Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anaemia, Iron infusion and teen DD.

(10 Posts)
SapporoQ Wed 06-Dec-17 10:48:26

My teen DD is very anaemic, she needs an iron infusion but is refusing to have it done because she has a needle phobia. . She has been unable to take iron supplements due to gastric problems and constipation. Her iron level is 6 and it should be 60 apparently.

She is extremely pale, suffering extreme mood swings, fatigue, says she doesn't sleep at night, but whenever I check on her during the night she is asleep. She complains of being unable to focus or concentrate, complains of headaches, dizziness, stomach cramps and diarrhoea. No weight changes.

She has been refusing to go to school, related to classroom bullying and intimidation.

She has heavy periods and started taking the Pill this month to help.

We are at our wits end, her mood swings are making our home life miserable, her school refusal is causing daily stress and everyday I question if her issues are mental health related or not.

Has anyone any experience ? How can I convince her to take the iron infusion and would it quickly make a difference.

SapporoQ Wed 06-Dec-17 18:46:38

Any experiences of iron infusion ?

fidgettt Thu 07-Dec-17 23:45:56

No experience of iron infusion but I've had 3 units of blood transfusions at different times for anaemia. They worked fantastically well.

I'd be inclined to get the doctor to talk to her.

Is she aware they can use EMLA cream to numb the area?

Surely either she has the transfusion or she eventually gets so ill that she ends up in A&E having all sorts of blood tests and treatments anyway? If that's correct, does she know that?

fidgettt Thu 07-Dec-17 23:49:36

I should add that I suspect an iron infusion (which I've never heard of before) will take longer to take affect since red blood cells are replaced totally by the body over a 3 month cycle. So I'd imagine it'd take weeks???

Choccywoccyhooha Fri 08-Dec-17 00:25:13

I have to have iron infusions. I love them. I love knowing that this browny red liquid is going out of the packet into my body and that it will make me feel so much better.
I also love the fact that I get to sit hooked up to a drip on a bed with no one disturbing me for an hour. Bliss. I get myself a good magazine and just enjoy it.

If she has bad anaemia then I guess she has had plenty of blood tests up till now, the needle is no worse than that. Feels a bit strange coming out, but other than that all fine.

She really should have it, she'll be amazed at how much better she feels. Like having a big drink when you're thirsty, though obv a much more delayed reaction.

Choccywoccyhooha Fri 08-Dec-17 00:25:52

And yes, it takes weeks to feel the full effect.

MountainDweller Fri 08-Dec-17 01:18:34

I’ve had an iron infusion as I couldn’t get on with tablets. Small needle prick wasn’t a big deal (not meaning to minimise your dd’s phobia). I felt a bit better immediately and gradually better each day for several weeks. I hope she goes for it. I don’t think the NHS gives them lightly, s they are much more expensive than tablets. So she is lucky to be offered one - try to get her to take advantage of this.

acquiescence Fri 08-Dec-17 08:32:55

Try different forms of iron. I have a liquid formulation prescribed which is usually for children. It is called sodium federetate (brand name Sytron) and delivers the same dose as iron tablets but no gastric effects.

SapporoQ Sun 10-Dec-17 20:47:13

Thank you for the replies.

So we managed to get her to agree to the infusion, it was easy for her and she had no side effects on the day, but yesterday she had pains in all her joints and her feet and hands, which apparently is a common side effect.

She looks even paler, if that is even possible, as she has no colour in her face and lips at all. She gets out of breath just walking up the stairs. Praying this will help her feel better quickly, of course, I keep imagining that there is something much more sinister going on and it just hasn't been discovered yet hmm

Fixmylife Wed 13-Dec-17 08:04:14

Has she been tested for coeliac? That can be an underlying reason for anaemia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now