Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can I get away with NOT wearing make up at nearly 50 years old?

(56 Posts)
PaxUniversalis Thu 07-Dec-17 12:08:49

So I'll be 50 soon. I never used to wear a lot of make up and now I don't wear make up at all except when I go to parties or special occasions.
I used to wear some make up (the basics only) when I worked in offices in London but we don't live there anymore and when we moved away and I started working here I noticed none of my colleagues wore make up at work (office) so I didn't either. Now I work from home and I don't wear make up at all.

I have good skin - it runs in the family - and I go for regular facials.

Can I get still away with this? I notice how tired I look sometimes. The skin below my eyes is puffy in the morning and my eye lids are getting a bit droopy too.

cakeymccakington Thu 07-Dec-17 12:09:56

You can wear or not wear whatever the heck you like

tinytemper66 Thu 07-Dec-17 12:11:05

I am over 50 and only put oil of Olay on my face after washing. Then some eyeliner, mascara and lipstick.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 07-Dec-17 12:11:08

There is nothing to 'get away with'.
Wear makeup / don't wear makeup - it's entirely your choice.

People may pass judgements on you, but they could do this for any aspect of you or your choices - accent, car colour, whether you wear trousers...

LovingLola Thu 07-Dec-17 12:11:11

What rule is there to say that a woman (of any age) has to wear make up?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Thu 07-Dec-17 12:11:30

Of course you can! Make up isn't a requirement.

However, I can suggest aloe vera gel (fresh off the plant or from Holland & Barrett) for a feeling of puffiness or droopiness. It feels like a mini face lift every day and is noticeably effective immediately!

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Thu 07-Dec-17 12:11:36

I'm 44 & lost interest in makeup somewhere in my late teens. Of course you can.

specialsubject Thu 07-Dec-17 12:11:42

I have done for years and nobody has run away screaming. And no man would worry about this. Anyone who did comment can be ignored as a waste of oxygen.

Makeup doesn't remove years ( too much will add them) and if applied properly is invisible so what's the point? You are ageing due to time and gravity. Slap won't fix those.

steppemum Thu 07-Dec-17 12:14:42

I never wear make-up. I'm sure I do look tired etc, but I'm not bohtered. Can't stand the feel of make-up on my face

GladAllOver Thu 07-Dec-17 12:16:55

Makeup is entirely optional at any age.

And too much is worse than none.

deepestdarkestperu Thu 07-Dec-17 12:18:54

Eh? Why would you have to wear make-up at any age?

PaxUniversalis Thu 07-Dec-17 12:21:29

Thanks for your comments everyone. I sometimes think to myself 'how much longer am I going to be able to get away with the 'natural look'? A 25-year old can get away with this .... I can't believe I'll be 50 soon, oh boy!
I actually do like the look of make up (not too much) but I sometimes can't be bothered.

We went out to dinner with friends the other night and I had put make up on and one of our friends commented how nice I looked with some lipstick on.
DH likes the 'natural' look on women but he did say I looked nice. I had my hair done as well.

PuppyMonkey Thu 07-Dec-17 12:22:00

I'm like you, I work from home - although I'm 51. I have nose rosacea so wear some special foundation on my nose as it gets on my nerve seeing my bright red nose glowing out the inner corners of my eyes, grin but TBH I don't bother with anything else now. Bit of lippy on the school run sometimes.

Zoesweet Thu 07-Dec-17 12:22:03

I think we carry ourselves the best way possible with the character that we have and that's what matters most be us being young or otherwise. Makeups can only do so much but character lasts.

llangennith Thu 07-Dec-17 12:22:27

I haven’t worn make up since I was in my 40s. 65 now and undoubtedly look my age but I look after my skin and wear lipstick sometimes and full make up once or twice a year on special occasions. I really can’t be bothered!

tectonicplates Thu 07-Dec-17 12:22:36

I work in offices in London and I don't wear any makeup at all, and yes, I work I customer-facing positions. Anyone who has a problem with that can quite frankly piss off, although I have never knowingly received a complaint about it.

PaxUniversalis Thu 07-Dec-17 12:26:14

What I like least about myself is my puffy eyes in the morning and I also have dark circles under my eyes. This runs in Mum's family. My grandad had it and my Mum and so do my uncles.
Personally I find this unattractive.
But I inherited good skin from Dad's side of the family so I guess it balances out smile

PuppyMonkey Thu 07-Dec-17 12:34:16

If it bothers you, there is no shame in getting a bit of concealer for your dark circles. Do what you want - that's the message.

noeffingidea Thu 07-Dec-17 13:18:45

You don't need permission to 'not wear make up'. Men (well, most men) never wear make up, and no one ever tells them they look tired, or they can get away without it. Being make up free is accepted as the default for men, so why on earth can't it be the default for women?
Just for the record, I'm 57 and I haven't worn make up for years. I don't do anything 'beautifying' now. I'm clean and tidy and the only thing I do that men don't do is shave my legs and armpits, and thats only because I go swimming. I feel fine and am happy with what I see in the mirror.

JacquelineChan Thu 07-Dec-17 13:23:48

my mum has never worn make up . my mil is the same age and never leaves the house without a full face of make up.

they both look the same to me ! i never notice who's wearing it or not .

not sure if that helps sorry

lurkingfromhome Thu 07-Dec-17 13:26:49

I wear a full face of make up every day but that's my choice, and I have no opinion at all about women who wear none, or a bit, or loads. One of the joys of living in a western country is that we can do exactly as we please in that regard so you don't have to justify your choice to anyone.

PaxUniversalis Thu 07-Dec-17 13:32:17

Sometimes when I see young women with their make up on nicely done I think to myself 'I'm such a frump, come on, make an effort.'
In the '80s when I was in my teens getting ready for a night out I took ages in front of the mirror. I guess we all wanted to look older when we were that age. Not anymore.
I'd quite like to try make up on again, only there's such a vast choice of new products these days, I wouldn't know where to start. I own one lipstick. One! Classic red.

deptfordgirl Thu 07-Dec-17 13:35:47

Of course you can. Why should women 'have' to wear makeup to be presentable and men don't? It's as if women aren't good enough as they are. I'm in my 30s and wear less makeup now then I used to. When I was in my teens and early 20s I literally put on makeup to go to the supermarket as felt I couldn't possibly be seen without it. I'm so much more confident now I dont care who sees me without it. I do wear it still as love applying it and being creative but never feel I have to.

Farawayfromhere Thu 07-Dec-17 13:36:06

If you don't want to wear it don't wear it. But I do think most women look older without makeup.
It depends on whether you care. I like to wear make up and feel so much nicer about myself when I do. I don't wear loads, just moisturiser, a bit of light powder, some touché eclat around eyes and some mascara. But completely up to you, it's your face!

SavageBeauty73 Thu 07-Dec-17 13:39:00

It's totally up to you.

I look better with make up so I wear it. Couldn't give a toss what anyone thinks though..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now