Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Christmas tree lights

(39 Posts)
PurpleStarInCashmereSky Mon 11-Dec-17 17:21:37

Put my tree up yesterday with snow falling. Was appropriately festive.

Had two sets of (matching) fairy lights for the tree this year as I like a dense covering of lights. When I went to turn them on, I had to go through a tedious set of button pressing to get the lights to JUST STAY ON! Why do they insist on starting them out flashing madly enough to leave spots in my eyes and give me a headache. angry

Then to make matters worse I put a pic on facebook (I know I know, no one cares about my tree) and someone said that multicolour lights were vulgar!!! Soft white only in their house!

So MNetters
A) are any of you flashing light havers? How can you put up with such a godawful distraction in your sitting room?
B) do you all have naice soft white lights and am I (whispers) common for loving pretty multicoloured lights.

PS my fb friend was mostly joking so I wasn't offended and got my own back by insulting his baubles.

Knittedfairies Mon 11-Dec-17 17:27:58

Ohh... fancy having your baubles insulted.. I shall out myself as having naice warm white lights. But then I have knitted mice on my tree, so what do I know?

StripySocksAndDocs Mon 11-Dec-17 17:34:09

"Multi coloured lights are back on trend. Those who know, know."

Tell your light discriminatory friend that.

I've flashy lights. Put them on my bush; and I quite frankly don't care which way they blink and flash as tbey make it more festive.

PurpleStarInCashmereSky Mon 11-Dec-17 17:37:44

Is your bush on show to the neighbors Stripy? Are you flashing outside in the garden?

His baubles were crap Knitted. Mine are also crap but I only set up home 5 years ago and bought a job lot of plastic glittery ones. Am slowly replacing them with a mix of naice hanging decorations and seasonal stormtroopers.

PanPanPanPing Mon 11-Dec-17 17:38:51

Who cares what someone else thinks. Your decorations are for you, and your family, to enjoy.

Tell him to go and have a running fuck at a rolling doughnut fgrin

dementedpixie Mon 11-Dec-17 17:39:33

I have multi coloured lights but not on a flashing setting

FoofFighter Mon 11-Dec-17 17:39:49

I'm old skool and like multi-coloured lights, just a shame they don't come with plastic tulip shades these days sad the ones i have now have various settings, but I can't find a nice one, it's either still or epileptic fit inducing, and doesn't matter what you put it on, they have a mind of their own anyway and do what they want.

I also like retro decorations like the satin thread balls and these img0.etsystatic.com/214/1/7518484/il_340x270.1313626946_q1ed.jpg

dementedpixie Mon 11-Dec-17 17:40:32

Colourful!

StripySocksAndDocs Mon 11-Dec-17 17:44:34

My neighbours have seen my bush alright. It's right there out front - hard to miss as it's quite big (and. admittedly, slightly unkempt). No negative comments though. Friendly like that round here.

StripySocksAndDocs Mon 11-Dec-17 17:46:08

(I usually start flashing just after dark.)

Christobel51 Mon 11-Dec-17 17:50:58

I'm all for naice warm white lights so I double up on my tree for dense lightage. I do agree however about the flashingness........I can't be doing with it at all. They are either on or they are off. Full stop!
And the rest of the tree is covered in a combination of tat the children have made in the last few years and more tasteful wooden decorations from the Swedish Christmas market we go to where I buy one or two new ones each year. Festive pig anyone?!

PurpleStarInCashmereSky Mon 11-Dec-17 17:51:15

Tulip shades!

My parents had those and I luffed them. Old school incandescent bulbs where if one failed they all went off and you had to play find the fault. LEDs are better for my energy bill and making the tree less of a fire hazard but I still feel we have lost something special. sad

Wilburissomepig Mon 11-Dec-17 18:01:00

White static LEDs here but I love all Christmas trees. My friend has the biggest, most multicoloured tree with flashing lights I've ever seen. I love it because it's so festive and makes me smile. She thinks my green, silver and pale blue decs are boring, which they totally are compared to hers. 😂

PurpleStarInCashmereSky Mon 11-Dec-17 18:02:08

Also I was in Dunelm yesterday and saw a wreath made out of fake fur. Whats all that about? They also had ones made out of feathers.

Much bosum hoiking ensued as I considered how weatherproof they weren't.

eyeswideshit Mon 11-Dec-17 18:04:10

Lights on the tree are white. Lights in the window are multicoloured. Both on a twinkle setting. Both sets of lights have a setting which feels like you're at a rave. I don't know how anyone could live with that constantly!

lucysmam Mon 11-Dec-17 18:05:20

Multi-coloured here! They sort of fade between blue/green and red/orange. Can set them to flash randomly but can't be doing with that.

Baubles are tasteful gold & bronze, to match new living room colour. And a random assortment of sweets/school or home made decs/odd ones we've liked the look of.

Plus flashing pinky stars in the window.

HeatherWeather Mon 11-Dec-17 18:08:12

I bloody LOVE multicoloured lights OP. My living room currently resembles Santa’s Grotto. Every where you look multicoloured lights are shimmering and dancing away to their hearts content grin I had a stage of loving blue LED lights on my white tree but got fed up of them and changed back to my childhood favourite!

TrickyD Mon 11-Dec-17 18:09:42

We have a "tasteful" tree in the dining room with white decs and lights, and a lovely big tree in the sitting room with lots of baubles and coloured lights and very pretty it looks too.

One year we reversed these arrangements and had the tasteful tree in the sitting room. Very disappointing, we all missed the lovely colours.

However the dining room tree does have those lights to which the OP refers with changing light patterns, and it is a complete pain to have to keep pressing the buttons until you reach "steady on" . I can't understand why that isn't the first one which comes on. Devotees of twinkles and flashes can keep on pressing if they want.

PurpleStarInCashmereSky Mon 11-Dec-17 18:12:34

Twinkling lights are just about acceptable. Proper flashing on and off is not.

This is a nice quiet sitting room filled with books, cats, squashy cushions and (if he's lucky) DP. It is not a nightclub nor a paparazzi hangout.

MayhemandMadness01 Mon 11-Dec-17 18:23:02

I treated myself to the google home mini in November. Thought I was being smart by getting this and a smart plug. Thought 'ha at last I found the answer to crawling under the tree to try to try to get to the plug to turn them on/off' only to be foiled by the flashing.

However, I am ignoring this so I can bask in my brillance of saying 'hey google turn the christmas tree lights on/off'

Sofabitch Mon 11-Dec-17 18:25:59

I like naice soft white gently twinkling definitely not flashing.

I couldn't bear coloured lights. But only because my decorations are colour coded and it would look wierd.

But each to their own.

Sofabitch Mon 11-Dec-17 18:29:21

Picture because why not

ineedwine99 Mon 11-Dec-17 18:32:47

I have warm white in twinkle mode on the main tree, cool white one the small tree, no twinkle, colour lights in my kitchen window, no twinkle 😄

katmarie Mon 11-Dec-17 18:34:22

We have coloured lights on the tree and white ones on the arland which goes up the stairs. Mostly because the white ones are longer so they fit the stairs better. I like both, but I do think trees can look a bit sterile with white lights only.

ASDismynormality Mon 11-Dec-17 18:36:35

I had white lights for a couple of years, so boring I love my new multicoloured ones!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now