Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Give me your mansplaining experiences

(221 Posts)
Pagwatch Wed 06-Dec-17 19:38:55

I'm asking after a man told me all about champagne for half an hour after I had given him details of the wine tasting event I've organised

Pagwatch Wed 06-Dec-17 19:40:19

(If someone comes on to explain about mansplaining I get a prize)

QuietNinjaTardis Wed 06-Dec-17 19:44:37

Ha I'd mansplain mansplaining but as a woman I'd fail miserably and then a man would to come along and explain it me.
Haven't got any specific examples but my Fh will start mansplaining and then ask me if he just mansplained. I give him this face fhmmfangry

Pagwatch Wed 06-Dec-17 19:47:52

grin

Albedo Wed 06-Dec-17 19:49:49

I actually had a date explain mansplaining to me once. He got halfway through and realised what he was doing grin

I used to work as a web editor for a non-digital team. So they'd create content, I'd publish it on the website. One of the writers once spent 45 minutes explaining, incorrectly, how I'd publish a webpage. I'd worked there a year at the time.

Interestingly, now I'm in a very male dominated and technical role I never come across mansplaining at work. I've always thought it's because my colleagues don't have anything to prove.

Albedo Wed 06-Dec-17 19:51:29

When I do come across mansplaining now I give them a look and say "given [relevant experience], do you think that explanation is necessary?"

ScreamingValenta Wed 06-Dec-17 19:53:29

My DH does it about music. He always assumes I have never heard of bands formed before the 1980s.

'There was a group called The Incredible String Band ...' - yes, I know, thanks, I've got six of their albums.

'There was a group called the UK Subs ...' - yep, saw them on tour in the 90s, thanks.

I call it 'bandsplaining' when I get fed up of telling him he's mansplaining.

Mercedes519 Wed 06-Dec-17 19:53:38

How abut Stormzy in that little mix song

“You can be a woman and a boss and wear the trousers at the same time“

Every time I hear that I think “well thanks for that Stormzy” hmm

specialsubject Wed 06-Dec-17 19:56:15

albedo has it right. Avoid dickheads of either sex and it doesn't happen.

MulhuddartDrive Wed 06-Dec-17 19:56:46

I had a man who worked for a different company explain my project for me, as I was already explaining it to the group. I just kept talking and he eventually shut up, very huffy and offended.

MsAwesomeDragon Wed 06-Dec-17 19:59:10

We had a new young nqt a few years ago who would regale us all with how he'd just taught an amazing lesson. Further questioning (saying "oh, really?" In a very distracted way apparently counts as further questioning) would result in an in depth desorption of his fantastic way of explaining something in the way all teachers have explained that concept for centuries (like the incredibly "when I'm writing algebra I always use a curly X so they don't confuse it with a times sign"). The women he regaled with these tales all had at least 6 years maths teaching experience. The men in the department never got these mansplaining episodes.

OnTheRise Wed 06-Dec-17 20:01:15

A couple of years ago a Facebook friend mansplained to me a grammar issue (he was a hairdresser, I am an editor, he was wrong). The another male friend sent me a private message on FB to explain to me that the other bloke was mansplaining to me, and also to explain the grammar issue to me, and he was also wrong. But in a different way.

It was boggling.

DandelionAndBedrock Wed 06-Dec-17 20:01:36

We had a charming plumber visit our student house because my room didn't heat up at all, and other rooms weren't very warm. He looked at my radiator, tinkered around a bit, then asked if my (male) flat mate could come in. I assumed he needed help removing the radiator or something, so fetched him.

Nope. He wanted to explain that my radiator was the last in the circuit and the hot water pressure wasn't enough to reach my room. Apparently I needed a man there to hear this.

Bearwithverylittlebrain Wed 06-Dec-17 20:03:53

Last Christmas my DP attempted to explain the correct way to cook the turkey.... he is not entirely sure where the oven is, let alone how it turns on. He can just about work the microwave to reheat all the ready meals I cook for him so he doesn't starve when I'm working 😂

Pagwatch Wed 06-Dec-17 20:08:00

Lol at bandsplaining

PavlovaPlease Wed 06-Dec-17 20:08:41

As I was refuelling my car, a man at the next pump started telling me all about the differences between diesel and city diesel. I have zero idea why but must have looked in need of such an insight.

messofajess Wed 06-Dec-17 20:09:42

I'm a competent woodworker. I mainly sell small things now but have in the past made and sold many items of expensive furniture. A couple of months ago DH tried to explain how to saw to me hmm He works in IT.

reallyanotherone Wed 06-Dec-17 20:10:38

I was on the phone to my electricity company about something. The bloke mansplained that electricity was now all supplied by different companies in a really, really patronising “now listen little woman, to men who know these things kind of way. -not just by British gas, and without bothering to listen to my actual question (which was not about supplier in any way shape or form) transferred my call to somewhere that was not an electricity company at all, so they could explain it to me.

Pissed me right off as obviously they couldn’t help me as they only dealt with supply switching, and i had to hang up and recall my electricity company.

I have a fucking phd and work for an electricity compant!

Pagwatch Wed 06-Dec-17 20:11:18

That's brilliant OnTheRise Mansplaining mansplaining is a whole new level .

I always love the people who want to pretend mansplaining can happen to either sex. It's a particularly determined 'but what about the menz'

Pagwatch Wed 06-Dec-17 20:13:23

My dad spent half an hour explaining to me how yo ask for a bank loan when i spent my working week advising banks in a professional capacity

Doublemint Wed 06-Dec-17 20:13:37

Doing a presentation at work about a specific area of my field. Did some group exercises and q&a. The audience (about 12-15 professionals) were really responding well and were engaged/nodding and generally joining in with the subject.

I finished with a diagram and explained it clearly and succinctly, linking it back to the central topic, to give it good context.

A co-worker, male, same level as me and same general but not specific area of expertise jumped up, came to the front of the room, said "hope you don't mind if I just, you know, show them a different diagram?"

He then proceeded to get a marker pen and the giant flip chart paper thing and draw his own diagram (which was actually related to earlier, less specific research than mine- which was shit hot academically).

He then basically repeated the end of my presentation to my colleagues as I stood their like shock.

I did manage a nice PA "well thank you so much for explaining that, so clearly. No way could I have done that!"

Twat.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 06-Dec-17 20:15:10

My DH has become very interested in cooking since he retired.
And thankfully not fancy once in a blue moon cooking, but everyday decide what to eat and buy the ingredients cooking.

He now thinks he's bloody Michel Roux and tells me the correct way to cook stuff.

I am Cordon Bleu trained...

gaggiagirl Wed 06-Dec-17 20:16:46

I was reversing out of an enormous space, in an enormous, practically empty car park.
Walking man motioned me to lower my window... I did... He said...

'you've got plenty room pet, just keep going back another few yards then if you steer full lock to the left you'll be able to drive out'

Thank goodness for his mansplaining. My driving license doesn't allow me to manoeuvre without a penis present.

NameChangedAndForgotOldName Wed 06-Dec-17 20:18:10

A man who had been to 1 gym induction mansplained weight training to me.
A qualified PT and weightlifter envy

PeanutButterIsEverything Wed 06-Dec-17 20:28:02

I think my favourite example of this was on here recently. Someone was recommended some reading by her dad and it turned out she had actually written the article he was telling her to read!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now