Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How to split Christmas cash

(9 Posts)
PhyllisWig Mon 11-Dec-17 17:42:27

My uncle has v generously given my mum some money for my family (me, dh, 2 dds) for Christmas. He's given us 200 quid.

Dm suggested I give 50 quid each to dds, 25 each to me and dh then keep 25 back for dds for their birthday as my uncle would never remember bless him and nor would I expect him to.

I quite fancy just sharing it out 50 quid each. Dds birthdays are close to Christmas and they have loads of stuff. DH and I don't get much spare money to spend on ourselves. Don't get me wrong we are lucky to have enough but rarely anything frivolous and 50 quid to spend on a nice top or something sounds v tempting.

Then I feel a bit out of order and like I should give more to dds because we are grown ups and Christmas is about kids etc. Uncle seriously will not care either way and dm was only suggesting too so this is just my guilt talking.

How should I split it?

isthistoonosy Mon 11-Dec-17 17:45:27

You and dh £50 each, dds £25 for Christmas and £25 for bday. (assuming dds aren't teens, who I would just five the full £50 at Xmas.)

TrojansAreSmegheads Mon 11-Dec-17 17:45:33

i would do what you want. 50 each is great.

christmas isnt about kids. it's , well, it's about jesus really but who cares about that wink.

it is about family and celebrating and something nice and why the hell shouldnt you all enjoy?

BifsWif Mon 11-Dec-17 18:09:16

I agree, £50 each for you and DH. £25 for each child for Christmas and then again for their birthday.

I’m sure your children will have plenty and really don’t need £50 each just for Christmas. Treat yourself smile.

AvoidingDM Mon 11-Dec-17 18:09:38

I'd go for family passes to somewhere then you can benefit all year.
I wouldn't hold money back for birthdays.

MyBrilliantDisguise Mon 11-Dec-17 18:12:19

I'd say £75 to each adult and £25 to each child! If your children have plenty of things, they don't need another £50.

ChristmasTreeLight Mon 11-Dec-17 18:13:39

How old are the DC?

PhyllisWig Mon 11-Dec-17 19:13:46

Dcs are nearly 8 and have lots already with a birthday coming up in a month.

I do like the idea of 25 each for b day and Christmas actually, thank you.

GreenTulips Mon 11-Dec-17 19:17:42

DM does this and it really depends

One year DH benifits as her needed a larger item and was struggling to save, but usually the kids get it

This year we need a washing machine and well I just went and brought one, they wil benifit from it and I haven't had a mothers gift for years, not that I see this as a gift!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now