Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Down Syndrome

(8 Posts)
dowotmakesuhappy Sat 25-Nov-17 17:44:00

Hi,

I am asking this on behalf of a very good friend.

Her just turned 3 year old has DS. He is almost non verbal but understands and can do some makaton.

He started walking about 6 months ago but is very unsteady on his feet and doesn't really bend his knees.

He is a fantastic little boy.

My friend would like to hear from parents of older children with DS to see how their child developed and at what age did they walk 'normally' and to say more than a couple of words.

fiorentina Sat 25-Nov-17 17:59:28

There are some good blogs that maybe helpful for guidance? Don’t be Sorry is a good one. Her son is 5 I think.

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Sat 25-Nov-17 18:01:48

There is a special needs section on here she may find useful

dowotmakesuhappy Sat 25-Nov-17 20:03:19

Bump

user1499695825 Fri 15-Dec-17 15:46:03

Hi. Where is your friend based? There are loads of great support groups that I'm sure she'd find useful to contact. Happy to signpost her to one...'

SomethingNastyInTheBallPool Fri 15-Dec-17 16:28:18

The age at which children with DS walk varies massively, and the same is true of other aspects of development.
FB is a good source of information and support. The Future Of Down’s FB group is the biggest UK-based group and whatever your friend wants to know, there’ll always be someone on it who can help.
Whereabouts is your friend based?

x2boys Fri 15-Dec-17 16:49:22

i dont think you can compare two children with down syndrome,my sone doesn have down syndrome he has another much rarer chromosome disorder and you just cant compare how different people will be affected facebook is really good for disability groups and support.

SomethingNastyInTheBallPool Fri 15-Dec-17 18:08:10

All children are different, of course, but I think it can be helpful for parents to hear from other parents how things have been for them - the stuff you don’t get told in the leaflets. Eg, “My son didn’t walk until he was 3 but he’s 10 now and his gait is fine. We found XYZ useful to help his walking...”

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now