Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Being frugal - how?

(52 Posts)
cjt110 Mon 11-Dec-17 14:54:55

I've asked this before and taken advice and then just ignored it. I'm fed up of being skint. My bills etc are all paid but with the money i have for spends, I end up skint about a week before payday and having nothing to show for what I have spent.

So. Hard and fast tips on how to do this are needed.

My new frugal lifestyle starts on payday....22/12 (4 days before actual payday)

I've already batchmade up 7 meals for my lunches for the next few days so I'm not going via the supermarket on the way to work.

CasparMum Mon 11-Dec-17 16:02:59

I make a menu for the week and only buy what I need to make it plus cleaning items to replace finished ones.

PoohBearsHole Mon 11-Dec-17 16:04:59

Can you online supermarket it? Then you can meal plan and be specific rather than impulsive in the store?

Rubyslippers7780 Mon 11-Dec-17 16:06:02

Food planning..including coffees - do you buy at work or use a kettle?
Use cash for a week budget. Take out your budget amount on sunday night and that is it, no using card for 'extras'... you will be amazed at what you save.

TangledInTinsel Mon 11-Dec-17 16:07:02

What do you spend your money on? Are we talking food and other necessities or things like clothes? If it's things which would be a luxury, leave it a day or two before actually buying it to see if you really need or want it.
Else batch making depending on what is on offer.

Brandnewstart Mon 11-Dec-17 16:07:16

Shop in Aldi or Lidl. Less choice and cheaper.
I only look for clothes in the sale. For example for winter boots for the kids on Regatta outlet store. Last year's colours but £17 each rather than £60.
Switch providers. I haven't done this yet but plan to look for new deals in the new year.
Meat free meals twice a week.
Look for price per weight on things so a big pack of mince will be more expensive but if you look at the price per kg it's usually cheaper. Same applies to things like tomato sauce. I only buy branded if it's on offer or in Home Bargains or the like.

formerbabe Mon 11-Dec-17 16:12:36

Try to have a couple of zero spend days per week.

goforkyourself Mon 11-Dec-17 16:13:00

Don't take your purse to work. Batch cook for your evening meals too and cut out meat if you can?

Don't join in Friday post-work drinks at the pub; I stopped doing this a few months ago and it saved me a fortune fshock

cjt110 Mon 11-Dec-17 16:13:26

My money gets frittered away on shit "Oh my son would love that" "Oh thats a bargain" "Oh it's only £1"

It is literally spent on rubbish. Bills and shopping etc is taken care of. It's my own personal money... spends for want of a better word. That I have to do what I like with really. But I end up with naff all to show for it.

But like I say this month, nearing the end of the month as happens every month I'm gambling with the reserve light on the tank and putting off putting fuel in. But only incase I need that 310 for something else.

MrsPear Mon 11-Dec-17 16:14:34

I say this every time. op STOP look at what you do have and then decide if you need something. For supermarket shopping go through all your cupboards and list everything. Then use that to form the basis of your meal plan. The meal plan should cover three or two meals a day plus snacks if you have them. Don’t stop with the food cupboard- check the bathroom or wherever you keep toiletries. Don’t buy more shampoo etc until you use up what you own. Same with household cleaners.

Start to budget- see here mse

cjt110 Mon 11-Dec-17 16:15:34

I made 7 meals... 4 of which were meat free cottage pie topped with carrot and swede mash. Worked out at approx 55p a portion.

I dont do after work drinks nbut do fall sucker to thye few glasses at home after a shit day.

I also find, the closer my balance is to nil, the more reckless I get thinking sod it, the damage is already done.

cjt110 Mon 11-Dec-17 16:17:11

MrsPear I do this with the stocked items at home. Although I also end up with overunning cupboards. with odds and sods of stuff thats sat there for a while. I could gather and donate that stuff to a food bank providing it's in date?

VegasWithRadishes Mon 11-Dec-17 16:17:34

Do you mean £3.10? If you're nearing the end of the month and have £310 left I'd say you're doing ok...
if you want to save I'd recommend doing something like this.
Disposable income is say, £400 a month.
Set aside £200 per month for you to spend on shite, split into four cash envelopes. Say you get paid on a Monday, that becomes the day you open each envelope. £50 a week on crap.
The £200 that's left you can put aside for a rainy day/emergency/next Christmas or something.

peachypetite Mon 11-Dec-17 16:20:25

Go on money saving expert and see if theee are any good deals for switching bank account?

CrabappleCake Mon 11-Dec-17 16:20:35

Look at the motivator tool on money saving expert and also think do you need it before you buy it. A few weeks of not buying 'stuff' makes a huge difference. It's a mindset thing.

cjt110 Mon 11-Dec-17 16:21:02

No, sorry, I meant £10. Stupid typo.

