Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Daughter on way to a&e - handhold?

(185 Posts)
Smoochyschmoo Sun 10-Dec-17 14:22:25

I don’t know what to do with myself. 8yo, head injury 2 days ago, checked out at hosp, probable minor concussion and sent home. Fine all day yesterday.

This morning she won’t eat, won’t move as too dizzy and legs too sore, head sore on and off & running a fever. Called 111 who said A&E again.

On way out door with her dad when I thought I’d best check for rash again, she had one on her back which didn’t fade under glass. Asked her to chin to chest, crying as back of neck hurts.

I wanted to phone ambulance dh has said he’ll get her there quicker so they’ve gone.
Stuck at home with other dc (inc bf baby) with no way to reach him as no signal at hospital.

What the hell do i do now? Maybe I should just take other dc up and hunt for them, would that be mad??

Can’t think straight.

Wellfuckmeinbothears Sun 10-Dec-17 14:23:58

Oh gosh, don’t have any advice but hand hold and a hug here. Really hope all is ok flowers

mumonashoestring Sun 10-Dec-17 14:24:47

Phone reception/A&E and ask if they've arrived, they should be able to give you an update. Don't drag your other DC up there unless you have to, it could take a good while and a lot of tests before they know exactly what's wrong and what treatment she'll need.

FaithEverPresent Sun 10-Dec-17 14:24:56

I’ll hold your hand. Gosh how scary for you, especially when you’re stuck at home. I wouldn’t go. You may struggle to find them (if she arrived by ambulance they probably aren’t in the waiting room) and it could get chaotic. Stay at home, I’m sure he’ll phone as soon as he can. You could try ringing A&E to see if they can find out? I hope she’s okay.

TractorTedTed Sun 10-Dec-17 14:24:58

Oh no, poor you.
Why don't you get together some things you'd need - snacks, toys, nappies etc for dc.
Wait to hear from your dh what's happening, and then you could go straight there?

Or just go now, if you think. I think I'd want to, but it's not the most rational decision!

INeedNewShoes Sun 10-Dec-17 14:26:15

I wouldn't take your other DC up there especially the newborn. Given the rash they'll probably set up infection control.

I know it must feel awful but for now, until she's been triaged at least I'd sit tight. If they're going to keep her in you could think then about going up there. Has your baby ever taken expressed milk from a bottle?

3littlebadgers Sun 10-Dec-17 14:27:38

Here with another hand to hold. Hoping she is for and well in no time

Kelsoooo Sun 10-Dec-17 14:27:46

Hand hold....

Can you start making contingency plans for the other kids so you can get up there?

yawning801 Sun 10-Dec-17 14:28:35

Oh no, that sounds awful. Poor you, DD, and family. Hope she gets better soon. Hand hold.

Smoochyschmoo Sun 10-Dec-17 14:29:17

Thank you.

Dh took her up in car. I’ll call reception shortly see what’s happening. My heart is going crazy fast.

Yes he takes a bottle and I have 1 lot of expressed milk in freezer, but he feeds every 2 hours still so won’t buy much time if needed. If she ends up kept in I think it would have to be formula top ups if he’ll take it.

Here’s no phone reception there but I guess dh could phone using pay phone if they have them?

Valerrie Sun 10-Dec-17 14:30:12

Is there someone who can be with your other DC?

SparklingSnowfall Sun 10-Dec-17 14:30:57

Oh how scary and stressful, stay put for now until you have an update from your DH, hope she's better very soon

Quartz2208 Sun 10-Dec-17 14:31:43

I would call the hospital. Given the symptoms I would imagine it’s an iv antibiotics drip and she was there quickly

But yes when Ds had similar he was quarantined in his own room

GreenTulips Sun 10-Dec-17 14:33:42

Can you call a friend to take you up?

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Sun 10-Dec-17 14:34:26

I'd stay put until you hear from your dh pack a bag so your ready to leave if you need to hope she's ok

DancingLedge Sun 10-Dec-17 14:34:43

You've done what your daughter needed- medical attention asap.DH was right- speed better than ambulance. She's in the right place, and in expert hands.

This must be so worrying for you.flowers.

Is it best for you to go and join them?
How maneagable are other DC likely to be? Realistically, unless you have one quiet child, more than one + DH + you are unlikely to be allowed at her bedside in A&E. Is there anyone you could ask to look after them, so you could go alone?
Is there anyone who could go with you and DC to hospital ( assuming they won't look after DC at yours), so that they can mind DC for a few minutes while you and DH swop places for a bit?

It must be so hard to think what to do. Have a cup of tea, and get on phone to friends and family.

Thurlow Sun 10-Dec-17 14:36:25

How scary, you poor thing. I have everything crossed that it is nothing serious, but it's probably best to start making contingency plans for the other little ones just in case x

insancerre Sun 10-Dec-17 14:37:08

It's hard waiting for news but I am sure they will give you an update if you phone

PlugUgly1980 Sun 10-Dec-17 14:37:45

Pack an overnight back for DH and your daughter including spare clothes for both... been stuck in hospital covered in vomit with plenty of clothes for my daughter but no change for me has taught me that lesson! Also snacks and a water bottle for your DH as it not easy to leave them. Daughter's favourite toy, book, etc. Phone charger, washbag etc. Then if they do have to stay in you're sorted and not running around even more stressed trying to think what to gather in a hurry. Change for car park or vending machine. Any relatives who could mind baby for you? The waiting game is awful, but the hospital will let them call you if it's an emergency.

ItsNachoCheese Sun 10-Dec-17 14:40:10

Hand hold for you and your dd flowers

Blackteadrinker77 Sun 10-Dec-17 14:40:47

Can you express off some milk and get a relative to stay with the other children?
Sending you a hug xx

TealStar Sun 10-Dec-17 14:41:59

A big handhold Smoochy. I can’t imaging how worrying this must be for you flowers

Chapterandverse Sun 10-Dec-17 14:42:30

Do you have any family that could sit with dc?

Chapterandverse Sun 10-Dec-17 14:43:14

What general area are you? If I'm anywhere near I'm happy to help you.

SparklyMagpie Sun 10-Dec-17 14:44:02

Oh I hope she's ok OP! She's in the best place

Hope you can get hold of your TH soon though xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now