that's what I do when she asks.
I'm also tech support because I was her first child to get an iPhone and computer. Even though my sister still lives in her house and can answer all her questions. I did query that one and she said I'm more helpful and less judgmental that she couldn't do it.

steppemum Wed 13-Dec-17 08:41:41

we are just the opposite.
I am genuinely and expert on a certain subject, but in any conversation anyone's opinion based on what they have seen on TV is obviously superior to my knowlegde in an area I have studied and work in.

Dh is a hydrologist. When my parents were having trouble with drainage in their garden, and he was there, he suggested something, and was talked over by my parents. I did quietly point out that if they liked they could listen to the builder, who had never done this before, or they could employ dh to give them his expert opinion at the rate of £xxx per hour, or, if they wanted help, they could just, you know listen?
To be fair they did shut up and listen to what he said and it completely changed what they had planned to do to sort the drainage out.

I am youngest, and despite being 50, I obviously know less than everyone else.<sigh>

Easilyflattered Wed 13-Dec-17 08:49:52

How to use unfamiliar washing machines at holiday homes etc. I was born with knowledge of every laundry device ever created, especially foreign ones.

I also instinctively know which is the hot and cold tap if they're not marked.

EtInTerraPax Wed 13-Dec-17 08:55:11

I have a geography degree, therefore I know where absolutely everywhere in Britain or the world is... hmm actually I pretty much do, being a maps obsessive

MycatsaPirate Wed 13-Dec-17 08:56:40

All books ever written. I read a lot but this means that I am supposed to know the author of every book ever written.

If a quiz question on TV is about books, everyone looks at me assuming I will definitely know the answer.

ragged Wed 13-Dec-17 09:03:31

I get asked to comment on all-things-raising-children at work, because I have 4 DC (other people have 1-3 DC, mostly adults, and grandchildren).

WhatALoadOfBaubles Wed 13-Dec-17 09:04:23

My MIL seems to think I know the name of the MP of every constituency in the country, and all the members of the cabinet, etc. because I did a degree in Politics 30 years ago.

Also, it is presumed by many that I'd prefer black clothing/accessories as gifts because I was a goth in my teens. I'm 48 now.

GreatWesternValkyrie Wed 13-Dec-17 09:08:42

The internet. I shop online so will definitely know exactly where to purchase any item no matter how random or obscure it is (in fairness , this is mostly my mother who is in her 70s and thinks there’s a really big department store that runs on “that internet stuff”!).

BelfastSmile Wed 13-Dec-17 09:11:20

Everything. This is because I have a PhD and read The Guardian. The PhD is in Maths, and I haven't read a newspaper since before the kids were born. I can barely name the Prime Minister these days.

WindyWindy Wed 13-Dec-17 09:13:30

Spelings.
It's the blind leading the blind..

whiskyowl Wed 13-Dec-17 09:14:05

We have the opposite. DH is an international expert in a certain field. His parents still try to explain said field to him, as if he is four years old and cannot possibly understand it, while getting it wrong.

WindyWindy Wed 13-Dec-17 09:15:44

Also in the wider family absolutely nothing because I am the youngest..

It makes me laugh now but it used to irritate!

kmmr Wed 13-Dec-17 09:16:37

Why credit card fees are expensive. Why your loan was declined. Why bank queues are so long/short/disfunctional. Why bankers get paid so much. Why the base rate is moving...
Because I worked in a far back office function at a bank 10 years ago, a million miles from customers!

Pythonesque Wed 13-Dec-17 09:17:43

My brother-in-law had some gaps in his education for various reasons. Over the years when he discovers something else that he doesn't know, he'll often approach my husband and I (academic/professional). The thing that always gets me, though, is that my sister is as academically able as I am, and although she has ended up a professional musician she often knows and understands a lot of the things her husband asks us about ...

CoughingForWeeks Wed 13-Dec-17 09:21:06

Computers, because I once did a disc cleanup/defrag/toolbar uninstall on my parents' ancient desktop PC

Mooey89 Wed 13-Dec-17 09:21:22

I am a social worker with older people. I am now the ‘family social worker’ and am consulted on all issues from grannys gout to my cousins rehab stint to post natal depression, all forms, wills, hospital stays etc etc... you get the picture!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now