Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Jim "We'll get you round" Roberts

(4 Posts)
FattyMa Mon 11-Dec-17 20:41:59

Known this couple for about 10 years although the husbands go back a long way. Been to each other's weddings and had them round for BBQ gatherings at ours. So everytime we bump into him he says "we'll get you round" - about 10 years later we're still waiting on an invite! Has become a bit of a standing joke between DH and I and we now call him Jim "we'll get you round" Roberts. Anyone else got "friends" like this?

Pennywhistle Tue 12-Dec-17 04:59:31

Yes, I know a few people like this. There can be a few different reasons why invitations never materialise and it’s usually nothing to do with whether they like you or not.

Some people find hosting terribly stressful.
More people than you think suffer social anxiety or depression.
Some people’s lives are just really busy and they don’t have the time, energy or organisational skills to get dates in the diary.
They might not be able to afford to host.
They are ashamed of their home or cooking skills.
Their marriage might be in trouble and not up to the stresses on hosting.

In my experience, they want to maintain the friendship but just can’t manage/face hosting.

Find other ways to see them, quick drink in the pub, meet in the park with the kids, meet in a restaurant etc.

We really love hosting but when our twins were little and then again after I’d just gone back to work full time we honestly couldn’t manage it. Thankfully we have lovely understanding friends.

BillywilliamV Tue 12-Dec-17 05:54:48

Just written a dozen Christmas cards to various people saying more or less this very thing. Would love to spend time with all of them, just lacking the time to spend.

TroelsLovesSquinkies Tue 12-Dec-17 08:01:21

Sil used to do "we'll do lunch soon" I can say married to her brother for 30 years and only went out to lunch with her once.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now