Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How much does your teen spend each day on school lunch?

(31 Posts)
Lelloteddy Sun 10-Dec-17 21:47:10

Having to juggle some monthly expenses at the minute and have just realised that we spend an average of £5 per day per teen. Varies from week to week depending on whether or not the dscs are here but the monthly total is eye watering. Is it reasonable to try and cut it back a bit, given that they can get decent sandwiches, soup etc or a hot meal fit under £3 and seem to spend the rest on drinks and desserts? They have a cooked meal every evening.

madeyemoodysmum Sun 10-Dec-17 21:49:25

My dd has a pack lunch and then gets £5 a fortnight to spend on treats.

I couldn't afford more.
She has a cooked meal at home in the evening.

Afreshturkeyplease Sun 10-Dec-17 21:50:53

Watching with intetest!

Titsywoo Sun 10-Dec-17 21:54:28

DD only usually does £3 a day. That's generally a pasta pot and raspberry lemonade at lunch. She can't be bothered to queue for food at breaktime as it takes all of her break so sometimes takes a oat bar if she remembers. £5 a day is a lot - easier to take a couple of snacks maybe?

IHaveAToiletBrush Sun 10-Dec-17 21:54:53

£5 per day also here. Just checked her online account it seems a hot meal is £2.30 and the rest is spent on cake £1-£1.50 and drinks £0.85-£1.50. It is a lot of money per month and I have thought about switching to pack lunch after Christmas.

bubblybum Sun 10-Dec-17 21:59:34

I have 3 teens and they each have £10 a week so it's up to them to budget.

However I'm thinking of cutting that in half and doing packed lunches.

dementedpixie Sun 10-Dec-17 22:03:04

Dd only spends about £2-£2.50 as she just has a main and a drink so no cake or biscuits. I top up her card about £10 per week

multivac Sun 10-Dec-17 22:04:46

Ours have a budget of 2.50 per day, four days a week; they get a packed lunch the other day. They could get a main dish, side order and dessert for that (although they're more likely to purchase plain pasta and a cupcake....)

Lelloteddy Sun 10-Dec-17 22:11:52

Seems like it would definitely be reasonable to cut back a bit. Packed lunches are a faff because there are so many of them but I may put my foot down about them taking snacks from home to reduce the amount of extras they buy.

whathaveiforgottentoday Sun 10-Dec-17 22:13:29

Dd has a budget of £3 per day which she pretty keeps too. Allows her to have a snack at break as well as decent lunch

BarbaraofSevillle Sun 10-Dec-17 22:13:35

You're right that their lunch costs are really expensive and what others spend is irrelevant. I'm a reasonably well paid working adult and £5 a day on lunch feels really extravagant to me.

Give them what you can afford and point them towards the packed lunch stuff you buy when food shopping. If they want more they'll have to get a paper round or Saturday job.

BackforGood Sun 10-Dec-17 22:16:52

I was giving dd2 £2.40 per day, but they've recently moved to thumbprint system, and they've also changed caterer. She can now get a main meal, pudding and a small drink for £2.20, so, result smile

However, surely they will have to budget / just buy the meal if you only either give them less cash or put less on their account ?

Mamabear14 Sun 10-Dec-17 22:16:53

Normally about £3 a day. Sometimes a bit more on pe days as he will get an extra drink and pop in the shop for sweets on the way home.

Chasingsquirrels Sun 10-Dec-17 22:17:09

They can take stuff from home.
15yo chooses not to (did in yr 7, then in yr 8 used to just eat his packed lunch when he got home so stopped taking it) and so eats when he gets home, usually instant noodles or a sandwich and a cake or biscuit.
11yo takes packed lunch and eats it at school.

They both have money on their account and can have the odd flapjack or cake.
Ds1 has had £30 on his account in 3 years.

helensburgh Sun 10-Dec-17 22:20:36

We do £10 a week and she can choose what to do.
She's sensible well.sort of and will.make sure she eats
This is the first year her year group are allowed out to find school to buy food so often it's a sausage rolls and fruit pot from Greg's. Drink amd snacks from home.

RavingRoo Sun 10-Dec-17 22:20:42

Do they spend all of it, or do they keep the change? Suggest making the lunch money part of their pocket money.

AlexanderHamilton Sun 10-Dec-17 22:20:53

Between £2-3.50. £2.35 gets a meal & drunk but he usually has pizza & a slush which is £3.20 b

Lelloteddy Sun 10-Dec-17 22:26:09

Thanks all. They are all ( fairly) sensible kids so not concerned about pulling back the budget per head. It’s my own fault for not being organised enough with pots of cash-usually end up nipping to the cash point on a Sunday night!
They all budget their pocket money themselves so this is just a matter of getting more organised with making them take snacks AND having cash pots organised!

multivac Sun 10-Dec-17 22:27:07

RR - they have a card, which I top up online, monthly. So, they have to manage the monthly budget. Any excess doesn't get rolled over, though, because I am mean...

halcyondays Sun 10-Dec-17 23:40:17

She's allowed to spend about £3 a day which seems to be plenty. She brings a water bottle and break from home. Couldn't hold out to spending £5 per child on lunches, as we have two, it would eventually be £10 which would be far too much.

Migraleve Sun 10-Dec-17 23:44:32

I give mine £3 per day. DD gets the £15 at the start of the week. DS gets £3 given each morning otherwise he would buy a sandwich and £13 worth of chocolate on a Monday shock

Sundance2741 Mon 11-Dec-17 07:19:46

Mine have / had cashless systems at their schools. Dd1 used to average £4 something a day. I thought it was too much so would buy supermarket versions of her favourite drink and send her with fruit snacks to try to cut it down. At one time found she was buying breakfast too having had it at home so banned that! She's now at college and gets £5 each day she goes in. She "has" to go to McDs a lot because her friends do!

Dd2 prefers to take a packed lunch and only uses the school system to buy a snack at break or top up her lunch. That's her choice though. Haven't worked out her daily spend recently but we rarely need to top up her account.

boopsy Mon 11-Dec-17 07:23:22

Ds has 3 50 a day aged 16.

FaintlyBaffled Mon 11-Dec-17 08:45:42

DS(13) gets £15 a week and when it's gone, it's gone.
He's welcome to take snacks from home but doesn't normally bother, so seems to exist on pasta and paninis hmm

YouCantCallMeBetty Mon 11-Dec-17 08:57:04

I put £60 a month in DS's account (school has fingerprint purchasing thing) and when it's gone, it's gone. He tends to spend big some days but then others will only spend a bit. Again like PP, he seems to exist mostly on pasta pots and paninis.
He has a big breakfast and takes snacks and a water bottle from home for break time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now