Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Have you ever just gone off alcohol?

(32 Posts)
Aquitania Mon 04-Dec-17 12:17:32

100% absolutely definitely not pregnant!

I've always liked a drink, and probably always drank a bit too much - generally a couple of bottles of wine a week, and a lot more if there was an evening out. Really enjoyed a glass of wine, plus definite 'treat'/relaxation associations. I'd done dry January etc in the past and really struggled with it because I loved wine so much.

About six weeks ago I just went right off booze. Not promoted by a hangover or a scary story about binge drinking or anything, just really really didn't fancy it. When I did have a glass of wine with dinner etc I didn't enjoy it and didn't finish it(unheard of for me!)

It's not necessarily a bad thing, lots of benefits to my liver and waistline in being more or less teetotal, but I am puzzled by it. Why on earth has this switch happened? Anyone had similar and have a theory?

Theconifers25 Mon 18-Dec-17 20:11:08

Google brought me to this thread as having same situation. About 4 weeks ago I went off it. Like yourself not due to a shocking hangover etc. My drinking habits pre stopping mirror yours.

I’m quite depressed at present as being trying for a baby for some years now and xmas is always the worse. I wonder if the depression has caused it. I’m not off food at all.
Have done multiple pregnancy tests as don’t get regular periods and was very tired in the afternoon but defo not pregnant.

I don’t think I would vomit if I had a glass of wine etc now but there is zero desire.

Wonder if anyone else has any insight?

JollyGiraffe Mon 18-Dec-17 20:18:25

I completely went off alcohol when I was feeling anxious. I just felt as if I really couldn't stomach it (even a small glass of wine, which is my favourite!).

So maybe similar to conifers - perhaps stress/anxiety/depression affects it, in my experience.

PartridgeInAPetri Mon 18-Dec-17 20:20:18

I used to drink larger, and same happened to me. Went right off it and even the smell makes me want to be sick. That was 12 years ago!

Foxyloxy1plus1 Mon 18-Dec-17 20:22:37

I was never a big drinker, but now drink very rarely and one glass makes me squiffy. Not worth it.

Theconifers25 Mon 18-Dec-17 20:27:14

See I haven’t got the aversion to smell of alcohol. Honestly though I embraced wine, was quite passionate about sourcing good stuff. Now I’m off it that makes me feel sad in itself. I guess it’s a blessing really 😒

seriouslystumped Mon 18-Dec-17 20:28:10

Yep, 15 years ago. Gradually went off all my favourite tipples and now the smell of any alcohol makes me feel sick. Haven't touched a drop since my mid-twenties. Sometimes I wish there was something that I could stomach the taste of!

TalkinBoutWhat Mon 18-Dec-17 20:31:17

Yeah, went out with the intention of sampling lots of vodkas, and couldn't stomach more than a sip. 3 days later I realised I was pregnant....

Messelina Mon 18-Dec-17 20:34:26

Yes, in the last few months. With me I think it's hormonal (arrived with menopause). I just stopped enjoying it. It doesn't give me a lift anymore like it used to, as if my body doesn't process it the same way.

cuirderussie Mon 18-Dec-17 20:43:27

How old are you OP? I went off it recently, in my 40s. Tolerance went down, hangovers worse and it all seemed not really worth it anymore. I still have the odd one but I don't miss it. Which is great for my health, waistline and mood! smile

Theconifers25 Mon 18-Dec-17 20:45:26

I’m 36. I’m so paranoid about going through early menopause I hope it’s nothing to do with that...

Theconifers25 Mon 18-Dec-17 20:47:37

My mum was 36 when going through menopause but I hoped the reason for the prematurely of this for her was because she had some serious reproductive surgery . I can’t remember what it was

lljkk Mon 18-Dec-17 20:48:21

DH is mostly off, and was very off it. No obvious reason, he's just keen.

Theconifers25 Mon 18-Dec-17 20:55:55

I guess sometimes things just happen for no reason lljkk . It could be the same in my case I guess.

GetMeOutOfHerePlease Mon 18-Dec-17 21:03:25

Snap.

I used to drink almost every weekend, and just went off it, I’m almost tee total now, while I know it’s good for me health wise, I’ve been amazed at how hostile some people have been at me not having alcohol, at times I’ve felt more judged for not drinking, than I have for being off my trolley.

Theconifers25 Mon 18-Dec-17 21:09:54

It’s bizarre on every level getmeout!

Gemini69 Mon 18-Dec-17 21:14:34

Yes... maybe 10 years ago... every time I placed a drink to my lips I'd think about the 'potential hangover' fhmm

I stopped drinking alcohol soon after... never looked back fgrin

and Yes I've also endured the 'you're boring have a drink' shenanigans... but I ignore it.. and enjoy myself anyway .

SparklingSnowdrops Mon 18-Dec-17 21:21:32

We were in Tesco at wknd and DH asked if I wanted some wine as they had their 25% off 6 bottles offer on. I declined! Weirdly, lately, wine is having really strange effects on me, even after just a glass so I said - out loud - that I wasn't going to drink wine any more. I don't know what's come over me!

BullshitSandwich Mon 18-Dec-17 21:37:57

Yes, stress did it for me. First it knocked my appetite then, just like you, I was having a drink one night and I just couldn't get it down my neck. Tried again on another couple of occasions but it just tasted different and I didn't want it. I lost a ton of weight!

ForalltheSaints Mon 18-Dec-17 21:39:37

I went off wine, not that I drunk it very often, and so decided not to drink it at all about ten years ago. Still like a gin and tonic, a beer, and the odd whisky though.

Theconifers25 Mon 18-Dec-17 21:45:49

It will be interesting to see if my desire for alcohol returns when/if my MH improves.

Titsywoo Mon 18-Dec-17 21:57:56

I didn't go off it as such but after years of drinking vodka and coke (at least one or two most days) I decided I wasn't going to smoke or drink coke anymore. I'd suffered with an anxiety disorder for about 15 years and figured the nicotine and caffeine weren't doing me any favours. After that I couldn't drink vodka anymore as the other mixers didn't work for me. I went off beer years ago and have always hated wine. The only thing I like now is the fizzy stuff (prosecco, champers etc) but it's not something I can drink too regularly so I now drink probably once a month. Anxiety is long gone too!

Kattymanners Mon 18-Dec-17 22:01:43

Yes me !

The only thing I really like to drink is champagne or cava. I think it's an age thing with me...

Not noticed any weight loss tho hmm

TheVanguardSix Mon 18-Dec-17 22:02:27

Ever since 40. Never was a huge drinker but could pack it away in my 20s. But at 45, I rarely drink, if at all.
What I notice, more than going off it, is that I react to it. So one glass of wine definitely gives me a headache in the morning. I don't notice that alcohol isn't part of my everyday life and that's a good feeling. In other words, I don't miss it.

cuirderussie Mon 18-Dec-17 22:08:13

Wine was the first to go for me too. Pounding headache, inflamed sinuses before I'd even finished a glass! Ah middle age..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now