Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Wondering about wills

(7 Posts)
flower76 Mon 11-Dec-17 15:02:45

My parents are divorced. My dad remarried, if my dad dies does his wife inherit everything? I mean if he has not specified in his will something else? He only has the house which I assume she would stay in so then I take it as his children we would not inherit? They have no children.

I'm not money grabbing, just wondering.

endofthelinefinally Mon 11-Dec-17 15:05:48

A marriage invalidates any previous will. So if your dad hasnt made a new will since his marriage his new wife will inherit everything.
It is likely that he does not know this as very few people do.

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 11-Dec-17 15:10:16

Yes as endoftheline says.

DH's father remarried nearly 10 yrs ago and we still hear muttering from DH's mum every so often about whether FIL has sorted out the will as she doesn't want 'her boys' to lose out.

DH's view is that it's up to FIL, and he's not bothered about inheriting anything.

endofthelinefinally Mon 11-Dec-17 15:22:04

My grandfather and great uncle fully intended my mother to inherit thrir properties. But neither realised their wills became invalid when they remarried very late in life.
Unfortunately they both married younger gold diggers.
I wish someone had realised and told them about their wills.
People just dont know.

flower76 Mon 11-Dec-17 15:26:34

That is interesting, thank you all. My DAd remarried someone 20 years younger and likelihood is that she will outlive him. I don't think I would ever bring the subject up though.

endofthelinefinally Mon 11-Dec-17 15:28:13

You should at least tell him he must make a new will. He probably has no idea.

HandsOffMyChocolate Mon 11-Dec-17 16:11:55

You could bring up the idea of inheritance without it being about the house.

For example if there's a family keepsake that is small in monetary value but something meaningful to you, you could ask if he's drawn up a will to allow you to naturally inherit things he'd expect you to have like X trinket.

That allows you to have an honest conversation about whether he's considered the change of marital status on inheritance as a bigger picture or if he's already considered it and is happily leaving everything to new wife.

At least you'd know for certain one way or another, from experience this is an easier conversation to have with someone living than to fret about once they've passed away and you cannot know their intentions anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now