Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Weaning off bottles and formula - where to start?!

(14 Posts)
totsalot Thu 07-Dec-17 10:24:46

My DD has recently turned one and we're ready to get her off formula and onto soya milk (she has CMPA). I tried her cold turkey this morning with soya in her bottle and it went down like a lead balloon, understandably. Has anyone ever swapped baby milk an ounce at a time? How long did it take your DC to adjust?

Also should I be swapping the milk first, or swapping out the bottle first? She'll drink water from a free flow spout or from a doing cup (if I hold it for her otherwise she soaks herself and the house without drinking any) but when I've tried her formula in either she flat out refuses it.

I'd really appreciate your tips! I feel absolutely clueless about parenting a toddler!

Redsippycup Thu 07-Dec-17 10:26:51

Can't help I'm afraid, but would also like some tips if you don't mind me watching? Also, bump smile

Chaosofcalm Thu 07-Dec-17 10:28:39

How much milk does she still have. We moved to straight soya from lactose free milk at 11 1/2 months but she was not having much milk during the day and was less more accepting during the nursery night.

We kept bottles for a while because we were going on holiday and I wanted to keep her hydrated.

Remember she needs 350mg of calcium a day but that can be from yoghurts and cheese too.

Don’t forget to give vitamins.

wowbutter Thu 07-Dec-17 10:30:50

We started with no bottles in the day. Cold turkey. Water or milk were given in a cup and I didn't fuss if it wasn't drunk.

Then the morning one was replaced with a sippy cup of milk.
Then bedtime was replaced with a sippy cup of milk.
I had the attitude of drink it or don't. I knew there were enough calories, fats p, vitamins going in during the day so the formula was unnecessary.

RaidTheCupboards Thu 07-Dec-17 10:37:59

Start with using a bottle on just the morning and night then using a sippy cup for all other drinks.

To switch to milk. Say your baby has 7oz formula start by doing 6oz formula then 1oz milk in it. Slowly over one week change the ratio, ie 2oz milk 5oz formula, 3oz milk 4 oz formula.
Won’t take long when you sneakily do it like that.
I then changed the morning to sippy cup but I kept the night time bottle for a bit longer as it helped each baby sleep and be in a bed time routine (bottle = bed time)

totsalot Thu 07-Dec-17 10:40:52

Thanks! Like the idea of switching the morning one first, she still has it before her breakfast should in be offering breakfast and milk at the same time now?

She's a bit of a milk refuser and has put herself on one 8oz bottle in the morning and one 8oz at night for a couple of months now.

ShovingLeopard Thu 07-Dec-17 10:42:20

Are you sure she's ok with soya? Most babies with CMPA are advised to avoid soya, as if they have CMPA/I they are also highly likely to react to soya. Is she under an allergy clinic?

Waterdropsdown Thu 07-Dec-17 10:44:46

I’m trying to do this as well at the moment.

Do other kids drink a decent amount from sippy cup? Both mine will have a whole bottle (7oz) from a bottle but maybe if I’m lucky 1oz from a cup. Therefore they still have 2 bottles a day (13 months).

totsalot Thu 07-Dec-17 11:14:04

Hi leopard she's under the allergy team and we have been trialling her with soya for the last few months without issue yet thankfully. She was horrendous with it at six months when we started weaning so I'm glad we've got over that hurdle!

fluffonthesideboard Thu 07-Dec-17 11:18:45

Soya milk isnt recomended for children under 2 as its not nutrious enough. generally babies with cmpa cant have soya anyway. Can u just stay on the formula until shes 2? Im sure ive heard u can get vouchers if ur stuggling with the cost.

Chaosofcalm Thu 07-Dec-17 20:19:23

fluffonthesideboard do you have any reasearch or links to the soya milk not been suitable for under 2s! My DD’s dietitian recommendation it.

welshweasel Thu 07-Dec-17 20:24:01

I just took away the bottles of formula and replaced with a sippy cup of cows milk one day soon after he turned one. He protested a bit but within 3 days it was like nothing had changed.

Chaosofcalm Thu 07-Dec-17 20:38:43

I would say at 12 months she is still on quiet a bit of milk at 16oz. I would just start offering soya milk in a cup at breakfast time, she will have less but you can make up the
calcium in other ways.

If she has bottle before bed and it is part of her routine I would leave that for a while but eventually you should wean her off that.

totsalot Thu 07-Dec-17 20:47:16

Our dietician recommended the alpro growing up milk which is formulated for ages 1-3, but she is able to have her milk on prescription until she's two if needed. First bottle with one ounce of soya milk snuck into it went down with nothing more than a few sceptical glances!

Can I ask what cups you use for their milk before I order a tonne from Amazon? None of ours seem like they would hold much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now