Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

'Instead of a takeaway'

(162 Posts)
passemoilevin Mon 11-Dec-17 20:07:27

Does anybody else convince themselves out of a takeaway by making the most decadent fattening dinners ever? I'm skint, but I love takeaways. However, im always disappointed when I treat myself to one - and pretty much every single time I wish I hadn't spent £15 on one after I'd ate it. And think about the better things I could have spent my money on (massive overthinker).

So anyway, to get myself out of this, I make myself really naughty easy food out of stuff I have at home. That's probably similar calories, but taste better and are free (or not free, but come out of the general shopping budget).

So tonight I'm having:

A few slices of Goodfellas thin pepperoni pizza (prefer it to dominos) and loads of sweetcorn anddd..
Oven chips topped with last nights slow cooked pork in gravy and mozzarella (in a separate bowl cause it'd be gross together)

I also have wine, baileys, haribo and salted caramel chocolate for afterwards to peruse at my pleasure. Because if there's one thing takeaway is missing, it's nice drink/ pudding. grin

Is it just me? grin if so, what is the yummiest most calorific dinner you could make out of your fridge/ cupboard stocks right now if you so chose to?

gunsandbanjos Mon 11-Dec-17 20:09:13

Takeaways are 90% of the time over priced and disappointing.

I occasionally crave one and I'm invariably disappointed.

BuzzKillington Mon 11-Dec-17 20:11:06

Blimey - that sounds like a pile of disgustingness to me, but each to their own!

Can you really eat that much?

passemoilevin Mon 11-Dec-17 20:13:31

*Blimey - that sounds like a pile of disgustingness to me, but each to their own!

Can you really eat that much?*

Buzzkillington by name, buzzkillington by nature grin all I've managed to eat at work are a few grapes somebody bought in. Recently got home and got my DD to bed. So I'm ravenous. And they're not massive portions. As I say, no bigger than a big curry or Chinese.

MrsDc7 Mon 11-Dec-17 20:14:30

can you really eat that much grin mumsnet strikes again

Bettydownthehall Mon 11-Dec-17 20:15:35

I sometimes spend £15 on on nice put in the oven food from Waitrose or m and s. Usually much better. Or picky stuff, like a cooked chicken, nice bread, olives, cheeses. Mmmmmmm

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Mon 11-Dec-17 20:18:16

I n9w have a curry takeaway advert runn8ng across my MN page!

Yes, i do this. I make cheesy nachos with dips, quesadillas, fish finger sandwhiches.

I think the lure of takeaway when home late from work is more for easy food than the actual takeaway.

StrictlyCalmanDancing Mon 11-Dec-17 20:18:37

I learnt a while ago that when DP says she wants a takeaway what she actually means is "I want garlic bread" so I tend to buy a nice ready meal (M&S steak lasagne is a fave) that can be paired with garlic bread and I get to eat most of it because she fills up on garlic bread.

reetgood Mon 11-Dec-17 20:18:55

I like this idea, although my decadent dinner would be different..

However, when I'm after a takeaway it's usually because I can't be arsed cooking. Even the 'put something in an oven' level of cooking.

passemoilevin Mon 11-Dec-17 20:19:11

I sometimes spend £15 on on nice put in the oven food from Waitrose or m and s. Usually much better. Or picky stuff, like a cooked chicken, nice bread, olives, cheeses. Mmmmmmm

Oh god, me too. I'm just applying for grad jobs for when I finish uni next year - right now, I'm working on my application as an m&s food buyer. Didn't even know what my dream job was until I saw the application 😋

And yes, rotisserie chicken. Camembert. Freshly baked bread. Another fave 'instead of a takeaway' dinner grin

LineyRunner Mon 11-Dec-17 20:20:54

Naughty and picky food. Only a nom nom left to go and There Will Be Froth

Dozer Mon 11-Dec-17 20:21:08

Takeaways round here are mainly rubbish but under a tenner for one person.

I think the supermarket ready meals are pretty good and £3-£4.

I often binge eat but dislike dessert and booze with a takeaway!

For trashy food at home I like instant ramen noodles or processed cheese slices on toast!

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Mon 11-Dec-17 20:21:13

Can you really eat that much? grin. Yes, op, you've gone severely over your two lettuce leaf allowance there... Shame on you.

OuchLegoHurts Mon 11-Dec-17 20:22:38

Can you really eat that much?

Hahaha! In the real world people can actually manage more than a single slice of pizza.

Dozer Mon 11-Dec-17 20:22:40

Ah, student food days, now THAT was good takeaway! Grilled chicken kebabs were a staple after a night out!

LookImAHooman Mon 11-Dec-17 20:22:40

You need to add antipasti and smoked salmon to the nibbles menu, OP. With a naice bottle.

passemoilevin Mon 11-Dec-17 20:23:16

For trashy food at home I like instant ramen noodles or processed cheese slices on toast!

Yes! One of my favourite dinners is supernoodles, bacon, grated cheese and sweetcorn. Dinner of the gods, I promise.

ALemonyPea Mon 11-Dec-17 20:23:29

Usually something from M&S. Their newish rectangle pizzas are amazing.

Currently, three shelves in my freezer are rammed full of frozen M&S buffet food for Boxing Day. Every day I’ve got to fight with myself to not cook any of it, last Saturday especially when DH was out and I was bored.

Janetjanetjanet Mon 11-Dec-17 20:23:53

Yeah op, can you really eat that much?

Bubblebubblepop Mon 11-Dec-17 20:24:07

That is one amazing meal OP

BuzzKillington Mon 11-Dec-17 20:24:30

Yes, because the alternative to pizza, chips, gravy. mozzarella, wine, baileys, haribo and chocolate is 2 lettuce leaves. hmm

Dozer Mon 11-Dec-17 20:25:57

See I only like bacon hot in sandwiches or in pasta carbonara.

JollyGiraffe Mon 11-Dec-17 20:26:05

The absolute best 'fakeaway' is the Crispy Chilli Beef from Sainsbury's.

It is amazing. Crispy and the sauce is just mmmmm...

And much cheaper and less greasy than the takeaway version!

Dozer Mon 11-Dec-17 20:27:37

My brother makes a damn good home made pizza, jamie oliver dough I think.

Heratnumber7 Mon 11-Dec-17 20:29:24

few slices of Goodfellas thin pepperoni pizza (prefer it to dominos) and loads of sweetcorn and Oven chips topped with last nights slow cooked pork in gravy and mozzarella (in a separate bowl cause it'd be gross together)

I also have wine, baileys, haribo and salted caramel chocolate for afterwards to peruse at my pleasure

Sorry OP but that sounds gross

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now