Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you could live anywhere in the UK....

(39 Posts)
MrsFamily Mon 11-Dec-17 22:55:53

....where would you go??

Am thinking somewhere with good schools, both primary and secondary, good quality of life (whatever that might mean) and nice friendly folk.

Probably the vaguest criteria ever and all highly subjective but any views welcome.

Bit of backstory, I am rapidly coming to the realisation that I am not happy with my life and things aren't right for my family and something needs to change. Not entirely sure what but pondering many options. We currently live in SE, DH has full-on job, I struggle to work part time due to his total lack of flexibility and no family support. Could give up work but it would mean giving up the only thing I am reasonably good at to be SAHM again - after 7 years of it until 3 years ago, I don't think I'm very good at it. And would have no life at all due to DH's hours. Children clearly need time with their dad and I feel as if I spend time facilitating everyone else's life not terribly well. SE England also insanely competitive and I am not entirely sure that's good for any of us. People all very nice and I have people I can talk to/lift share with but I don't really feel I have any friends after 8 years here - pretty sure no one locally knows when my birthday is, for example.

So, we could move, we'd have a reasonable budget and hopefully time for each other and our 4 DCs. Question is, where? Neither of us is from the SE, all areas considered.

I appreciate this may well be a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water but I really need to think of some other ideas so all thoughts welcome.

Thank you.

goose1964 Mon 11-Dec-17 23:24:10

Depending on the job I would suggest Cardiff, it's vibrant , loads to do and houses aren't extortionate. If you go up the valleys they can even be cheap

CappuccinoCake Mon 11-Dec-17 23:26:03

Winchester if I could afford it!

If not some where else ;) I quote like Bristol (also expensive) and Norwich.

MrsFamily Tue 12-Dec-17 00:54:45

Hmm, Cardiff's a thought. We could manage a drop in income with lower housing. Winchester is lovely but I think has many similar traits to the area we're in.

Food for thought to start with, thank you.

MrsFamily Tue 12-Dec-17 00:55:39

Lower cost housing, I meant. Although we are in a hilly area, so may well be lower too....:

hollowtree Tue 12-Dec-17 00:57:41

Newcastle! If you move near somewhere like Whitley Bay you have the sea side, quiet rural living with a 30 minute metro to the city centre. Best of everything! Newcastle is my dream home one day...

Janetjanetjanet Tue 12-Dec-17 00:59:18

I'd move to Scotland without a doubt.

That or North Yorkshire/North East.

MrsFamily Tue 12-Dec-17 01:04:33

Hollow, am from the NE originally and me and DH would move there like a shot (parents are still in Northumberland so we go frequently). My concern is schools - I know there are good ones but not many (schools - rather than good schools). DC1 can struggle socially (currently awaiting a referral for ASD
assessment) and I would be concerned what would happen if secondary didn't work out - nowhere to move to.

I do like Yorkshire too but it would be a matter of where and schooling. And I would
need to overcome my aversion to the cold....

ColinsVeryJolly Tue 12-Dec-17 01:06:07

I love my home county of Shropshire but if I had the money I'd move to Quorn in Leicestershire.

My brother lived there for a while and we all fell in love with the place when we visited.

A village feel but close to Loughborough and Leicester and with lots of very nice pubs and restaurants for a small place. Some very nice houses there too.

hollowtree Tue 12-Dec-17 01:07:02

mrs I didn't know that about the schools! Thank you for informing me... I moved to Newcastle to study and was only there a few years but I feel like I left my 'best self' there! I miss it so much.

Maybe it wouldn't be the same going back older and wider (as opposed to wiser)

ColinsVeryJolly Tue 12-Dec-17 01:08:31

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58507639.html

Well hello gorgeous house in Quorn 😍

MrsFamily Tue 12-Dec-17 01:20:00

Hollow, there are really good secondaries in Hexham and Morpeth, and think the Alnwick one is ok, but there is just one of them. Don't know Newcastle schools so well but one of my family went to Kings in Tynemouth which is now a free school and I think still
good. There's just that concern on what you do if the school is great but your DC isn't happy there - where do you move them too? There are lots of secondaries here so quite a bit of choice but it's a wholly selective county and am not sure that's going to work for DC1.

