Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Help me like porridge

(118 Posts)
ArgyMargy Sat 25-Nov-17 09:24:49

I have a loathing of porridge that stems from my mother making it with water and cheap oats. It's been at least 40 years since I ate any.

I know it is the healthiest breakfast around so I'd like to give it another go. Where should I start? Recommend me a recipe, method, added ingredient or even a coffee-shop favourite instant version!

Gammeldragz Sat 25-Nov-17 09:26:35

Porridge isn't that healthy really. Especially as people tend to put sweet stuff on it. If I had porridge for breakfast I'd be really hungry a few hours later.

lilydaisyrose Sat 25-Nov-17 09:26:50

I can't help you here as I like mine with golden syrup or with cream and Brown sugar!!

RoganJosh Sat 25-Nov-17 09:27:08

I can’t cope with the gloopy/slimy texture at all. I keep trying it. But I’m ok with overnight oats, so maybe try that.
I make enough for three days, add a packet of frozen fruit, 250g of say cherry yoghurt and 2/3 of the yogurt pot full of water.

squirrelonapetridish Sat 25-Nov-17 09:27:24

Make it with full fat milk for a start, then add berries/honey/toppings of your choice. In a pan is probably the best way, but I usually save time and use the microwave.

Ryebreadandwine Sat 25-Nov-17 09:28:34

I now love porridge. I sprinkle in loads of cinnamon, a handful of sultanas and raisins, a whole sliced banana. Add water and a teaspoon of honey. Give it a really good still and pop in the microwave for 2.5 mins. Delicious! It’s like eating a cinnamon bun. I especially love cinnamon buns. You can put whatever fruit you like in it. You can use milk instead of water. Almond milk is nice with it. I don’t do dairy so I don’t use milk.

squirrelonapetridish Sat 25-Nov-17 09:28:58

But like another poster said it's not the healthiest and actually doesn't keep you full for that long. You're best off with lots of protein in the morning, eggs are great in any form.

wapphighwood Sat 25-Nov-17 09:28:58

Mix in peanut butter ( if you like it)

BobbinThreadbare123 Sat 25-Nov-17 09:30:30

I have porridge every morning. I make mine in the microwave with soya milk. Then it gets a squeeze of honey. Simple and delicious. It's so nice when it's cold in the mornings and it's my go to if I feel poorly as well.

OutToGetYou Sat 25-Nov-17 09:31:11

At home I make it with almond milk instead of dairy, then I put a cinnamon stick in while cooking. I add a small amount of raw cocoa powder to it and a handful of blueberries.
It's lovely!

BakedBeans47 Sat 25-Nov-17 09:33:20

I’ve tried but I just can’t stand it. I’ve given up now.

villamariavintrapp Sat 25-Nov-17 09:54:34

I make it savoury-cheese and cumin, cheese and peanut butter, etc then over microwave till it's more like flapjack.. Also had a curried version, which was like soup.. Quite liked it..

Witchend Sat 25-Nov-17 09:58:17

My suggestion:
Add a spoonful of jam
Smother with clotted cream

Replace porridge with a scone.

Hope that helps wink

Pemba Sat 25-Nov-17 09:58:41

I cheat and have that Oatso Simple stuff usually - but it tastes the same I guess. I do find it fills me up really well and I am quite greedy. I don't seem to need to sweeten it or anything.

I love the oaty smell. Do you not like oatcakes or anything either? You could mix it with cream, add cinnamon, honey, fruit? When I was a kid I liked it for the Goldilocks associations!

ColonelJackONeil Sat 25-Nov-17 09:59:59

What about overnight oats it's a different texture not so gloopy . Another way is to add some oats to your smoothy.

Pemba Sat 25-Nov-17 10:02:01

But I thought it was supposed to be healthy, squirrel because oats release the energy slowly or something? Personally I never feel like eggs or bacon or anything in the morning, it's too much.

Plasticgold Sat 25-Nov-17 10:03:59

Almond milk, cinnamon, stewed apple and brown sugar. It's like pudding, at breakfast!

Rikalaily Sat 25-Nov-17 10:06:10

I make it with milk, add some sugar and a chopped up banana mmmm

fleurjasmine Sat 25-Nov-17 10:07:42

I do love lilydaisyrose's version of porridge, but I do like all porridge, including gruel!grin

gingerclementine Sat 25-Nov-17 10:08:23

I make it with milk but no sugar, lots of cinnamon, a bit of ground ginger and some vanilla essence (which tastes as though it's sweet when it isn't) and some berries stirred in. But I love it anyway. It does have a gloopiness that not everyone is going to like.
Overnight oats have more texture.
Or have greek yoghurt and berries or scrambled eggs instead.

Scruffette Sat 25-Nov-17 10:09:43

Make it into granola. 500g mix of oats, sunflower seeds, flaked almonds, whatever you like (I do oats, sunflower seeds and milled chia seeds - I add the last ones after the toasting along with cinnamon). Heat 200g honey or maple syrup then mix dry ingredients with sweetener. Line a roasting tin with baking paper and tip the whole mix in. Bake in the oven stirring every so often to get an even colour. When it's turning golden brown take it out and let cool. It will crisp up as it cools, then add chia seeds and cinnamon or dried fruit before storing.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 25-Nov-17 10:10:56

I love porridge. It's really nice with a spoon of Bounty spread or jam or lemon curd. I usually buy Ready Brek or the Oats So Simple. There's a pumpkin spice one that is delicious with a spoon of salted caramel sauce.

Scruffette Sat 25-Nov-17 10:12:13

Or: banana milkshake. A handful of oats whizzed in a nutribullet, add sliced frozen bananas, a spoonful of cocoa powder, a spoonful of smooth peanut butter and some almond milk (or water or milk) and whizz til you have a milkshake.

Noofly Sat 25-Nov-17 10:16:27

I like my porridge all lumpy and solid not gloopy so I make it a couple of hours before I’m going to eat it, or the night before. I do 40g oats with 220ml milk on the stovetop. I add nutmeg, 15g walnuts and loads of blueberries. Pure bliss.

Cheesecake53 Sat 25-Nov-17 10:17:10

I recently started having porridge in the morning and it has helped me lose weight because I do not feel hungry again so quickly.

I use 40g rolled oats (3 heaped table spoons) and 250ml full fat milk. I let it boil and simmer and it takes about 10 to 16 min, depending how big the flame is. I then add a table spoon of apple compott (I cook apples and store the mousse in jars). This is really yummy I find smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now