Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Sending Christmas presents to Australia

(48 Posts)
ChocolateDoll Mon 11-Dec-17 20:13:53

Have a sister that lives In Brisbane.

It’s a right pain in the arse at Christmas time, if i’m honest.

Items that can be sent in the post are so limited, I’ve given up bothering (and probs am too late now anyway).

So i’m thinking I need to get on an Australian website, and get something delivered straight to her.

Maybe a posh hamper? She’s very poncey about food and wine so would have to be something good quality.

Anybody got any recommendations of a good Australian brand / website for this???

Or indeed, any other ideas?

As if Christmas planning isn’t hard enough as it is, without adding 11,000 miles into the equation! fangry

BIWI Mon 11-Dec-17 20:17:12

Ocello a cheese company that we use. However, they're based in Sydney, so not sure if they'd deliver!

And Dan Murphy's to deliver wine/beer

WindyWednesday Mon 11-Dec-17 20:40:32

My brother lives in Brisbane too. I feel your pain. I order books, via book depository who send worldwide for free.

Or I send small things by post in sept/Oct.

They now have Next stores. But generally online stuff isn’t the same as here. They don’t really do online shopping.

Have you been there to know the sort of shops they’ve got?

RNBrie Mon 11-Dec-17 20:42:20

There are tons of gift websites in Australia you can order from. My favourite is www.hardtofind.com.au

WindyWednesday Mon 11-Dec-17 20:43:32

Myer.com.au

It’s a old fashioned website, but the shop is more like John Lewis. Department store.

ruleshelpcontrolthefun Mon 11-Dec-17 20:49:16

It's not really that hard to buy a few gifts early, wrap them and book a courier though, is it?

nightshade Mon 11-Dec-17 20:50:28

I think amazon do online Australia or am I making that up?

nightshade Mon 11-Dec-17 20:50:38

I think amazon do online Australia or am I making that up?

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 11-Dec-17 20:52:37

Windy can you pay using a uk PayPal
address?

Boopear Mon 11-Dec-17 20:54:03

I used David Jones. Very naice dept store . They do some great beauty/fashion items. It was only $10 for delivery - ordered yesterday and to be delivered on 18th.

Also John Lewis deliver to Oz for £10.00 for any number of items in one order (not all their items can be delivered internationally but you can filter)

Tugtupite Mon 11-Dec-17 20:54:58

Bowden, ASOS, m&s all deliver to Oz direct in case that helps. ..ASOS did UK to Sydney in 48 hours for me once ...amazingly fast!

nancy75 Mon 11-Dec-17 20:55:52

Does your sister like wine? Not too far from Brissie is Maleny which is a wine growing region, most of the vineyards do delivery. I’m not actually a wine drinker but I’m told it’s very good wine. Just google Maleny wine & loads will come up.

RestingGrinchFace Mon 11-Dec-17 20:56:16

T2 is universally acceptable if she's into tea.

luckylavender Mon 11-Dec-17 20:57:33

I use Look Fantastic to send beauty gifts to my friend in Australia. Painless.

Tugtupite Mon 11-Dec-17 20:57:45

Yes Amazon too, and you'll be told if the item banned for the delivery country you specify (and blocked from buying it)

Boopear Mon 11-Dec-17 20:59:31

Actually David jones have 30% off sale today shop.davidjones.com.au/ . And they do hampers. And take PayPal. And I can't do links blush

EmmaGrundyForPM Mon 11-Dec-17 21:06:11

I haven't used this myself but you could use it to send your sister British stuff that she can't get in Oz: www.bestofbritish.com.au/

We used a similar site in the US for FiL who lives there and who really misses "proper" marmalade, British chocolate and Marmite. He was chuffed to bits.

WindyWednesday Mon 11-Dec-17 21:23:38

Amazon in Australia only do books.

retirednow Mon 11-Dec-17 21:25:21

M&S Australia, you order direct from the UK

theotherendofthesockportal Mon 11-Dec-17 21:28:18

My cousins live in Oz. I always order bath stuff from lush through the Australian website lush.com.au it works out cheaper than the UK, the shipping is reasonable too!

Tugtupite Tue 12-Dec-17 06:59:06

Amazon in Australia only do books I've just looked and amazon.com.au seems to be selling pretty much everything except for food. Am I missing something?

Alternatively use amazon.co.uk account to order UK site and amazon.com account to order US site. Amazon.de for German stuff etc (I've used all 3 to import stuff into Sydney) with notifications if an item cannot be shipp d for customs or trading law reasons.

Good luck OP.

StUmbrageinSkelt Tue 12-Dec-17 07:08:34

David Jones for a hamper. Or google hampers Brisbane and lots come up.

amazon.au was only books but last week we got a proper amazon online service.

Why do people in the UK think Australians don't shop online? Every thread likes this you tell us we don't and it is most puzzling.

LustyBusty Tue 12-Dec-17 07:12:15

Amazon Australia went live on non-book items late last week. There's still stuff you can't get (come on Echo!!) but there is a wide variety of stuff on there already. Warehouse is in Melbourne. Failing that, as per pp, David Jones and Myer are department stores, M&S have an Aussie site (though I am in Aus so I don't know about ordering from UK for delivery to aus) and that best of British site gets mention lot though I've not used it.

WindyWednesday Tue 12-Dec-17 14:15:59

My brother says online shopping in Australia isn’t as big a deal as it is in the UK. That’s what I’m going on. He says it is catching up, but has been slow to get going.

EveryDayIsLikeMonday Tue 12-Dec-17 18:48:11

I've used this company for several years: https://www.alittleluxury.com.au/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now