Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

So, North Welsh/Midlanders.. Snowmageddon?

(287 Posts)
ClothEaredBint Sat 09-Dec-17 20:04:16

You all prepared for the snow tomorrow?

Wondering just how bad its going to get, all the local weather people have been giving it the 'don't travel unless necessary, pack shover/blanket/hot drinks/hot water bottle if you do go..

Sparklingbrook Sat 09-Dec-17 20:09:07

I am in Worcestershire. Apparently we will be having 'heavy snow' But we shall see.

welshweasel Sat 09-Dec-17 20:09:14

If had better bloody well be as bad as predicted. I’m stuck down working in south/mid wales and just sent DH and DS back home to the midlands rather than them staying until tomorrow as it’s meant To start snowing here at midnight and move north. If it turns out to be a mere sprinkling I’ll be fuming!!

specialsubject Sat 09-Dec-17 20:12:14

Given the state of the hospitals and the idiocy of the great british driver, take the hint and stay out of the way if at all possible. I've seen some seriously dickheaded driving today even round the village. Get the snow off ffs!

Popchyk Sat 09-Dec-17 20:24:15

I was born ready.

We've already got about 3 inches from Friday. Shropshire/Welsh borders here. We were out sledging in our garden today.

It started to melt and then will freeze again tonight, followed by heavy snow forecast all day tomorrow.

We are a bit remote so already have the cupboards full of food and supplies. We also have a generator inherited from the previous owners. We've moved one of the cars down to near the main road in case our track becomes impassable. We won't be driving anywhere until at least Tuesday though. And then only if it is safe obviously.

Millie2013 Sat 09-Dec-17 20:26:50

Worcs here, lots of snow lying, but currently "iced" in, as can't get cars to the main road...

retainertrainer Sat 09-Dec-17 20:27:21

We're Shropshire. As above, a good few inches of snow already. Thankfully neither of us have work to worry about until Tuesday. It's quite exciting!

Frith1975 Sat 09-Dec-17 20:27:30

Welsh Marches here and very high up so have 10cm from yesterday (though roads are clear).

Not expecting to be able to get out on Monday!

TroelsLovesSquinkies Sat 09-Dec-17 20:33:02

Nothing at our house but hail on Friday. (North Wales)
Ds is about a miles from us and had plenty of snow Friday, still there Saturday.
We are supposed to have snow from about 4am and through Sunday. We'll see.

abbsisspartacus Sat 09-Dec-17 20:37:00

Morrison's was rammed today apparently it's the end of the world hmm

Popchyk Sat 09-Dec-17 20:40:58

Imagine it actually was the end of the world, and you'd spent your last few remaining hours on this earth in Morrisons.

You'd be raging.

randomsabreuse Sat 09-Dec-17 20:42:18

Bridgnorth got pasted yesterday 6-8 inches in my garden so bizarrely more than other nearby places. Won't take much to cause major travel problems given the state of untreated routes!

saltnvinegartaytos Sat 09-Dec-17 20:42:25

If it's not like the snow in America last year I'm going to be disappointed. Now that was Snowmageddon.

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 09-Dec-17 20:43:20

In north Shropshire here. Had a couple of inches yesterday, a couple more overnight and am fervently hoping for a good few more inches tonight/tomorrow so I don't have to go to work on Monday. We're stocked up and the sledges are coming out tonight in readiness (we were about the only family in our town that didn't go sledging today as DS3(10) changed his mind and refused to go.

Midlands Storm Chasers is a good FB site to keep an eye on.

suze28 Sat 09-Dec-17 20:49:16

I'm close to Sparkling and we're on weather watch here for heavy snow from tonight. I hate the snow but am hoping for a snow day on Monday. I'm a teacher and am wondering if we'll close!

Sparklingbrook Sat 09-Dec-17 20:51:18

I have stuff to do tomorrow but Monday's good for me suze. Needs to be gone by Wednesday though. grin

Frith1975 Sat 09-Dec-17 21:05:34

I live v close to Random!

ClothEaredBint Sat 09-Dec-17 21:06:51

yep, shrops here too, already got 3/4 inches lying. Some of it melted today, but only off cars/roofs. The road is just an ice rink.

I'm not planning on going anywhere if its as bad as they say, threatening another 4/5 inches+ over the day!

randomsabreuse Sat 09-Dec-17 21:10:15

Bridgnorth is low which is why I'm surprised - in my ideal world snow on the Clees, Wrekin and Long Mynd and Caer Caradoc is great but anything at lower levels needs to be short lived and not block any of the roads giving access to those hills! As it is Bridgnorth and Telford (I think) got hit hard and Ludlow and Shrewsbury had less.

ClothEaredBint Sat 09-Dec-17 21:12:01

Newport barely got a flake!

suze28 Sat 09-Dec-17 21:12:44

Yes, Sparkling, I could do with being back to normal Tues tbh! Last time it was potentially this bad was Jan '10 and the DDs were at first school.

NoStraightEdges Sat 09-Dec-17 21:16:57

Birmingham here.

Completely ready. So ready it won't snow a damned flake. I have a snow shovel thing, de-icer salt, a huge food shop, a serviced boiler, sledges ready. I'm lieterally ready and waiting...

Cariadd Sat 09-Dec-17 21:18:31

North Wales here (Goggland). Has snowed on and off since Thursday night. Mountains are covered but not too much at lower levels. Supposed to be having loads tomorrow. We have stockpiled coal and have enough food for a week as we are very remote.

Sparklingbrook Sat 09-Dec-17 21:19:00

I remember 2010. We had loads, then it was about to clear and we got another load.

NoSquirrels Sat 09-Dec-17 21:21:29

Both event DC2 was supposed to be at, and work for DH have been cancelled tomorrow because of snow bit further north into Shropshire. None here yet apart from flurries but it’s definitely coming. Very pretty on the hills though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now