Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why do some people not blow their nose???

(50 Posts)
PaxUniversalis Mon 11-Dec-17 14:23:19

Trivial question I know but why do some people not use a handkerchief and blow their nose instead of continuously snorting and sniffing? I had someone come round to my house today. The person (an adult) was snorting for about an hour. I know for a fact that this person isn't ill. Should I have offered them a tissue? I mean, as an adult, surely you would carry some paper hankies with you this time of year, or you can just ask people for a tissue or some kitchen paper. It's nothing to be ashamed about. My nose always starts running when I've been in the cold and then I go somewhere warm. I carry at least 2 packets of paper hankies in my bag, all year round, just in case.

eyeswideshit Mon 11-Dec-17 14:24:41

I wipe but I don't blow. Makes me gip.

JollyGiraffe Mon 11-Dec-17 14:26:50

Of course you should have offered them a tissue! How rude that you didn't.

They were in your house and you didn't bother, despite suffering the same problem as them when going from a cold to warm environment?

EssentialHummus Mon 11-Dec-17 14:27:30

I think it’s universally a tissue issue.

PaxUniversalis Mon 11-Dec-17 14:28:03

@eyeswideshit
I wipe but I don't blow.

Wiping is fine, blowing is fine. As long as it's not making these disgusting snorting noises.

QuestionableMouse Mon 11-Dec-17 14:28:25

Because it makes my nose bleed.

PaxUniversalis Mon 11-Dec-17 14:30:09

JollyGiraffe

Well some people may find it rude if offered. It's like saying 'shut up'. This person is familiar with my house and knows where the tissues and kitchen paper are kept.

glow1984 Mon 11-Dec-17 14:32:35

Should I have offered them a tissue?

Yes

I mean, as an adult, surely you would carry some paper hankies with you this time of year

Heaven forbid people not being 100% prepared 100% or the time

NSEA Mon 11-Dec-17 14:33:49

Who carries paper hankies at certain times of the year? Who is that organised. And why are people criticised for not being that organised?

I can’t blow - I don’t know how. Whenever I try it makes no difference. So I just wipe. Though I don’t sniff either as that’s gross

Frustrationqueen Mon 11-Dec-17 14:39:48

I avoid blowing my nose. Somehow it always seems to end up so much more blocked than before.
I am one of the annoying sniffers even though i wipe

LanaKanesLeftNippleTassle Mon 11-Dec-17 14:40:54

Just coming on to point out that someone continually sniffing and snorting and not blowing their nose may be on the coke.....

Just putting that out there...

LanaKanesLeftNippleTassle Mon 11-Dec-17 14:42:09

Although I don't carry tissues everywhere with me!

I'm far too disorganised to keep a pack of paper hankies on my person, I don't use handbags and everything I carry has to fit nicely in my jeans most of the time!

Frustrationqueen Mon 11-Dec-17 14:44:14

I am not on the coke btw. My reasons are that i cannot stand when my nose doesnt work perfectly.
If it has that stupid noise when you breathe in and out, or it feels slightly blocked.
Sniffing seems to sort this out a lot of the time.

PaxUniversalis Mon 11-Dec-17 14:53:43

Heaven forbid people not being 100% prepared 100% or the time.

Who carries paper hankies at certain times of the year? Who is that organised. And why are people criticised for not being that organised?

I'm far too disorganised to keep a pack of paper hankies on my person, I don't use handbags and everything I carry has to fit nicely in my jeans most of the time!

It must be me then. I always assumed a handkerchief, paper or cloth, is a basic item. I usually have 1 full packet of paper hankies + 1 packet I'm already using in my handbag. DH takes a fresh, clean, old fashioned cloth handkerchief to work with him. If he uses it during the day he chucks it into the laundry basket when he comes home from work, and takes another fresh handkerchief to work with him the next day. To us this is quite normal.

I think I'll put a box of Kleenex in my living room next time.

EssentialHummus Mon 11-Dec-17 15:59:24

I carry tissues around because I’m in psychotherapy 2x per week. Most people are liable to forget!

DotDashBeep Mon 11-Dec-17 16:19:36

Cloth hankies are vile. Carrying a bag of snot around in your pocket 🤢

PaxUniversalis Mon 11-Dec-17 16:27:35

DotDashBeep - ha ha, ha, yes I agree! But DH is quite old fashioned. He prefers the XL men's cotton handkerchiefs to paper hankies.

paxillin Mon 11-Dec-17 16:31:36

Snot noises are about as lovely as noisy eating.

catwoozle Mon 11-Dec-17 16:31:42

Sometimes I have colds/sinus infections where I'm bunged up and blowing my nose doesn't help, and I still sniff. The bunged up feeling is not because of mucus but because of swollen nasal passages. I certainly carry tissues, take medicine, tablets etc to minimise it but I'm afraid that sometimes you'll just have to put up with my sniffing. Or coughing.

Floellabumbags Mon 11-Dec-17 16:33:22

In Iceland it's rude to blow and you're expected to sniff.

PaxUniversalis Mon 11-Dec-17 16:35:42

paxillin - eating noises, lovely! grin

catwoozle Mon 11-Dec-17 16:35:56

Blowing your nose doesn't sound great either to be fair. I've had people be like hmm for blowing my nose on the train.

PaxUniversalis Mon 11-Dec-17 16:37:00

Floellabumbags - are you serious? What about wiping without making a sound?

melissasummerfield Mon 11-Dec-17 16:39:37

I absolutely cannot bear sniffers 🤢 ffs blow your nose!

Floellabumbags Mon 11-Dec-17 16:40:42

My Icelandic friend insists that you sniff it all up. It's erm unusual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now