I do like Leicestershire, although particularly interested at the mention of Shropshire!

Have never thought about a move in these terms before - normally it's job first and I'm finding the choice a bit overwhelming. Although can imagine the DC veto-Ing it anyway.....

flumpybear Tue 12-Dec-17 01:26:40

West bridgford near Nottingham is fantastic but I'd say it depends on jobs and what companies you need to be near?!

Dilligaf81 Tue 12-Dec-17 01:26:44

Bournemouth for me. I love the vibe and a whole host of different areas with good schools lovely older style houses and the beach. New forest on the doorstep as well. I currently live just outside Winchester and that's great but no beach.

MrsFamily Tue 12-Dec-17 12:07:29

Thank you, will think about those. DH spent quite part of his childhood in Notts so I think his inclination would be to go further afield. We'd need a decent regional centre such as Nottingham or Leeds (or Bournmouth) as both have quite corporate backgrounds but would probably be able to buy outright in many places so it would be more a matter of finding the right place and then looking at jobs and houses.

MrsFamily Tue 12-Dec-17 12:07:47

Do excuse the typos!

Madreputa Tue 12-Dec-17 12:08:31

London forever!

LemonysSnicket Tue 12-Dec-17 12:08:42

Scotland or North Yorkshire ( Harrogate preferably.)

LemonysSnicket Tue 12-Dec-17 12:10:28

Sorry @ColinsveryJolly I dont rate that house at all .... but this one in Harrogate is my DREAM.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65789357.html

MercianQueen Tue 12-Dec-17 12:12:46

I’m clearly biased, but Shropshire is a fantastic place to live. Dependent on where you are, Birmingham is commutable if you’re willing to have a bit of a commute (if that makes sense). But the countryside and people are wonderful, lots of lovely little market towns and villages, safe for kids and some good schools.

splendide Tue 12-Dec-17 12:22:42

I love that house Lemony!

Maybe I should move to Harrogate - I am looking at 3 bed semis for about that price where I am.

Northumberlandlass Tue 12-Dec-17 12:25:54

I live in the Tyne Valley in Northumberland and it's great!
Excellent schools, great quality of life & Newcastle for vibrancy 30 mins away, coast & amazing countryside a short drive.

scaryteacher Tue 12-Dec-17 12:40:19

If I were rich, then Winchester, as I went to sixth form there and adored it, and still do 30+ years on. I also love Cambridge, but it's cold in the winter, and all the lovely chelsea buns from Fitzbillies, don't ameliorate the cold enough.

We are moving back to the UK in 2019, and will be returning to the westcountry - the Cornwall/Devon border. I was back doing the Mum and ds pick up last week, and thought then that I can't wait to move back.

scaryteacher Tue 12-Dec-17 12:42:21

If I were rich, then Winchester, as I went to sixth form there and adored it, and still do 30+ years on. I also love Cambridge, but it's cold in the winter, and all the lovely chelsea buns from Fitzbillies, don't ameliorate the cold enough.

We are moving back to the UK in 2019, and will be returning to the westcountry - the Cornwall/Devon border. I was back doing the Mum and ds pick up last week, and thought then that I can't wait to move back.

Fantasticmissfoxy Tue 12-Dec-17 12:42:43

If your husband can get work anywhere - the Moray Coast area in Scotland. It's where I grew up and despite traveling all over the world I truly believe it's the best place there is. Nice climate, beautiful scenery (coastal, mountains, rolling farmland, woodlands) and very very affordable. Also has a history of military bases so more used to 'incomers' than some of the other northern parts of Scotland. Good transport links (rail, ferry and air) and some lovely small schools.

Give it a google....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now