I had 22.50 in the bank this morning. £10 spent on petrol. £12.50 to last til 22nd. I did want to try and eek it out til the actual paydate seeing as December is early this month but no chance.

My spend money is £200 a month. Out of that I usually pay for a second tank of petrol (£30) and thats probably about it. Everything else is paid before I get that money.

I skinted myself this month by having no savings for Christmas gifts. And being a daft git and buying lots of stuff Im sure DS will love.

ofudginghell Mon 11-Dec-17 16:22:22

Am feeling abit like this too op at the moment. hmm
After I pay my share into the joint household account and paid my personal credit card within a couple of weeks I'm literally looking at my balance thinking what the hell happened to it all confused
The last few months have been a financial drain on my personal spends as we did the bathroom up in October so extras had to come out and November and up to now we have had xmas to buy for so I know it's going to fly out but bloody hell i don't like it being so close to the wire for me.
All bills and petrol and food shop are covered but like you il see something and think my dc would like it what a bargain or I end up walking around the discount stores needing a lightbulb and toiletries and come out having spent £50 blushmainly on junk I don't need or want.
I think I'm going to go no spend January for everyone including tea out on the odd Friday for the kids which is £15 and that's after I've spent £10 for us to swim for half an hour I annoy myself so much.
They have no idea how costly these little extras are.
Went to Tesco yesterday to do a food shop and treated the dc to a nice festive hot choc in the cafe,which came to £10 so between Friday and Sunday spent £35 on literally one tea out and drinks.
That's where I go so wrong.
I convince myself that it's nice to be abled to have a treat now and then buts it's actually more and more often at the moment.
I'm January I plan on writing down every single thing g I buy.
Just remembered I also spent £5 today on a hot drink out.
Totally see where it's going now envy

cjt110 Mon 11-Dec-17 16:24:33

ofudginghell You are me. I went into Asda or similar supermarket thinking I need X and Y. Total cost of £2. Came out £10 lighter.

ARGGGGGGH

I'm also starting to slip into my none authorised overdraft which costs £5 per day for each day withdrawn. hmm

BlindAssassin1 Mon 11-Dec-17 16:24:45

Pay yourself first - that is put cash from your general account straight into your savings account, work out your bills, food, petrol etc, then you know what you've got left. Keep a tally off it all in a journal type book or app.

cjt110 Mon 11-Dec-17 16:27:39

I have a monzo account which is great as anything I do spend is instant. Like it registers within seconds from paying so I can keep track that way. I've just signed up to their current account and you can have "wallets" I suppose like the envelope idea. That will serve me well for savings and petrol etc.

For me it's more the need to buy... Its like it gives me something to smile about

ColonelJackONeil Mon 11-Dec-17 16:27:59

I think you need to stop thinking of your spare money as spending money. It's just a little psychological thing but if its spending money then you will spend it. Think of it as savings that you only dip into if you absolutely have to or for something really worthwhile. Maybe think of something to save up for?
Second thing is save for Christmas every month and try to spread out your present buying.

deepestdarkestperu Mon 11-Dec-17 16:29:04

Pay all your bills first.
Then put X amount into a savings account that you can't access unless you sit down and transfer the money over.
Take out Y in cash and that's your spends for the month. Once it's gone, it's gone.

I take far more notice of what I'm spending when it's physical cash I'm using. Card (especially contactless) is really bad for my bank balance!

cjt110 Mon 11-Dec-17 16:31:56

ColonelJackONeil Spot on. Spends are to be spent! I wodner if I could put £100 away, £30 for petrol, £20 for christmas and make £50 last a month?

deepestdarkestperu contactless is too painfree! I've tried the physical cash thing but then I forget to note down what its spent on so I'm in a similar position.

AdaColeman Mon 11-Dec-17 16:41:06

The first thing you should do is keep a record of absolutely every penny that you spend. Do that for two or three weeks, then look through it carefully to see where you could have saved, cut back, not spent at all.

Don't go to places where you know you will fritter away a few pounds.
If you go to TKMax in your lunch hour and always buy something, start going to the park or the library instead.

Have a moratorium on one aspect of your spending, such as not buying any magazines for a year.

At the start of the month, take out all your "spends" in cash, divide by the number of weeks in the month, seal it into separate envelopes. Be rigid with yourself in only spending one week's money at a time, when it's gone, it's gone! Don't open the next envelope until the allotted day.

Start to save, a penny on 1st January, tuppence on 2nd January...... keep going till next December.

cjt110 Mon 11-Dec-17 16:46:01

Good ideas Ada

I will start to make my meals myself to take to work. This will save me no end of money. I will go into the supermarket for a tin of soup say and come out having spent £5. I will avoid this by making and taking my own lunches. It wasnt a huge effort to make them this week so I shall carry on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now