Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What everyday thing did you never learn?

(195 Posts)
bayseyan Sun 10-Dec-17 01:58:36

I am a NT adult, with a PhD in a STEM field.

I never learned (or at least never memorized) my times tables. Even now I need to use a calculator or count.

What regular things did you never learn?

Topseyt Sun 10-Dec-17 02:28:22

I never learned any maths beyond basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

As for times tables, I am OK with them now after years of use etc. but I need the practical and everyday application of something in order to get it into my head. Simply learning by rote never did it for me.

As for algebra and other stuff, forget it. I have never had a use for it, but to DH it is apparently an everyday thing.

GoulishGoblinPumpkinSnatcher Sun 10-Dec-17 02:48:25

I never learned that you could only get pregnant while ovulating! I thought you could get pregnant whenever you had sex! Makes me sick to think of all the morning after pills I've taken, probably done some kind of damage and it was all unnecessary. I only found out about 2 years ago and I'm 35 now! shockblush

sonlypuppyfat Sun 10-Dec-17 02:51:13

I think maths is like drawing, you can either do it or you cant

PastaOfMuppets Sun 10-Dec-17 03:04:24

English teacher with a PhD in literacy, and can't remember alphabetical order except by reciting the alphabet to remind me of letter order.

sashh Sun 10-Dec-17 03:20:46

I think maths is like drawing, you can either do it or you cant

They can both be taught.

toffee1000 Sun 10-Dec-17 03:22:16

They can be taught, but there has to be some raw talent there to begin with.

BitOfFun Sun 10-Dec-17 03:24:29

Perhaps talent is a factor in being truly exceptional, but mostly it is just a way of seeing/thinking, and you can learn how to do that.

TheDuchessofDukeStreet Sun 10-Dec-17 04:42:44

Long division.

Reppin Sun 10-Dec-17 04:48:52

Goulish All the morning after pills? You don't need to know when the optimum time to get pregnant is, to know to use contraception.
OP I also don't know my times tables, or how to do joined up writing. Or how to clean, but then I am glad my mum always had better things to do, just as I do now.

BarbaraofSevillle Sun 10-Dec-17 06:57:10

Tieing shoes laces correctly. I taught myself the double bow method aged about 3/4 and never learnt the standard way.

These days I generally avoid lace up shoes and wear boots with zips, slip on shoes or converse with stretchy rubber lace alternative things in them instead.

Olivecoloureddonkey Sun 10-Dec-17 07:00:33

How to make pancakes shock i am so bad at it! I can make most other things but not these!

3luckystars Sun 10-Dec-17 07:06:53

To swim!
It is haunting me now as I have to bring the children swimming every week and it makes me so so stressed. I was recently at the dentist getting some major work done and I thought to myself while getting my face drilled ‘this is heaven compared to that hour at the swimming pool’
Even their swimming instructor has offered to teach me to swim in the new year. I would love to do it but I’m terrified to even get in to the pool.

Regarding tables, I did learn them all but my mother took me out of school to go on holidays the week that we sid the 12 times tables and it always takes me way more time to multiply anything by 12! So in summary, it has held me back and affected my life.

But there is always time to learn. It’s called today.

AirandMungBeans Sun 10-Dec-17 07:36:03

I'm also rubbish at times tables. I've never been able to use one of those can openers that goes sideways. The ones that go on the top I can do, but the old metal ones I just can't get the hang of.

HappyEverIftar Sun 10-Dec-17 07:39:58

Not as cerebral as mathematics or grammar, but make-up and hairstyles blush. I know it can be taught via the medium of friends/YouTube etc, but I just can't get to grips with make up application and my arms ache if I faff with a hairbrush/pins/grips. Oh well! Not the end of the world.

Coloursthatweremyjoy Sun 10-Dec-17 07:48:57

Happy - me to! Numerous people have tried to teach me how to put on make up. I just can't get the hang of it. I'm 40 now and never wear any. I think that ship sailed. I don't like it much anyway.

Also, being practical...I'm just not. I mean things like being able to see what angle a table must be tilted at to go through a door.

Zaphodsotherhead Sun 10-Dec-17 07:56:05

I can't do anything with numbers. I've been taught and taught(sat maths o level four times in different places over the years). Just doesn't stick in my head. Can't draw either. Even four year olds laugh at my drawing.

NeverUseThisName Sun 10-Dec-17 07:56:18

I can swim, but I've never learned how to dive in. Which is weird, because I've taught people how to dive.

margaritasbythesea Sun 10-Dec-17 07:56:40

I never learned to do my hair either. I occasionally try but it ends up looking terrible.

I can´t ride a bike.

I never feel I know how to clean or iron properly, but I acutally think it is because I don´t care too much.

FairyPenguin Sun 10-Dec-17 07:57:30

How to put make-up on
How to walk in heels
How to fry an egg
How to ride a bike

Jeffjefftyjeff Sun 10-Dec-17 07:59:40

Which of my 2 light switches at the bottom of the stairs turns on the upstairs light. Always spend a couple of seconds flicking them both on/ off. I know it’s not really what you were getting at but definitely ‘everyday’ grin

Need2morehands Sun 10-Dec-17 07:59:43

I can't dive either! It really bugs me on holiday when you see everyone do a stylish dive into a beautiful pool and I either slide in from the side or bomb in with my son grin

LoniceraJaponica Sun 10-Dec-17 08:05:29

How to do that cheffy pan flick where you toss the contents to turn them over without spilling everything all over the cooker.

Regarding times tables. I had a good dose of revising them when DD was learning them at school. We would walk to school doing them every morning. Surely, if you have primary school aged children you would be testing them on their tables?

BertrandRussell Sun 10-Dec-17 08:08:12

I am old enough to be a grandmother and I am a excellent cook. Last week I cooked my first ever roast dinner.

Nakedavenger74 Sun 10-Dec-17 08:09:18

Long division
Any times table over 6
Apostrophes. Finally learned at age 39 when drunk in a bar in Borough Market's Roast restaurant (see what I did there?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now