Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Conversation regret

(26 Posts)
ShuttyTown Thu 07-Dec-17 12:39:21

Does anyone else get this?

Where you chat to someone, then afterwards go over the conversation in your head and think 'why did I say that'. Not necessarily anything bad but something you just want to go back and say differently!

I do it all the time, I'm a bit of a chatterbox so when I see people in the street I know from my local town I'll chat and then think goodness why did I say that I feel stupid now, or worry they've taken what I said the wrong way or will think bad of me etc!

I've just been talking on the phone to a lady who I've known for years from where I used to work and she is going to be my boss in my new job in the New Year, I rambled on giving stupid details in the conversation that weren't necessary and then I went on to say that the girl who was dealing with my Recruitment was rubbish because she'd been so slow sorting my paperwork etc!!

I'm now sitting like shock thinking I need my mouth taping shut.

I may just stop talking to people full stop!

Hauntedlobster Thu 07-Dec-17 12:40:49

I’m like that, it’s a form of anxiety a lot of the time. I now reassure myself we all say daft things and they’ll not remember!

scortja Thu 07-Dec-17 12:41:12

Yes - but at least you keep talking - I think that's the best way!

I say something ludicrous, realise, then don't say anything else - leading people to assume/realise I'm a BIG WEIRDO

ShuttyTown Thu 07-Dec-17 12:43:39

@Hauntedlobster yes I'm sure it's a social anxiety thing, I just don't know when to shut up and always try and be funny but end up thinking goodness that was insulting/harsh/inappropriate etc. shock

HermionesRightHook Thu 07-Dec-17 12:44:23

Yes. I ruminate so much that I've had to have therapy over it.

formerbabe Thu 07-Dec-17 12:44:47

All the time!

I try to console myself with the thought that most people have so much going on in their own lives, they are probably not spending their time analysing every single thing I said!

ShuttyTown Thu 07-Dec-17 12:45:02

@scortja I'm not sure which is worse then go silent like you do or continuing to ramble on and say more stupid things! blush

Hauntedlobster Thu 07-Dec-17 12:46:19

www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/shynesssocialphobia.aspThese are really good:

ShuttyTown Thu 07-Dec-17 12:47:23

@formerbabe I try to tell myself that but I can't help going over it and being embarrassed.

Sometimes I've gone back to whoever I was talking to or messaged them and tried to explain what I meant that I wasn't being insulting/stupid etc and 9 times out of 10 they haven't even noticed that I'd said anything bad so it's probably right that people aren't thinking like I am. Doesn't stop me worrying though sad

ShuttyTown Thu 07-Dec-17 12:47:43

@HermionesRightHook did the therapy help?

ShuttyTown Thu 07-Dec-17 12:48:10

@Hauntedlobster the link doesn't work..?

HermionesRightHook Thu 07-Dec-17 12:49:49

...Yes. On balance. It was affecting my life very badly and I still have anxiety issues but on the whole I'm mentally healthier now. I still do it a bit but I'm not crippled by it any more.

Hauntedlobster Thu 07-Dec-17 12:50:38

www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/shynesssocialphobia.asp

ShuttyTown Thu 07-Dec-17 12:52:29

@Hauntedlobster thank you going to have a read of that now

Whereland Thu 07-Dec-17 12:53:29

I'd try to stop messaging people afterwards too, I have a friend who does this all the time, and it's usually in relation to the most mundane innocuous comment she has made.. I never notice the comment but cringe when she texts and I have to reassure her that she hasn't offended me- I really don't offend easily!

ShuttyTown Thu 07-Dec-17 12:55:38

@Whereland I've only done it a few times and just to family, luckily they know what I'm like grin

Heartofglass12345 Thu 07-Dec-17 13:05:58

Oh my god this is me, i feel like such a dick sometimes. I remember someone in work telling me i looked nice once and i was like 'no i dont i look ridiculous' or something along those lines. About half an hour later it dawned on me how rude i sounded and i looked for her to apologise but she had gone home, i felt bad about it for weeks afterwards!

ShuttyTown Thu 07-Dec-17 13:08:30

@Heartofglass12345 that's exactly something like I would say! Why do we do this confused

Openup41 Thu 07-Dec-17 13:13:48

I do this. I suffer with anxiety and overthink everything. I think back to conversations I had many years back (I am talking decades ago) and wish I had the guts to speak up. As a teen/early twenties I was a complete walkover and froze and looked awkward whenever someone was openly rude to me - including so called friends.

I hate that I am extremely slow with comebacks. I never say what I should and people took the absolute piss because of it. My anxiety stems from this period in my life. I am conscious of what others think. I feel very much misunderstood and spend too much time explaining myself.

Jaxhog Thu 07-Dec-17 13:14:51

Not just me then!

PolkaDottyRose Thu 07-Dec-17 13:16:15

I do it all the time. Still beating my self up about stuff I said years ago.

Openup41 Thu 07-Dec-17 13:16:47

heartofglass I say stupid things because I am often nervous. I have said happy birthday to someone when I meant goodbye!

I do not know how I function in society and hold down a management role. I play the part well.

EddieHitler Thu 07-Dec-17 13:17:24

I do the same. I'm still going over an innocent conversation I had on Tuesday! It's a pain, isn't it.

I also do the "No, I don't, I look hideous", thing when someone says I look nice, although I am trying "Thank you", at the moment, which seems to be taken much better. grin

JaneyGotAGun Thu 07-Dec-17 13:18:12

I do this too.
It's definitely a form of anxiety, like pp said I keep having to reassure myself that the person I was speaking to wouldn't have even noticed but I torment myself going over old conversations I've had with people

KindergartenKop Thu 07-Dec-17 13:34:47

I think my boss does this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now