Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you miss your baby meeting Santa for the first time?

(26 Posts)
Peopleplease Fri 08-Dec-17 13:35:49

One Sunday a month DH takes our 2 DC to his parents for a few hours. This is my time (I generally go to bed!)

Anyway this Sunday is supposed to be my day. Turns out there a little Christmas festival on in the village where they live and they’ve bought tickets for the girls to meet Santa.

The thing is - this week we’ve all had really bad colds. I’ve been up multiple times with the baby (11 months) as her nose is all blocked up and she can’t settle. The 4 year old has a sick tummy and is awake multiple times too.

Today is my worst day I’m congested, hot, cold, dizzy and nauseous. I would love a few hours peace and quite - but Can I miss my baby meeting Santa?

This village doesn’t have a great record with things like this. St Patrick was the village alcoholic until he fell off the stage!

HermionesRightHook Fri 08-Dec-17 13:40:02

This really wouldn't bother me. I would be upset if they were going to actual Lapland but not random old dude with a fake beard in a village hall.

But it doesn't matter what I think - do you think you'll look back in this in 5 years time and go "oh I wish I'd gone" or will you have completely forgotten?

confused123456 Fri 08-Dec-17 13:44:18

Personally I would have been devastated if I missed my ds meeting Father Christmas (--sorry I hate the term Santa--) for the first time.
To me it's a special thing. Dh and I make sure we choose a time we can both take ds, we always will as long as we take him.

RuncibleSp00n Fri 08-Dec-17 13:46:25

How old is your baby? I’m sure he or she won’t even be that bothered by the whole experience and/or may just cry a bit and not understand it. It’s absolutely not something I’d mind missing if I were you. Certainly not when I could be tucked up in bed in the child-free peace and quiet!

CuppaSarah Fri 08-Dec-17 13:46:45

You're only missing your child screaming for fear of their life, because a hairy stranger is talking to them. Deffo not something you'll mind missing.

Zaphodsotherhead Fri 08-Dec-17 13:46:46

Your baby is 11 months old and poorly. I suspect that his meeting Father Christmas for the first time will consist mainly of staring at the weird dude and crying. I'd dip out this year and go next year, when he will be far more with it.

Iwannasnack Fri 08-Dec-17 13:46:56

Wouldn’t bother me. Without being rude it’s not as if she’ll understand what’s going on or remember it

ChardonnaysPrettySister Fri 08-Dec-17 13:48:24

I wouldn't take them if they are poorly.

You don't want to give Santa/FC a cold, surely?

letsdolunch321 Fri 08-Dec-17 13:48:47

I wouldn’t be too concerned, you can always do it next year. Get a few hours sleep instead - more beneficial to you.

LoverOfCake Fri 08-Dec-17 13:49:26

Nope, wouldn't bother me at eleven months.

Baby won't remember it anyway. Feel better soon.

Peopleplease Fri 08-Dec-17 13:49:35

DD2 is 11 months.

We hadn’t booked a Santa ‘experience’ at all this year as last year DD1 refused point blank to meet or even stand next to him. So we thought we’d just go to the free one in the local shopping centre.

Peopleplease Fri 08-Dec-17 13:50:52

TBF - we were at DisneyWorld when baby was 9 months and she loved the characters. Think she thought they were giant teddies mostly though.

Bubbinsmakesthree Fri 08-Dec-17 13:52:19

Wouldn't bother me at all! Enjoy your sleep!

RuncibleSp00n Fri 08-Dec-17 13:53:56

FWIW I think too much emphasis/pressure is put on parents now to ‘make memories’ and add huge levels of gravitas and perfectionism to ever-more family celebration rituals (Halloween parties, elf-on-shelf, Easter hunts, expensive ticketed bonfire night ‘extravaganzas’, babies’ ‘firsts’ experiences etc etc. My theory is that it this is a trend grown-out of social media and plays on parents’ desire to give their kids the most perfect memories & experiences of everything.

motmot Fri 08-Dec-17 14:12:06

I agree with runciblesp00n and I have s friend like this. She's always trying to make her children's lives 'magical', which is lovely, but childhood is magical all by itself without elves on shelves, secret playhouses, elaborate play days, trips out etc. She seems a bit stressed with it sometimes and if they have a day at home due to illness etc she compensates the next day with glitter and activities galore...

Op I would give my right arm for time in bed without children! Enjoy your sleep, Christmas will come round again.

GreatDuckCookery Fri 08-Dec-17 14:16:29

Wouldn’t bother me
It won’t bother your baby either. Stay at home and rest.

allegretto Fri 08-Dec-17 14:20:09

Wouldnt bother me at all but none of mine have met FC!

Maudlinmaud Fri 08-Dec-17 14:21:28

A photograph of this occasion would suffice op. All of my dc where petrified of father Christmas, they look like red blotchy spuds in the pics. I'm looking forward to showing them to future boyfriends.
Get well soon flowers

ineedwine99 Fri 08-Dec-17 14:27:32

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest, from what ive heard a lot of kids cry anyway.
Hope you all feel better soon

ZigZagandDustin Fri 08-Dec-17 14:28:58

I would happily miss my baby meeting Santa for the first time. Especially if unwell. Maybe even just to relax in the quiet with a cuppa.

LoverOfCake Fri 08-Dec-17 14:33:37

I can't even remember when where or how my baby met Santa for the first time. blush blush <disclaimer he's fifteen now>. I'm not sure I was there though. Think either my mum took him or it was at nursery. grin but I couldn't say for certain. [grin.

On reflection I think it may have been at preschool because eXH was away for work and made reference to the fact that at least he hadn't seemed upset by FC. But who knows.....

But the point I think I'm making here is that although we do remember this stuff when they're tiny, in reality I think that much of it does escape our conscious memory as they grow up and so many other things take over.

RNBrie Fri 08-Dec-17 14:40:00

This would not even cross my mind as an issue. Your baby is a baby and won't care. Father Christmas isn't real. Its a dude in a suit. And I get the magic of it all etc but that's for the children... Get them to take a nice photo and have a good rest.

formerbabe Fri 08-Dec-17 14:52:08

Personally I would have been devastated if I missed my ds meeting Father Christmas

hmm

Peopleplease Fri 08-Dec-17 15:00:50

Right - I’ve decided to stay home. 11 month old won’t stop screaming at me!

insancerre Fri 08-Dec-17 15:04:05

My two are 21 and 28 and I can't remember their first time meeting Santa

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now