Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Stoke on Trent - creative? up and coming?

(32 Posts)
waterrat Wed 06-Dec-17 14:11:56

Hello - my husband has been offered a job in Stoke on Trent starting quite soon - we have two kids, 7 and 2 and currently live just outside London and both commute in. So this would be a big change!

I am an artist and could work anywhere - I have read that Stoke has a growing art scene/ lots of new creative developments and industries - I've been to stoke and thought it was pretty ugly so need some positive tales!

MissRainbowBrite Wed 06-Dec-17 17:06:19

I don’t know Stoke itself that well but I live about 30 mins drive away and you could quite easily commute in from one of the many surrounding towns which are far nicer than the city. Which area of Stoke will your DH be working in? What sort of thing are you looking for in the area that you move to?

Angryangryyoungwoman Wed 06-Dec-17 17:07:47

I hated living there. Not much culture or anything else really, depressing place. For me, anyway. Lived there for 2 years about 10 years ago, it could have changed

thesandwich Wed 06-Dec-17 17:13:10

Lots of nice places around it and v good theatre- new vic. Some bits to avoid!

larry55 Wed 06-Dec-17 17:19:08

I think Stoke has applied to be city of culture and there was an item on yesterday so I presume the arts scene was growing. Dd was at Keele uni and lived in Stoke for a year near to Sainsbury's - not a good area.

cricketballs3 Wed 06-Dec-17 17:26:22

angry it has changed a lot in the last few years; in terms of the questions you have asked op...

Are you aware the city is a finalist for city of culture? The arts scene is growing at an extremely fast rate with a lot of small studios popping up constantly as well as the established pottery companies. Those companies who no longer have their manufacturing based in Stoke still have their main design studios in the city.

There are a lot of areas that are not the nicest on the eye, but this is quickly improving however the city is surrounded by some gorgeous areas such as Staffs Moorlands all within a 30 minute commute.

Like anything else do not rely on first impressions; the area has a lot more going for it than you would first think (plus house prices are very reasonable!)

cricketballs3 Wed 06-Dec-17 17:31:19

larry the 'Stoke' your DD lived in is the town Stoke and yes it's not the nicest; but the city itself is made up of 6 separate towns and as with all cities there are a lot of areas of deprivation but there are also areas that are beautiful, friendly and lovely to live in

waterrat Thu 07-Dec-17 11:38:50

Thanks people - yes I know Stoke is waiting to hear about the city of culture bid - I think that has given people a lot of hope there that money might be put into regeneration in the area...

MyBrilliantDisguise Thu 07-Dec-17 11:41:44

It's a very ugly city though there's some lovely countryside around it. There wasn't a thriving art scene when I lived there though I believe there's more of one now. Are you looking for somewhere to live there? I'd go for Nantwich or Chester and drive in to work.

victoire1208 Thu 07-Dec-17 11:48:28

Its still largely a deprived area but there are pockets of decent areas to live. The arts scene is limited to the usual panto/Grease tours and the god awful Emma Bridgewater factory. But the museum does try its best to get people involved with some decent stuff...largely in vain. I would consider living in the nearby Moorlands or Newcastle-under-Lyme. I say this as a born and bred Stokie.

victoire1208 Thu 07-Dec-17 11:49:45

It finds out tonight if the bid has been successful.

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 07-Dec-17 11:50:57

Something else to remember is that both Manchester and Birmingham are easily accessible when living in the Stoke area, so are always available for regular/semi regular 'big city' experiences that would probably take no longer to travel to than Central London from the outskirts.

And unless you have a high income, the quality of life that comes from having much lower housing costs is also a very big advantage.

victoire1208 Thu 07-Dec-17 11:57:06

Good areas are
Endon
Stockton Brook
Trentham
Cheddleton
Brown Edge
Leek
Stanley
Although all not technically Stoke they aren't too far out. The Moorland countryside is beautiful and a good base for lots of brill/cheap summer days out. And the schools are good and sought after.

ForgiveMeFatherForIHaveGinned Thu 07-Dec-17 12:13:25

I'm a born and bred Stokie - if you'd asked me my thoughts on the city a few years ago I would have been quite negative really, however there does definitely seem to be an attitude shift at the moment. However, there are still a lot of downbeat locals who can't see the positive changes for what they are - take a look at the comments section on the local newspaper The Sentinel if you want any examples!

Nowadays though, I do love living here. Newcastle under Lyme in particular is growing in terms of a good nightlife - not big clubs (which wouldn't be my scene anyway) but small, independent gin bars and micro-breweries. There is also an arts project called Appetite which puts on free arts events throughout the city.

Lots of schools in the city are also improving, and in all honesty it does feel like a city on the up. But I do think a lot of this hinges on the City of Culture bid, so if we're unsuccessful tonight this may all change!

ZerbaPadnaTigre Thu 07-Dec-17 12:25:38

Stoke has been on the brink of regeneration for a very long time. I don't think any massive change is going to happen to the city any time soon even if it does get city of culture. There are some parts that're nice enough and housing is fairly cheap but I wouldn't describe it as up and coming.

ElsaMars Thu 07-Dec-17 12:42:18

I lived in Stoke for 3 years when I was a student 15 years ago. It wasn't great but I haven't been back, so don't know what's it's like now. Stafford is only about 10 miles away and is quite nice.

Lilithmoon Thu 07-Dec-17 12:47:12

Live in Newcastle under Lyme and work in Stoke. I would recommend both. Friendly, plenty to do, lots of potteries, great cost of living, very central for day trips elsewhere.
I love bringing up my family here.

MikeUniformMike Thu 07-Dec-17 12:49:05

I think pp meant Crewe not Chester. Chester is lovely but about 40 miles away.
Stoke is industrial. There are lots of pretty places not far though. Cheshire, peak district ...
Best bit about Stoke - oatcakes.
Worst bit - could you cope with being called Duck?

MyBrilliantDisguise Thu 07-Dec-17 12:50:46

No, I meant Chester, not Crewe! I know the distance but would rather live there.

MikeUniformMike Thu 07-Dec-17 13:00:17

Me too. I wouldn't want to do the commute though.

victoire1208 Thu 07-Dec-17 13:01:40

Chester would be a min rush hour commute of 1.5 hours on the dreaded A500. Gorgeous but a bit WAG hen night of an evening.

MyBrilliantDisguise Thu 07-Dec-17 13:20:27

Nantwich is lovely. Have a look at houses there, OP¬

BigGirlLittleCity Thu 07-Dec-17 13:26:52

Look at Nantwich, Sandbach and Congleton if you don't mind a commute. Within Stoke-on-Trent itself, Newcastle-under-Lyme and Trentham are worth a look.

MiaowTheCat Thu 07-Dec-17 13:47:39

I've never seen a place with as many Macdonalds as when we were in Stoke (we were there to meet with a possible rescue dog - the McOversupply just struck me as we were en route).

I don't hold much sway over the Capital of Culture thing considering my home town is also one of the finalists and it's a fucking shitehole.

Rafflesway Thu 07-Dec-17 14:48:19

I spent 5 years there during the mid 70’s and absolutely fell in love with the place. 😁

The people were wonderful and at that time it had some of the best nightlife in the U.K. (Very fond memories of the Place, Heavy Steam Machine, Maxim’s etc.). I wanted to stay there but had to return to my home town for family reasons.

I know I am massively out of date but just wanted to raise a shout of support to all the Mnet Stokies. No true it’s not the prettiest of places but having also spent several years in the Cheshire “Golden triangle” I definitely know where I would prefer. During my time there I lived in Burslem, Longton and Newcastle Under Lyme. Happy Days 😍!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now