Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What is the point of unsmoked bacon?

(52 Posts)
blueskyinmarch Mon 11-Dec-17 08:42:28

DH was asked to buy smoked bacon. In all of our 32 year marriage I have only ever bought smoked bacon. He came home with unsmoked.

What do I do with it? Doesn't it taste of just wet tasteless ham? This isn't even cheap bacon. It is from M&S ffs. Thankfully I see there is a pack of smoked bacon in the fridge so the soup I plan to make will taste lovely and smokey. But I don't know what to do with the unsmoked pack! Any suggestions?

TillyVonMilly Mon 11-Dec-17 08:45:56

Bacon and egg sandwich with HP sauce and no indigestion. ๐Ÿ˜„

Navegante Mon 11-Dec-17 08:46:15

Well I prefer unsmoked bacon. You could donate it to me so I can make a fry up, hunters chicken, bacon sandwich.......

LaGattaNera Mon 11-Dec-17 08:46:25

Unsmoked is lovely, I find smoked too salty and strong though I suspect it depends on the brand as some cheap unsmoked is still too salty and metallic.
What a terrible DH to do this to you grin

Silvercatowner Mon 11-Dec-17 08:47:20

Smoked bacon is rank. Why do you want food tasting of smoke??

SleepingInYourFlowerbed Mon 11-Dec-17 08:48:52

I only ever eat unsmoked

SoMuchToBits Mon 11-Dec-17 08:50:28

The point of unsmoked bacon is that it tastes lovely and unbesmirched by smoke. But I buy mine from the local butcher where it is not wet and tasteless.

blueskyinmarch Mon 11-Dec-17 08:51:20

I've never eaten it.

Jins Mon 11-Dec-17 08:52:17

I love unsmoked bacon and hate smoked. i thought unsmoked was the default position for bacon. Never had smoked in a breakfast cooked in a hotel or cafe

ColonelJackONeil Mon 11-Dec-17 08:52:55

I prefer unsmoked too, I don't really like that smoky flavour.

blueskyinmarch Mon 11-Dec-17 08:53:09

So best to make soup with the cheap smoked bacon and try the nice unsmoked stuff in a bacon sandwich?

blueskyinmarch Mon 11-Dec-17 08:54:31

Thing is I am always a bit underwhelmed by cafe/ hotel bacon. I think it is usually tasteless.

ColonelJackONeil Mon 11-Dec-17 08:56:46

Put a bit of blue cheese on it if you prefer strong flavours.

Ifailed Mon 11-Dec-17 08:56:58

most mass-produced 'smoked' bacon hasn't been anywhere near smoke, probably just soaked in a solution of pyroligneous acid. As I prefer my food as unadulterated as possible, I avoid supermarket 'smoked' bacon, however the stuff that has been properly cured and then actually smoked is worth buying from an independent supplier.

Jins Mon 11-Dec-17 08:57:01

I guess if you're used to smoked bacon you probably would find unsmoked tasteless. I like it because it tastes of bacon rather than smoke (or smoke favouring)

blueskyinmarch Mon 11-Dec-17 08:58:52

Blue cheese is my idea of a nightmare. Bleurgh.

blueskyinmarch Mon 11-Dec-17 09:01:58

So supermarket smoked bacon = scary?

This may be my chance to dip my little (piggy) toe in unsmoked bacon waters!

ImListening Mon 11-Dec-17 09:04:31

M&S unsmoked bacon is delicious.

Hate smoked bacon.

Ifailed Mon 11-Dec-17 09:04:42

I wouldn't say supermarket bacon is scary, but it will usually be produced from the cheapest pork and processed quickly. You can usually tell the cheap stuff by the amount of that white slimy stuff it produces when frying. Won't tell you what it reminds me of as you might be eating.

blueskyinmarch Mon 11-Dec-17 09:06:34

Tbh I usually use it to just make soup. Am tempted by a bacon sandwich now though

PurplePillowCase Mon 11-Dec-17 09:12:44

just try it. you might like it wink
you can always buy smoked next time if you prefer that.
I agree that smoke flavoured bacon is vile, whilst proper smoked bacon is nice (but a bit expensive for every day).

RainbowPastel Mon 11-Dec-17 09:17:57

Smoked is horrible we always have unsmoked. We don't like smoked or chargrilled food especially bbq's.

DollyMcDolly Mon 11-Dec-17 09:20:14

I hate smoked bacon. Unsmoked all the time for me

BuckysRoboticArm Mon 11-Dec-17 09:22:35

Yuck smoked bacon

A nice unsmoked bacon sandwich on Hovis soft white bread ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป Is a veryy goodd no?

blueskyinmarch Mon 11-Dec-17 09:26:37

I'm definitely going to try it. Do you think a lunch of lentil and bacon soup with a bacon sandwich is possibly too bacon-y? Not to mention a bit greedy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now