Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Nice things that have happened this week

(112 Posts)
MrsHathaway Tue 05-Dec-17 10:03:06

Some horrible things have happened in the last week, and sometimes it's hard to keep in our minds the idea that actually 90% of people are decent and kind.

I'd love to hear something nice that's happened to you or your family this week: it doesn't need to be monumental, just something that made you smile.

People have started to put up their Christmas decorations. On Sunday we walked past someone putting up their tree in the bay window, biting her lip making sure the decorations went on in exactly the right places. Some of the decoration were on the window side, so purely for the benefit of passersby rather than the family sitting inside. Houses are starting to twinkle with lights, and the children's school/preschool has got its trees up. People do this for other people because of course once you're indoors you don't see your own outside lights and decorations.

What's made you smile this week?

GreatDuckCookery Tue 05-Dec-17 10:06:29

I noticed a tiny nest in the tree outside my front door this morning. That made me smile smile

ToesInWater Tue 05-Dec-17 10:08:05

My eldest son was offered a permanent role at his work this week. He has had contracts for the past 18 months but this is secure. He got married recently so it is the best news!

MrsHathaway Tue 05-Dec-17 10:11:07

New jobs and birds' nests are definitely nice things.

TillyVonMilly Tue 05-Dec-17 10:11:22

We had a pheasant wandering round the garden on Sunday, it was here for a couple of hours fsmile

RosesInTheHospital Tue 05-Dec-17 10:13:24

I had Christmas lunch with my oldest friends. We don’t get to see each other that often so it’s lovely when we do get the chance. Also the friend hosting knocked it out of the park food wise. We were well and truly spoiled.

MrsBartlettforthewin Tue 05-Dec-17 10:56:19

My DD played her flute at the school's christigle service and read a pray. She was so excited and did a fab job.

lurkymclurkerson Tue 05-Dec-17 11:37:06

I’m off sick with a cold (boo!) but my lovely husband of one month is making me coffee and bringing me cats. And I found a really cheap shampoo that smells great and hasn’t dried my hair out.

MiracleCure Tue 05-Dec-17 11:41:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsHathaway Tue 05-Dec-17 12:09:14

They say it's the little things: it really is.

There's a gas leak being hastily mended so traffic is hideous. People are being so patient and generous in the face of the disruption.

ohtheholidays Tue 05-Dec-17 18:28:04

I got to spend yesterday with my best friend(of nearly 30 years)we had a look round the shops,stopped for coffee,did some more Christmas shopping,stopped and had a nice lunch in a nice pub and downed a few cocktails and then finished of the day with a bit more Christmas shopping.

I got home to a lovely warm,tidy home a nice dinner my DH had cooked and our oldest DS21 came round to have dinner and spend the evening with us.

It was by far the nicest day I've had in a very long time. fsmile

boxoftoads Tue 05-Dec-17 19:34:44

I was asked today to chair a committee into 2019 and beyond.

I'm so chuffed I'm respected as a women in my industry. I might have done an uncool dance in the loo.

HaggisMuncher Tue 05-Dec-17 19:40:27

What a lovely thread! I got to see my 3 year old ds enjoying seeing his grandma and grandad, taking great delight in explaining the plot (as he understands it) to his grandad, and grandad enjoying being explained to smile

BroomHandledMouser Tue 05-Dec-17 19:42:33

The past few weeks have been utter bollocks.

Today was meant to be a tough day. We took the cat to the vets expecting him to be PTS. He has a lot of seizures and we have struggled to keep on top of them.

However, the amazing vet said she has one more trick up her sleeve and has given him a different course of treatment. Just one more try, we haven't lost anything by trying right?

So currently, he's at home purring on my lap - completely unaware of the pain and sadness he could've left behind him

RunningAddict Tue 05-Dec-17 19:44:20

I got the promotion at work that I’ve been working towards for a year! grin

It’s such a good feeling when all the hard work pays off. Love this thread!

Bobbiepin Tue 05-Dec-17 19:46:53

DD smiled for the first time. Never felt anything like it.

IJoinedJustToPostThis Tue 05-Dec-17 19:52:36

Attended a graduation ceremony where a speech maker urged the graduates to be tolerant of family taking thousands of photographs "because every photo they take is them saying 'we love you, and we're proud of you'".

Looks all cheesy written down but it was lovely at the time.

twofloorsup Tue 05-Dec-17 20:01:45

My son got his GCSE mock results at parents evening tonight.
Lost count of how many teachers said he was amazing and awesome smile

Whitelisbon Tue 05-Dec-17 20:12:20

My dts (4) was off nursery ill today. Dtd decided she was going without him.
At sometime, she'd saved him a little bit of her lunch, and, as it was grapes for snack, she'd asked the teachers if she could bring him some home.
They were so happy to see each other, they spent about 30 minutes cuddled up together chatting about their days. And eating a huge tub of grapes!

lovelyjubilly Tue 05-Dec-17 20:18:25

My 5yo dd let me have her preferred yoghurt and settled for second best because she knew I had a stronger preference (hate banana flavoured yoghurt!)

onemorecakeplease Tue 05-Dec-17 20:45:06

Dd stopped being sick and woke up and said good news I feel better!

MrsHathaway Tue 05-Dec-17 23:19:06

All lovely things.

Prosaically I shall add:

DH and I finished the first coat of paint in the playroom, with awkward shapes (it's an extension with a sloping ceiling). It appears we won't need a second coat - it's very close to the original colour and has covered the fingerprints etc beautifully. We can send the second, unopened, tin of paint back for a refund, and the first tin still has enough in it to be worth saving for the next time DC3 decides to emulate Banksy.

Bloodybridget Tue 05-Dec-17 23:25:14

DP and I had a spur-of-the-moment day out to somewhere neither of us had been before; it was really quick to get there, and on way we discovered they had a festival on - we arrived just in time to watch a parade!

WhatsGoingOnEh Tue 05-Dec-17 23:28:22

Lovely thread. 😁

My son's Junior School had a family day today, where parents got to go in and help the kids build models out of junk. It was lovely, really good fun, and my lovely son was delighted to see his old, battered mum there.

My eldest son went to a concert last night with his Dad, at the O2, and had an amazing time and (more importantly!) got there and back safely.

We put a collar on our little rescue cat tonight, and she seems to love it, and looks all settled and content.

My DH ran an errand for me earlier, that I'd been dreading doing, purely out of the kindness of his heart.

I got a lovely email about work earlier, and a bonus from my boss.

MrsHathaway Wed 06-Dec-17 11:44:11

Hoping everyone is having a nice day today.

Am at IKEA in the part of the restaurant where the toddler play area is. Half a dozen children who are complete strangers to each other are playing nicely together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now