Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can you buy German food in Aldi/Lidl

(20 Posts)
DoubleLottchen Mon 11-Dec-17 16:11:38

Specifically thinking of spiced red cabbage in a nice big glass jar/vacuum bag, but I would pick up other bits if I was making a special trip (things like different flavoured stollen, non-alcoholic punch etc - do they have those?)
I have only found pickled red cabbage in local supermarkets, which is not the same.
It's about a half hour drive to the nearest one, so wondering if it is worth trying...

Ollivander84 Mon 11-Dec-17 16:13:01

Not sure on the cabbage. They had spiced biscuits, and some chocolate covered ones that I can't remember the name of but were German! And loads of stollen, I got some apple one that was lovely

DoubleLottchen Mon 11-Dec-17 16:24:31

Ooh, apple stollen is my favourite. Maybe it is worth going!

Acopyofacopy Mon 11-Dec-17 16:30:57

Lidl sell some of the same stuff they sell in Germany, Aldi not so much.

I usually do a Christmas trip to Lidl, and a trip during Alpenfest.
They have Stollen and Lebkuchen. I don’t remember seeing red cabbage.

I am always a bit disappointed with Lidl to be honest. Sainsbury’s do the same Stollen and Lebkuchen as well as microwaveable red cabbage and for me it’s just not worth the journey any more. Lots of Polish specialties in the local supermarkets are very good substitutes for German stuff.

Acopyofacopy Mon 11-Dec-17 16:31:54

While I’m at it: they never have Dominosteine, which is outrageous!

Igneococcus Mon 11-Dec-17 16:40:58

Don't know about spiced red cabbage (I make my own) but there are various Stollen, Lebkuchen, Spekulatius. I also saw some non-alcoholic punch. There are also those chocolate logs with nougat (the hazelnutty-chocolatty German version of nougat) and marzipan. Lots of stuff.
I have a Deluxe Stollen with marzipan and rum at home and it is nice. I usually bake my own but I'm too busy this year. It's not the same as homemade but it's pretty decent.

Igneococcus Mon 11-Dec-17 16:41:52

I might be the only German in all the world who can't get excited about Dominosteine.

DoubleLottchen Mon 11-Dec-17 16:42:07

Acopy outrageous indeed!

Tbh even in Germany I find Lidl a bit disappointing grin (Aldi a bit less so - they used to do an amazing range of red cabbage sachets at Christmas) so I suppose I shouldn't be pinning my hopes on it now!

I could cook the cabbage myself, it's just so handy having a sachet of it in the cupboard to save time.
I had thought of looking for Polish alternatives too, but I live in quite a rural area, and the "international" section of the supermarket is a couple of shelves with curry sauce and pesto and dried noodles. I haven't tried Sainsbury's though, and there is one not too far away.

PurplePillowCase Mon 11-Dec-17 16:45:46

red cabbage - look in the polish bit of the international aisle.

MissWimpyDimple Mon 11-Dec-17 16:53:13

Less now than they used to. It used to be a lot of German food but they seem to do very little now.

Lidl used to do a lovely bread but alas no more

Floellabumbags Mon 11-Dec-17 16:57:36

The problem with Lidl is that stuff goes in and out like a fiddler's elbow so you never know what you're going to get.

Twila1 Mon 11-Dec-17 17:46:48

Waitrose/Ocado sells German red cabbage:
www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/hengstenberg-traditional-red-cabbage/082702-42061-42062

madeyemoodysmum Mon 11-Dec-17 17:53:17

I've had loads of German bits over the years from Aldi. Biscuits. Mulled cider stollen cakes etc. Hams.

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 11-Dec-17 17:58:54

If you are brave enough to try mail ordering it, you could try German Deli. They have all sorts of stuff that DD1 fell in love with on her German Exchange (and now you've got me contemplating some sort of Bavarian Christmas Eve buffet!)

DoubleLottchen Mon 11-Dec-17 21:14:33

Ooh, German deli has apple red cabbage in a vacuum sachet <excited>.

£6.95 for delivery though. I would have to order some other stuff to make it worth it. Sadly DD's favourite thing (stripy ketchup-mayonaise in a tube - don't ask!) is out of stock.

LemonysSnicket Mon 11-Dec-17 21:17:16

They sell Bratwurst which is really nice.

PurplePillowCase Mon 11-Dec-17 21:19:52

do you have a christmas market nearby?
they might have a german stall with stuff like that.
or amazon pantry

weegiemum Mon 11-Dec-17 21:47:44

Thanks for the link to the deli! My dh's dad is German and dh has a few things he likes that I found on here! That's the rest of Christmas sorted!

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 11-Dec-17 22:42:37

DoubleLottchen my DD2 would also bite my right arm off for stripy ketchup-mayonnaise in a tube. Not to mention the weird orange-coke mix that she discovered when we visited Munich.

Hulder Tue 12-Dec-17 07:39:03

They sell Nurnberg bratwurst all the time plus some other German sausages in Lidl. Plus there are pickles and things in jars that I've never looked at too closely as we don't buy them

Lidl Christmas is decidedly Germanic - lots of stollen, nicer than in other supermarkets, lebkuchen, speculatius, chocolate marzipan and so on.

Otherwise you have to look out for Alpenfest when they do schupfnudeln, spaetzle and a load of cheese (amongst other things, mainly more sausage). But they won't be doing that until after Christmas. It says what special they are doing on their website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now