Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Exam tomorrow morning

(22 Posts)
shouldnthavesaid Sun 10-Dec-17 20:24:15

WIBU to stay up and revise all night? I don't think I know the subject well enough sad have been revising all day but nothing's sticking. Have now sat and read university appeals procedures, I've had slightly poor attendance due to ongoing disability/undiagnosed health crap and worried if I fail exam with poorer attendance they'll have me kicked out sad only my first semester of my first year sad

Lilly11a Sun 10-Dec-17 20:25:38

I wouldn't you will panic you don't know anything .

Try 90 mins max then another activity and the bed

Singleandproud Sun 10-Dec-17 20:27:46

You need to sleep to process everything you've done today, cramming an all-nighter wont help at all. Maybe wake an hour earlier and revise some more in the morning.

BringOnTheScience Sun 10-Dec-17 20:30:15

Lack of sleep will hinder you far more than anything gained by cramming all night.

Prep other bits like what you'll wear, pens, etc, then hot milky drink and a sensible bed time.

At another time, talk to your tutors about study techniques and find what works for you.

Good luck :-)

shouldnthavesaid Sun 10-Dec-17 20:32:18

I will do. I'm a mature student and have done a degree before but this is science based and has core competencies (will lead to NHS job) so struggling a bit. There are study classes to teach you. I'm on 60mg cocodamol every y hours so zonked a lot of the time. So worried. I only need 40% to pass and its all multiple choice, 20 questions.

Pythonesque Sun 10-Dec-17 20:32:48

Agree, you need to set a timelimit and make sure you get some good sleep too. Good luck.

PlopGoesTheWeasel Sun 10-Dec-17 20:41:53

Have a look on YouTube, there might be videos on your topic that could explain things in a better way. The YouTube channel "Crash Course" literally saved my degree.

MyBrilliantDisguise Sun 10-Dec-17 20:43:43

Realistically, they won't want to get rid of you because you're worth £9K pa to them. I had some very interesting talks with someone who worked at one of my local universities about what they do to make students stay. Just revise tonight, get some sleep, do your best tomorrow and cope with whatever happens. You won't be kicked off.

leghoul Sun 10-Dec-17 20:46:32

There's no way they'll kick you out inthe first year. Absolutely no way. Try to relax. Genuinely I have messed up so much more by not sleeping than by lack of preparation. Good luck.

shouldnthavesaid Sun 10-Dec-17 21:02:41

That's reassuring thank you smile have found some YT videos so will watch them tomorrow whilst getting ready, exam is at 10.30 so will get up at 6.30ish

MickeyLuv Sun 10-Dec-17 21:54:30

leghoul I work in a Uni and occasionally first years do get kicked out but not for failing one exam, even with poor attendance. Good luck!

Give it a go OP, you probably won't do half as badly as you think and even if the worst happens and you do fail the exam, you should get the opportunity for a re-sit.

MickeyLuv Sun 10-Dec-17 21:55:31

Sorry, that good luck should be at the end of the second paragraph, not the first! Not sure what happened there.

Moonflower12 Sun 10-Dec-17 23:55:28

Sleep with the book under the pillow- you’ll absorb info through osmosis!
(Obviously I jest hmm)

aaahhhBump Sun 10-Dec-17 23:59:44

What subject is it? Read through the core outline and then skim the points in your notes. The diagrams tend to be the higher mark questions.

shouldnthavesaid Mon 11-Dec-17 00:06:34

Psycholinguistics - word and sentence processing and mental lexicon retrieval.. quite dull stuff but necessary apparently. Thursday's is on anatomy and physiology which admittedly I'm even more concerned about.

My classmate texted me saying you only need 40% to pass so 8/20 tomorrow and 20/50 on Thursday.. hopefully that's doable. I've never felt so thick and its pushing my anxiety through the roof. Uni told me they had fixed specific exam arrangements for me too but that seems to have gone out the window and so I'm in big hall with no extra time or anything. An hour in total so like 3 minutes per question, and 1 minute per question on Thursday.

shouldnthavesaid Mon 11-Dec-17 01:58:03

Clearly not my night - flatmate has just been taken to hospital vomiting, severe headache, abdominal pain, delirious, fever etc. Have had halls first aiders up as she was poorly enough to be pacing up and down and forgetting where she was. Halls staff said probably something viral but have to get her checked out just in case something nasty so another flatmate has gone with her. She's from US so no idea how that works for healthcare. Presume she has insurance or something.

shouldnthavesaid Mon 11-Dec-17 02:06:37

That sounds a bit selfish . I should say shes my best friend here and planning to visit her in America one day, so quite worried about her.

Oddbutnotodd Mon 11-Dec-17 02:12:41

Try and get some sleep now if you can. Milky drink is a good idea. Sorry your night is being disturbed. Good luck!

aaahhhBump Mon 11-Dec-17 09:28:38

If your still looking for videos try boseman science or khan academy

Vitalogy Mon 11-Dec-17 09:35:12

Is it snowing where you are. My son was supposed to be doing an exam today but the school is shut due to the weather.

shouldnthavesaid Mon 11-Dec-17 11:00:33

No snow - too cold for it I think. Just very heavy frost/freezing fog. Snow at my mums though and meant to be travelling there on Saturday, so hopefully it clears a little bit!

Exam done now and think I have at least 8 out 20 right, I hope anyway. Back in bed. Whatever flatmate had I suspect I have.

Vitalogy Mon 11-Dec-17 13:11:30

Good luck with you exam results and hope you feel better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now